Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker

Starlord

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Unless one suspects them... of treason. 

regardless, letting your troops believe you are going to fly aimlessly until death, might not be the best morale booster.

Edit: Huldo may or may not be a good strategist, but she was a horrible judge of troop morale.  And that can often ruin a good strategy.

What? You mean the idea that 2 fleets match velocity so closely that neither gains or loses range over the course of several days doesn't make sense to you? Or the idea of launching the hundreds of tie fighters in your star destroyers to cover your dreadnaughts from a fighter and bomber attack? Or building quadrillion credit planet killers when you could just lightspeed   collision into them with droid ships? What more tactical sense could you want?

On December 27, 2019 at 9:09 AM, Cygnia said:

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but in regards to the "whatever that kid's name was's redemption arc goes too quickly," I would like to point out that Vader's "redemption arc" was less than ten minutes.   Less than ten!

It _kills_ me that people hold this crap in such high regard.

I think what it really comes down to is how the story is inevitably told.  4-6 is how to tell a good story.  7-9 will go down as how not to tell your story.  It may be the same story, but the former you can feel was told by your local wizened sage around a campfire.  The latter you can feel was told by your drunk uncle after a drunken weekend bender.

18 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Yeah, it said it upset a lot of fans, given the feeling about her character in the previous movie, I am betting it made a whole lot more other fans happy.  (like I said, I am more forgiving of Rose than Huldo, but that doesn't mean I am crazy about the character)

14 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Yes I am. I'm evil. Darth Bazza. 

I prefer the Sith, but I am not taking the Darth title.  As cool as Darth Badger, sounds I gotta be me, and rebel against titles.

I would not become a Sith for the political intrigue, I'd just want to kick some Jedi ____

On 12/28/2019 at 6:17 PM, Grailknight said:

What? You mean the idea that 2 fleets match velocity so closely that neither gains or loses range over the course of several days doesn't make sense to you? Or the idea of launching the hundreds of tie fighters in your star destroyers to cover your dreadnaughts from a fighter and bomber attack? Or building quadrillion credit planet killers when you could just lightspeed   collision into them with droid ships? What more tactical sense could you want?

Allowing the faster-than-light ramming attack literally broke the Star Wars universe.

Deathstars can be taken out by a single FTL droid-manned fighter.  So can all other ships and planets.  Game. Over.

1 minute ago, ScottishFox said:

Allowing the faster-than-light ramming attack literally broke the Star Wars universe.

Deathstars can be taken out by a single FTL droid-manned fighter.  So can all other ships and planets.  Game. Over.

Yeah, if I was going to watch Rise of Skywalker, it better have consisted of a battle of 2 droid-manned fleets trying to outmaneuver each other into suicide jumping the other. Like I previously mentioned.

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah, if I was going to watch Rise of Skywalker, it better have consisted of a battle of 2 droid-manned fleets trying to outmaneuver each other into suicide jumping the other. Like I previously mentioned.

Now that I think about it - they completely ignored the possibility of hitting solid objects while performing FTL skips during the Rise of Skywalker.

If you can hit solid objects while travelling FTL then a single chunk of anything the size of a pebble will erase your ship and given the amount of space debris from the recent wars...

47 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Now that I think about it - they completely ignored the possibility of hitting solid objects while performing FTL skips during the Rise of Skywalker.

If you can hit solid objects while travelling FTL then a single chunk of anything the size of a pebble will erase your ship and given the amount of space debris from the recent wars...

Not to mention you would HAVE to pull out of hyperspace before you enter a solar system, all kinds of little meteorite (or meteoroid, my memory is mixing up which is space and which is hit atmosphere) that are wandering around.

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I'm going to limit myself to just one "Yeah.....  _that's_ what broke it......." comment and then move on.  :lol:

But it's nice to see that so many people totally got the implication there, as no one in the audience I shared the theater with seemed to appreciate the ramifications of that _at all_.  :(

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Again, it's nice to see people appreciating just how superfluous every single character (and that idiotic Jedi / Sith thing) became in that instant.

And while I'm enjoying such technically-minded company, does anyone remember a particular novel-- No; I don't remember the title.  I am trying to find that title, as it was the first thing I thought of when the ship turned and "light speeded" into the bad guy's flagship.

At any rate: what I remember of the novel:

1) it wasn't very good.  I don't mean just that it wasn't very satisfying (which it wasn't), but it wasn't particularly well-written, either.

2) races that were on the verge of discovering FTL were instantly deleted from the universe by FTL weapons:  put an FTL drive on a reasonable chunk of mass, and point it toward a planet.  Let physics take care of the rest.

3) No one ever saw it coming.  :rofl:   No; I don't find that unbelievable.  In fact, it made so much sense that I was a bit taken aback to see it in a sci-fi book.  It amused me.

The premise was that achieving FTL gave you the ultimate weapon: physics said so.  And no one could stop you from using it, because they would never know that you used it.  I will level with you: the entire book read like it was written by someone who _hated_ the FTL trope in sci-fi.  The thing was he did such a practical job of handling the problem (go ahead and make it a weapon, and make sure that no one else ever will) that I had a grudging admiration for him.

The problem, as I said, is that the book, while built around a delightful premise, was not well-written, meaning it was not particularly memorable, and I have to read it again because as I try to narrow down which book it was, I remember _nothing_ about the plot or the conclusion; I remember only that delightful "practical response to practical danger" premise.

Can anyone here help a bit?

Thanks to those who can!

Star Wars’ last Jedi may use the Force of quantum science
https://theconversation.com/star-wars-last-jedi-may-use-the-force-of-quantum-science-88764

The Last Jedi: latest Star Wars is a fable for our post-truth times

https://theconversation.com/the-last-jedi-latest-star-wars-is-a-fable-for-our-post-truth-times-89256