Valentine: The Dark Avenger

Greywind

The same could be said of science fiction movies.  Unless it was something like Things To Come, Forbidden Planet or 2001: A Space Odyssey (and how often did one of those come along?) most science fiction movies were either Saturday matinee fare aimed at kids, or horror-themed movies aimed at teenagers.  That is, until George Lucas came along and changed everything.

This movie looks good.  Reminds me of an idea I had for a character--a guy who was a really big fan of a certain wall-crawling web-slinging wonder heard that Hollywood was making a movie about that particular hero, he decided he was the perfect choice to play the part.  But how do you convince the directors and studio executives of that fact?  Simple--you put on a costume that resembles the hero, then go out and fight crime.

Red Spider turned out to be surprisingly good at busting up muggings and stick-up robbers.  Armed with his wits and a capturefoam gun (the closest thing to his hero's webbing) he made a name for himself in his hometown.  Hollywood never came calling, though, except for a couple of encounters with copyright attorneys.

Looking forward to this movie.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:19 PM, wcw43921 said:

The same could be said of science fiction movies.  Unless it was something like Things To Come, Forbidden Planet or 2001: A Space Odyssey (and how often did one of those come along?) most science fiction movies were either Saturday matinee fare aimed at kids, or horror-themed movies aimed at teenagers.  That is, until George Lucas came along and changed everything.  

Star Wars was decidedly for kids, Lucas didn't change anything.

I guess I'm the contrarian regarding the OP too, I don't think it looks very good at all, but I'll watch it and give it a chance.

18 minutes ago, Armory said:

Star Wars was decidedly for kids, Lucas didn't change anything.

I am not much of a fan of Lucas but there is no denying he changed many things.

He made sfx an industry. 

Made the music score a highly important part of the experience. 

He created the movie merchandise industry. 

I could go on. There is no denying SW was unlike anything that went before. 

6 hours ago, Jagged said:

I am not much of a fan of Lucas but there is no denying he changed many things.

He made sfx an industry. 

Made the music score a highly important part of the experience. 

He created the movie merchandise industry. 

I could go on. There is no denying SW was unlike anything that went before. 

I give John Williams more credit for that than George Lucas. It may have been Lucas' idea, but Williams made it work. And how.