Disney+

Greywind

3 hours ago, Greywind said:

There's no indication that the service itself was hacked. As the article notes, 

It’s likely hackers found email and password combinations re-used by Disney Plus subscribers after they’d previously been stolen from other online services.

Streaming services would be great if there were ONE, with all content (at least all that a particular viewer were interested in), for less than what cable costs.

When there are a dozen streaming services, and a viewer's desired content is spread across them all, and their aggregate cost is the same or greater than a cable subscription . . . welp, we're right back to pirating being the optimal solution.

8 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

Streaming services would be great if there were ONE, with all content (at least all that a particular viewer were interested in), for less than what cable costs.

When there are a dozen streaming services, and a viewer's desired content is spread across them all, and their aggregate cost is the same or greater than a cable subscription . . . welp, we're right back to pirating being the optimal solution.

I'm subscribed to four paid services, and my total is much lower than what I was paying when I had cable.Everything's on-demand, so I watch when I want. I still get discs from Netflix, so stuff that isn't on the main streaming can often be added to my disc queue.

I supplement that with free services through my library district. Kanopy is a service that has foreign film, classic movies (including Criterion Collection releases), and documentaries. AcornTV has a bunch of British series, and Hoopla has a mix of movies, TV, music, comics, audiobooks and ebooks. And there's always the DVDs available for checkout at the local branches.

I'm also a collector of physical media, so if all else fails, I can always pop in a disc and watch something good.

11 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

The funny thing about the pirating is that almost everyone online who I've seen discuss multiple streaming services arising saw it coming. It had been, IIRC, Dying down somewhat. And some folks credited Netflix with that. And now Pirating is on the uptick again.

Expect lobbyists to push the American government to go after IP privacy with a vengeance again

So for years I've used my Samsung Blu-Ray to stream YouTube, Netflix and Hulu to my TV.  Samsung stopped supporting Blu-Ray and stopped updating the software, so no Disney+ app was forthcoming.  Thus I was finally motivated to buy a Roku.  Got it all set-up and...it's dark.  Dark as heck.  So dark that when I watched the Mandalorian, I had literally no idea what was happening in 90% of the scenes.  Literally the only scene I could actually see what was happening was the shoot-out with IG-11 and the battle with the Mudhorn because their the only scenes that takes place in broad daylight.  The scene where the uggnaut helps the mando rebuild his ship?  5 minutes of black screen with a few points of red light.  And I can't adjust the brightness of my screen because I lost my TV remote years ago.  My TV is also a Samsung, and the Blu-Ray remote has a power, volume and source buttons for the TV, so I haven't NEEDED the remote in years.  But now I had to go buy a new remote so that I can turn up the brightness and actually see what the heck I'm watching.  So now I get to wait two days to get a remote so I can rewatch a show I just watched and maybe this time have some frigging clue what the frig is happening on this frigging show.

I hate technology.  Nobody had these problems when the only source of entertainment was talking to another human being.  But I can't even enjoy that, because all my friends want to talk about is the goddamn Mandalorian!

1 hour ago, Usagi said:

Oh wow, I just tried to watch the show on my laptop.  The difference is mind blowing.  It's like:

dark.jpg

I think that it might be an error with the HDR processing on your Roku. With HDR10 processing, the scene should have a bright circle around the two lights on the left, and all of the highlights that are visible in the laptop picture should be much brighter. The lens flare above the Mandalorian's head on the right of the picture looks blue-white on my TV. The lower part of the picture should be black. If your TV doesn't support HDR, then it should look closer to your laptop picture, but slightly brighter overall.

My setup is a Roku Ultra connected to a Samsung 4K TV.

12 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

With HDR10 processing, the scene should have a bright circle around the two lights on the left, and all of the highlights that are visible in the laptop picture should be much brighter.

That's not an actual screenshot, I just took the laptop screenshot into photoshop and turned up the contrast and reduced the brightness to give a sense of how dark and washed out my Roku is.

2 minutes ago, Usagi said:

That's not an actual screenshot, I just took the laptop screenshot into photoshop and turned up the contrast and reduced the brightness to give a sense of how dark and washed out my Roku is.

That's almost the definition of an HDR source being shown on a non-HDR display. Does your TV support HDR?

11 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Does your TV support HDR?

I have no idea.  I don't even know what HDR is.

EDIT:  I don't think my TV supports HDR.  Neither does my Roku, which is the Roku Express.

30 minutes ago, Usagi said:

I have no idea.  I don't even know what HDR is.

HDR is High Dynamic Range video, generally found on newer 4K TVs. Recent Samsung 4K TVs support a format called HDR10, and the Roku will display The Mandalorian in that format on compatible TVs. If your Roku is set up wrong, however, it might display HDR on a non-HDR capable TV, which would give you either a very dark picture like what you have, or it would look overexposed on really bright scenes.

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

We're getting it for a trial run at least.  Disney+ is awesome, and I was impressed with the number of titles already.  The Fox takeover really makes a difference.  

Gargoyles!

The launch of Disney+ is the very definition of a Xanatos Plan.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They're gonna make a bajillion bucks because every parent will feel like they have to get Disney+ and every Marvel Zombie will get it.  Even the remaining Star Wars die hards will get it to see shows like Mandalorian.  Just not from me :)

You may not be wrong.  Disney has a strong enough catalog that they will probably do well.  The same cannot be said for many of the other new streams.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

I'm signed up for the long haul.

Verizon gave out a free year to all of their customers with unlimited data, I paid in advance for two years and got a third year for free when they did a sale a month or so ago.

I am covered for the next four years of Disney+ content releases. :) 

Disney+ Founders Circle, but no Verizon, so only 3 years for me.