[Forum Software] My eyes...my eyes!

Ragitsu

Ah....histrionics.

OH GOD....MY EYES!  The goggles -- they do nothing!

The background went from slightly grayed white to white.  Why...it's like nothing I've ever seen before!  No other place on the internet would EVER do this kind of thing.  Well...except for Facebook, Twitter, Reddit....

Stop griping.

I tried Dark Reader for Chrome for all of about 2 minutes.  Unwanted side effects galore with other things, such as my themes for my GMail pages, and with a dark theme I was using on a different site.  And it slowed initial page display down a bit.  

Simon...I went to a dark theme for FB because the white was too much.  And we are your customers, we have the right to gripe.  I've NEVER liked pure white as the dominant color.

Thankfully, I have a page open that displays the forums before the alteration; I'll see about uploading a comparison. The difference is virtually night and day.

Edit ->

The previous forum color scheme was an unappealing glare (though not quite this bad). I turned to a Firefox add-on called "Dark Background and Light Text" that ended up being useful not only for this HERO haunt, but also other forums that (for whatever reason) have embraced emulating snow blindness. For the longest time, this bit of software worked just fine without my intervention; I never had to adjust it or otherwise engage in any sort of regularly occurring maintenance. It appears the add-on stopped functioning here about two days ago. I revisited those previously mentioned forums to ensure that the add-on hadn't failed completely. "Dark Background and Light Text" is still functioning properly on other websites. Strange...

(In case anyone is interested, you can alter the background color and text color with the aforementioned add-on.)

Previous forum appearance.png

Current forum appearance.png

The only thing I don't like is the new two-colum format for topics, with the summary info at top, and the text boxes for the posts being narrowed. Once you scroll past the right hand content, you get a ton of white space. That's relatively easily fixed from my end, though.  Oh! I see that's already gone! :thumbup:Oops, not gone. Just not on all post. Maybe it's just a stat block for popular posts? 🤷‍♂️

I do prefer black letters on white text. This gray text fad over the last few years infuriates me.

In reading Ragitsu's post, I think it is about disliking a change that lost functionality/compatibility (with an addon he uses) that was previously present and working without issue.

I think the issue is that forum software can't be expected to work with every third-party addon out there in perpetuity. And just because said addon works with other sites doesn't obligate this site to maintain compatibility with it as a priority.

Just a side note: As I pointed out in my first post in the thread: Every time this forum software gets updated, the theme seems to get reset. You guys should be used to this by now. I can see how Simon's annoyed by the tone of some of the responses. Given that Simon's been keeping our little hangout running through the apocalypse here, and tensions are high due to 2020 being a suckfest, we should probably cut him some slack. I've been on the board since like 1999 or 2000, and it's not been as well-run as it has been under Simon.

Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya, now. At least we can still asynchronously communicate.

33 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The only thing I don't like is the new two-colum format for topics, with the summary info at top, and the text boxes for the posts being narrowed. Once you scroll past the right hand content, you get a ton of white space. That's relatively easily fixed from my end, though.  Oh! I see that's already gone! :thumbup:Oops, not gone. Just not on all post. Maybe it's just a stat block for popular posts? 🤷‍♂️

It looks like it'll be present on posts that exceed a certain number of pages over a period of time -- a way to keep track of potentially useful/popular/interesting posts that may otherwise get lost.

Edit: I've changed it so that it should show under the first post in a thread rather than as a sidebar.

Hmm..."I dislike this issue and here is why" receives a polite response and a change.

"AAAAAHHHHH  The sky is falling!  THE SKY IS FALLING!!" is received with a more dismisive tone. 

Go figure.

It took me a couple of minutes to find "mark forum read" after the change.  It's perfectly readable.  I am pretty sure either Windows or my monitor, maybe both, can adjust brightness, if the light from your monitor is scorching the wall it faces.