Aaron Allston

HeroGM

Strike Force remains one of his best, and his work on GAZ01 - Kingdom of Karameikos set a standard of what country books should be like. 

To me he is like Jack 'the King's Kirby. Kirby would drop little nuggets in the comics he wrote and you'd never hear of it again -  Allston seemed to drop little nuggets the DM/GM could play with and go a completely different direction. Just a line here or there. 

Hero Games wouldn't have been what it was and is without Aaron Allston. His Strike Force was certainly seminal, but he co-wrote Justice Inc. which opened the pulp role-playing genre. He also gave us the first "lost world" setting tailored for gaming in that era, Lands of Mystery. Aaron created the first "organization book" for Champions, The Circle and M.E.T.E., introducing a new sub-category for supers gaming. His Ninja Hero invented the modular martial-arts system still used in Hero System. Aaron wrote the first Campaign Classic, Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes, demonstrating how to tailor Hero System to fit a distinctive setting. And of course he edited Adventurers Club for several years.

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Aaron wrote the first Campaign Classic, Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes

He of course did write Mythic Greece and it was a wonderful book (never got to play a campaign based off it, but it was a great read), but the first "Campaign Classic" was actually Robin Hood, published the year before. </pedant>

Aaron also published articles in the Space Gamer that kind of chronicled his discovery and embracing of Champions - and eventually ended up as editor of that magazine for a spell.

Taken too soon... :(

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

I have two copies of Strike Force. Just saying

My second copy is still shrink-wrapped. 😁

Many years ago, a small game store (in Texas maybe) listed one on Ebay.

Just for the heck of it, I sent an email and asked if they had any more.

The said that they had several copies that were brand new and still wrapped up in plastic.

I think I may have even posted something here to let the other Hero fans know.

ka.