Winter Holidays 2021!

6 minutes ago, Cancer said:

What is "snu" in this context?  It clearly is not the SNU I teach about.

Not a Futurama fan?

The women are Amazonians from the planet Amazonia.

The cast members, for reasons I can't recall, are stranded here.  The women are treated as equal; the men are taken captive.  The most memorable line is when one of the guards turns to the men and asks "You want die like other men visit Amazonia?"

"i don't know; how'd they die?"

"Crushed pelvis" while pointing to reclining skeletons with crushed pelvises.

All  the men, in unison, "Yes, please!"

Later, the men are sentenced to "Death, by Snu-Snu."  The men keep flashing between face-splitting grins and abject horror.

Which I why I cackle uncontrollably every time that commercial for Southern New Hampshire University plays on the television.

6 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

hallmark-christmas-movie-plot-generator.

I remember the first time The Flash appeared on an episode of Supergirl, and thinking "They (Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist) should do a Hallmark Christmas movie together."  Only I thought it should have Gustin who plays the big-city guy who comes to the small town and meets Benoist's character.

Someone wanna get started on the script?  If we hurry we can have this ready for 2022.

3 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

Someone wanna get started on the script?  If we hurry we can have this ready for 2022.

Those things have scripts!?!  I thought they took scrabble tiles and tossed them like the I-Ching and wrote down whatever came up.

7 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

hallmark-christmas-movie-plot-generator.

Okay this is too coincidental, so here we go.

So I spent five days last week at the hospital waiting for my stepmom to die.  (Which she eventually did and though sad it was for the best for her.)  In the meantime, we had to assume she was occasionally lucid, and the hospital room TV didn't have any nature channels so the next best thing to have on for her sake was the Hallmark Christmas Channel.  So I watched a lot of Hallmark Christmas movies last week.  And I have a newfound respect for them, because they really are perfect for that particular set of circumstances.

That said, they are even more formulaic than this graphic would suggest.  They even have a stable of actors that they reuse so it's impossible to separate them in my mind, except maybe for the token Hanukkah one.  But as we went in and out of the room we'd joke that (for example) we'd be back before the big fight over the ridiculous misunderstanding, or that the nurse would be coming in to turn stepmom around the time of the meet cute.  Seriously you can set your watch by these.

In order to maintain the last shreds of our sanity, we began to "predict" alternate endings for each film:

• The girl has found nine of the missing Christmas ornaments so far... and when she finds the 13th it will open the unholy portal and summon Krampus.
  • The amnesiac woman journeys back to her hometown to jog her memory... where she remembers the murders.
  • The career-oriented lawyer hires an actor to play her boyfriend at the family Christmas dinner*... and gets disowned by her family when they find out because seriously who does that.
  • The big city lawyer returns to her hometown to save the Christmas lodge from a buyout by developers...
  • The career-oriented baker takes a 3am phone order from a single dad who can't sleep either...
  • The world weary thrift shop volunteer joins forces with a down-on-his-luck journalist to track down the owner of a charm bracelet...

And so on.  I didn't get to see "Sister Swap", though, which was heavily advertised during commercial breaks, and sounds like... another genre entirely.

Anyway, before last week, the Hallmark Christmas Channel was just a joke to me.  Now it is still a joke to me, but it will also forever remind me of my stepmom.  Thanks for reading.

* This was the actual plot!  It was the token Hanukkah movie, as the "actor" was Jewish.  It also had Bruce Boxleitner, who has aged well.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Cancer said:

Here in Seattle, earliest sunset happens on Dec 10 or 11 (both are listed as 16:19:36 local time).  Days will continue to get shorter until the solstice on the 21st, and then start getting longer; latest sunrise will happen on the 31st.

Ho ho ferking ho.

Yep, deep into the "it's dark when I get to work" and "it's dark when I get home" season......