Names for a Witch

assault

I have a character who is a witch. I don't want to have to say this, but I want to make it clear without saying that.

Obviously her name is the best giveaway.

So, I need a name that says "she's a witch!"

Endora from Bewitched was a good name - a reference to the biblical Witch of Endor - but obviously that's not suitable ("been done").

Hecate could work, but it's a bit too obvious.

Can anyone think of a name that generically says "witch!"?

Non-English names are OK.

Well, in Bewitched all the witches had names ending in "A"--Samantha, Endora, Serena, Clara, etc.  So any name ending with that letter might work well for you.  Here's a few suggestions--

Marquessa

Enchantra

Elenia

Clarissa

Alyssa (after Alyssa Milano, who played one of the Charmed sisters)

Fatara (a play on the word "Fate")

Helena

Fiona

Marcella
Carmilla

Of course, actions and attitude are more telling than any name.  A character is more likely to identify herself as a witch if she goes around saying things like "Blessed Be!" and "Goddess Be Praised!"  A dead giveaway would be if she flew around on a broomstick, or wore black all the time--especially with one of those big pointed hats.

Hope that helps.

For the "older woman" type of witch, just a proper name preceded by Mother, Granny, etc. is traditional. Allegedly RL Mother Shipton, folklorfe Mother Gothel, fictional Granny Weatherwax, etc. The name of Baba Yaga, from Russian fairy tales, simply means "Little Grandmother."

Scottish legend has Allison Gross, which suggests another style: just an ordinary name with a hint of Dickensian grotesquery. ("Allison Gross/She must be/The ugliest witch/In the North Country...")

Dean Shomshak

Hextra.

Castaspella.

Magica.

Witch Hazel.

Heck, if you really want to make it clear that she is a witch, just have her refer to herself as simply "Witch". The explanation...she is so old that she has forgotten her own name, and never cared for it anyways. So she is named after her profession. Note: This is good for a character who is not supposed to be evil, but still a witch of some kind. If all witches are supposed to be evil in your universe then forget this.