World Creation Superdraft 6: May 2022

19 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

That rules out my other choices, so I choose The Lovers. A domain others have used before, so no bonus, but I trust I can make it interesting.

Dean Shomshak

Love was the primary choice so Lovers could be different. If you explain it, it might be unique  but as you have not had Love before you do qualify for a bonus.

After 3-5 choices you can select a bonus but more information soon.

If you please the Goddess of the Moons she will be pleased but only a fool upsets her. For her mood can take a dark and ugly turn as she never forgives a slight until she can do something about it. However it comes about either hot or cold, the Goddess will have retribution for any insult. If her name is abused she will be annoyed; if her influence is negated she will be irritated; if her moons are attacked she will be angry; but her anger will never be assuaged if her people are attacked.

She is the Goddess of Revenge

And you don't want to know how far she will go

Secondary Domain: Revenge 

So, we're gonna play it dark? All right, let's do this.

The Druun are a species that plague both the light and dark sides of the world. They're not quite sentient, but they are definitely ravenous. They feed on the darkest impulses of the human (and inhuman) soul: greed, anger, fear, mistrust, and vanity. When they strike, they consume the victim's soul and leave only a petrified body behind. There are only two known defences against their corruption. First, the Druun cannot cross moving water. Second, one that is pure in heart and mind is immune to their soul-consuming magic. Furthermore, it is rumoured that if Druun are destroyed or suppressed, the stolen souls of their victims will return to them and their stone will return to flesh.

And now the bad news: Nobody know that the Druun are here. Yet.

Fauna: The Druun

Magnificent_Raya-2-768x517.jpg

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

For me, well, I almost did go with Sun, but I had like five others on my maybe list (Tyranny was one of them)  and figured what the heck. I'd give those playing the nicer gods someone to worry about/plot against. 

Tyranny is going to be added to the list of fun domains like Evil and Chaos.

The Lovers we are, for Love exists only as a relation: a lover and a beloved.

We take no name or image for Ourselves, for We are seen in the face of the one you love.

We are all forms of love: the mad crush, the comfort of spouses grown old together, the parent and child, the child and parent, friend and friend, and so many more.

O mortals, you can live without Us, but rarely do you then find life worth living.

e12d5bc8bfdda9ac7dd4f71a965632fb.jpg.f0dc55eea3709df375855791e801a31a.jpg

Do these gentle sentiments encompass Us? No, mortals, no.

For Us do parents toil their lives away, suffering that their children may live.

Yet for Us do mortals abandon their families and betray their countries. A lifetime thrown away for a moment of passion.

For Us will you tell any lie, commit any theft. For Us will you murder the rival, or die for your despair.

Be warned, O mortals. We are the most terrible of gods. The Tyrant thinks he is mighty, but Love conquers all.

Primary Domain: Love in all its forms, from raw lust to patriotic fervor... and all things done becauswe of it, from the highest self-sacrifice to the most appalling crimes.

Dean Shomshak

Assault's bonus is a Geography

csyphrett gets a second Interference

Hermit gets a second Mythic Monster/Guardian

L Marcus gets a second Interference

Log gets a second Mythic Monster/Guardian

Old Man gets a second sentient life 

Pariah gets the secondary domain/choice of their wish

Psybolt gets a secondary domain/choice of their wish

Sociotard gets a second sentient life 

After Thursday's choice the bonuses can be selected

EDIT: Based on the above from DShomshak I hereby award a free choice bonus.

6 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Alright here we go. We haven't always had a planet explicitly, but this time we do.

Geography pick: a tidally locked planet! This means half of the world will always face the Sun, half always in night. And a middle strip in perpetual twilight. A twilight zone, if you will.

Hmm. So where is Death's domain?

All* come to Death, so Death's domain can be reached from all parts of the world.

Geography: Beneath the surface of the world lies the Underworld. The world is hollow! Within the Underworld lies the Gardens of the Just, the Pits of the Unjust, and the great Limbo, wherein wander the spirits of those that were neither.

I'll see you in Hekk!

(Is the "within" stuff a bit much for a single pick?)

* Except immortals, if they exist.

In order to explain the extra choices I propose explaining it by the goddess of the Moons interacting with the other gods.

For example Chroma is experimenting with colour and lights up the Moons which so entrances the Goddess she gives him a gift.

With the God of Tyranny, the pair are discussing the aftermath of a battle and the Goddess points out that Tyranny etc can lead to Revenge but Revenge can lead to Tyranny or Persecution. As a pact between the two she gifts him a second monster/guardian to be based on one of her moons.

For the Goddess of Healing heals the Goddess of the Moons from the unquenchable fire of her revenge after a tragedy leading to the second Interference.

For the Patron of Lost Causes, she helps the Goddess of the Moons again after the tragedy leading to a free gift which may or may not involve moons.

Again the Goddess of Death helps The Goddess of the Moons with the tragedy and thus is gifted with a geography (maybe on one of the moons ?)

The Sun God may be discussing Day/Night and the use of shadows in the day and moonlight in the dark. This leads to the second mythic monster guardian

I have yet to figure out how Cleanliness and Doors and Love and Work fit in but I am open to suggestions.

If you don't like the idea for your particular God please let me know.

Once I get individual approval I will post flavour text and then the participant can post their bonus selection..

I am experimenting with the extra choices and choosing them at random rather than give a completely free choice to the participants. Don't blame me, blame the dice.

Love isn't much for rules. Despite every Thou Shalt or Thou Shalt Not, at some point the heart whispers, I want.

Or shouts.

Or SCREAMS, to break the soul or shake the world.

Moonlight, however, is notoriously romantic. Neither the darkness of ignorance or concealment, nor the light of full disclosure. The Lovers offer this gift to the Goddess of Moons.

Though with a fixed sun placing half the world in constant daylight... Hm. Cadel and Olandris will have to work this out between them.

EDIT: Love and Revenge are not totally separate, either. Because no one can hurt you more than someone you love.

Dean Shomshak

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Oh, it started! Thrum must catch up.

I give you THRUM, GOD OF METAL!  :rockon:

Secondary Domain: Mercy, whether it comes at the edge of the executioner's blade or in the sweet chords of a power ballad...

Well we have not had Metal as a primary domain and so you get a bonus which comes in the form of a second mythic monster or guardian.

But it is the secondary domain which helps me so I am looking for L Marcus and Pattern Ghost to agree to heal the Goddess of the Moons and teach her the value of mercy because she did something terrible.

I have worked out how Old Man's god of doors can help the Goddess of the Moons but I need Assault's Goddess of Death's agreement.

The God of Doors takes the Goddess of Death to see the Dead which are in the Underworld but this needs the Goddess of Death's agreement. She gives both a gift as thanks.

Why she needs, or wants, to visit the dead will become apparent as I do more choices and flavour text. If you want to hold off until you find out why that will be fine.

Log and I need to come to an agreement regarding day and night and placement of moons. One will be in daylight always, another in darkness always with one that is supposed to be in twilight always but no-one is sure it exists. The Gods know but no-one else does. Other moons travel between day and night. And one in particular which the other gods keep an eye out for, More details on that will be forthcoming.

And thanks to DShomshak for the direct link to love and the moons.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

I have worked out how Old Man's god of doors can help the Goddess of the Moons but I need Assault's Goddess of Death's agreement.

The God of Doors takes the Goddess of Death to see the Dead which are in the Underworld but this needs the Goddess of Death's agreement. She gives both a gift as thanks.

Why she needs, or wants, to visit the dead will become apparent as I do more choices and flavour text. If you want to hold off until you find out why that will be fine.

I see the Goddess of Death as actually dwelling in Hekk (the Underworld). Otherwise, though, the Gates of Hekk are always open for those who seek to enter. Leaving is harder, but not impossible. (More on that later.)

The God of Doors clearly has a role to play in controlling such entrances and exits. A gift from Mania would be a reward for such duties. (A multiple-headed dog? A receptionist named Karen, Sharon or Charon?)

The biggest problem I can see Mania having is with Chroma. While there is a place for bright colours and sparkles in the Gardens of the Just, the rest of the Underworld is strictly monochrome.

If the god of labourers is to get an extra sentient race, I suspect it begins with humans. They either seek to do more on the nightside of the world, working by moonslight, or they were wronged by union suppression and seek Revenge. Either way they are changed ...

As the Sun God, I have no direct knowledge of the night side of the planet, and I am curious. First I note the use of the plural. How many moons are there? How large, how reflective, do they wax and wane? Are there visible stars? Does it ever get bright enough to read? There are a lot of conditions involved in the word night, I look forward to hearing them develop.

Why is the Moon Goddess also the Goddess of Revenge ? Listen and I will tell you. In times past she had worshippers who loved her and she in turn loved them. Now if you lose someone you will be upset especially if they are family. It is worse if it is preventable and worse still if it was completely unnecessary. How can a death be completely unnecessary ? When it is caused by a trick, or a joke, that not only goes wrong but goes horrifically and terribly wrong. For it led not only to one death but the loss of all of The Goddess's children, her worshippers. In a normal being the loss of a family member or love will cause sorrow or anger maybe even both. But to lose all your family, all that you love that will destroy most beings. It unhinged the Goddess of the Moons and as she found out what caused the demise of her created race she vowed revenge.

It is claimed that there was once a God of Trickery and that it was some offhand trick or joke of his that led to to the extinction of the Goddess's children. Assuming the mantle of Revenge she attacked the God and their battles were epic causing devastation and havoc throughout the cosmos. The God of Trickery tried to hide and used illusions to befuddle her but nothing worked. However their fellow Gods had become concerned and managed to stop the fighting forbidding either God from hurting the other directly. The Moon Goddess was not to be mollified and retreated to her Moons. The need for revenge consumed her and she realised she could get back at her opponent in another way. Her peers never said anything about her creating an engine of retribution to avenge her subjects and nothing and no-one would stop her.

She looked among her Moons for her weapon. it was not the largest of the moons nor was it the smallest but the one she selected would do nicely. She laboured long and hard pouring every ounce of her creativity and determination into the moon to give it life and purpose. If it had a name, it is long since forgotten like the name of the Trickster God. Finally she was done and set it forth. The moon studied its opponent and waited. There would be no second chance. It is claimed in some accounts that the Goddess of the Moons went to confront her enemy again and that the other gods went to stop her. This distraction allowed the Moon to fulfil its destiny. Careering out of the sky it struck the God from behind and then repeatedly smashed into them so that they died. Whatever the truth the other gods knew that they had to do something or else they might all turn to fighting each other.

Other gods had heralds or magnificent beasts or great guardians. Olandria has a sentient moon capable of destroying anyone and anything. It can travel between  the dark and light unlike at least two of its siblings if that is the right word for moons. It is known as the Killing Moon. At times it will be lent out to the other gods as a deterrent as not much can stop the power of a Moon. She will ride it into battle when required. When she is sad, she will be found there.

Mythic Monster/Guardian: The Killing Moon

And that is why you have bonuses. Olandria's first sentient race were killed (and that is my way of explaining my bonus and of losing it) and she caused the death of the God responsible, he who must be forgotten. So you could take it that the Trickster Gods choices were then shared out amongst the other Gods, if you are so minded. In curing the Goddess the interaction could also allow for the extra choices as the Goddess mourns her lost race and although she cannot return them to life she can ask to see them in the Underworld.

It also lets me get in a reference to an old favourite piece of music, The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen.

"Ware of what words come from thy mouth. Ware of what thy eyes gaze upon. Ware of what whispers thou heedest. Thou art as a child to the great God Xarn Tarsus. Would thee allow thy child to play with poisons? To accept such from the other? Of certes nay. In like mind, Xarn Tarsus and his chosen will guide thee and protect thee from words and sights that confuse or would undermine the greater good.  Here is the third truth- All truth of worth comes from Xarn Tarsus, all other truths are suspect and if against his will, are an attack upon thee and an insult to the Greatest of Gods  -Excerpt from The Sacred Truths of the Tyrant

day_5__covered_eyes___covered_mouth_by_l

Secondary Domain: Censorship & Obfuscation

The High Persecutrix entered the tyrants chamber with a wheeze. "Sire, our divination have yielded the nature of those beasts the workers have been caught using to augment their labours. They are 'mules', the sterile offspring of a male donkey and a female horse."

"Fine, but what are horses and donkeys?"

"We have no idea. Neither seems to appear on our world. Evidently tyrants on other worlds were fond of being carried on the backs of horses."

"Gross. On an animal? Couldn't even appreciate your glory, or why you were whipping it? I'll stick to my ten-man sedan chair, thank you. You said these things were sterile?"

"Yes. They can't be bred. Each comes into the world as a gift to the faithful of Egalitus."

The tyrants banged his head on the table. "Again with that guy. Marshall the misinformers. I want ugly stories about those things everywhere in the city."

Fauna: Mules

Screen+Shot+2017-12-27+at+8.43.04+AM.png

There is a race of people, not quite human, who live at the Terminator, the boundary between night and day. They have no particular name for themselves, but others call them Twilighters.

They are a diverse and complicated people. Male and female, light-skinned and dark, some strive to master the body, others the mind. Some are governed by fiery passion, others by cool and deliberate reason. Some can cripple you with a single strike, others can decimate your will with a simple phrase. All seem to have a compulsion to focus on who and what they wish to be and to follow that inner star with a dedication that borders on obsession or even mania. They allow no distraction to their lives, because that would upset the purity of being that they seek.

If a Twilighter chooses to befriend you, you are of all beings most fortunate and blessed, for you have a true friend until the end of your days.

Should you make an enemy of a Twilighter, you will have an enemy until the end of your days—which will be few.

Sentient Race: Twilighters

Spoiler

By the way, Twilighters look like this:

Vulcans-in-Star-Trek-Discovery.jpg?q=50&