World Creation Superdraft 6: May 2022

It's only the second week of the month and we are about half way through.

I'm more concerned with the format of the document listing all the choices for each individual god and whether i need to make alterations to make it clearer for everyone.

I am very happy that we have so many contributors.

My friends, I'm afraid I have to drop out of this one.

The end of my school year is just a couple of weeks away, and between that and the upcoming forced relocation at the end of June, I just don't have the mental capacity to make something this complex work right now. My apologies.

Death Tribble, will you kindly remove me from the roster and release my selections, in the (unlikely) event that someone else wishes to make use of them? I would appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing what this new world eventually becomes. But it may not be until July that I'm able to invest the attention necessary to do so.

Gift to Civilization: Flying ships. Smaller boats, like twenty-footers, aren't too uncommon, but actual ships are very rare and very expensive. The rich city of Anóriath can only afford to keep half a dozen sky-galleons, and a score of flying frigates. Only the richest merchant houses can have their own transports.

You can only go so long before it is not funny anymore. At first she was miffed, then she became irritated and finally she became annoyed. But what to do ?

Meeting with the other gods and debating with them she sought to clarify in her own mind whether it was a problem with her or a problem she could do something about. Xarn Tarsus made her aware that Envy might be her dilemma. However Astrasia and Amonia convinced her it would be practical. Egalitus and Thrum also enforced her belief that it was a necessity. Aporturn would be crucial to any success as his was the domains of Discovery and Progress and any answer would be linked to that. Although Mania, Chroma and the Lovers were of some help the others had more effect on her thought process.

But is was Cadel who gave her the answer to what she would do.

Olandria retreated to Cifra to decide on what she would do. Aporturn felt what she was doing and was curious to see what the Moon Goddess was planning. She descended from her home and roamed the dark.

And as she did so she sowed seeds. And under the light of the moons grew her creation Moon Wheat. It could be made into various foods which were far more edible than the usual fare.

She turned to the other gods and triumphantly said, 'No more mushroom jokes !'

Gift to Civilisation: Moon Wheat or other foods which can grow in the dark.

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

My friends, I'm afraid I have to drop out of this one.

The end of my school year is just a couple of weeks away, and between that and the upcoming forced relocation at the end of June, I just don't have the mental capacity to make something this complex work right now. My apologies.

Death Tribble, will you kindly remove me from the roster and release my selections, in the (unlikely) event that someone else wishes to make use of them? I would appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing what this new world eventually becomes. But it may not be until July that I'm able to invest the attention necessary to do so.

15 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

I'm sorry to hear this, but I totally understand. I suggest that the god remain as is; it is not uncommon for a god to turn absentee. Especially within such an appropriate domain. 

I am going with Log's suggestion and keeping it as is. Despite the fact that it won't be finished it might still get you votes or someone could come in and finish it for you. I recall this has happened previously.

On a more practical note would it help for the draft to take place in July or August next year for those with academic work ?

Thank you all for your show of support. I will make one final pick, then: 

My Mythic Guardians are the Qowat Milat, a group of Twilighter warrior nuns who attach themselves to lost causes and who follow a philosophy known as The Way of Absolute Candor. Sometimes the pure, unadulterated truth is a lost cause, too.

DISCO_403_MG_0160_VFX_RT.jpg

I'd like to keep the reference to G'Brill in my fiction bit above. I'm OK with G'Brill as an Enigmatic God who has apparently vanished, or is a rumor even to other gods.

If you want, Pariah, I'll even suggest that as a Secondary Domain: The Unknown. G'Brill is the god of things not known even to gods.

Dean Shomshak

1 minute ago, DShomshak said:

If you want, Pariah, I'll even suggest that as a Secondary Domain: The Unknown. G'Brill is the god of things not known even to gods.

Dean Shomshak

I like it. A lot.

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

I got enamored of the idea of a tidally locked world months ago and thought it would make a great playground for the annual superdraft. There are so many implications and issues that come from such a place. I knew I was going to be a light/sun god or a night/moon god as a participant, so it was nice that moon was taken early and helped me narrow down. I do want to say, though, that I do not envision the day side as a desert. I don't want it to be Tatooine or Arrakis. There is a lot to play with, still a whole hemisphere.  But not much has been defined as of yet. It is starting to take shape, though. L. Marcus has shaped much of the day with its vast (but not all-encompassing) desert and Green Coast. When I picture the desert reaches, though, I am now grateful for Chroma, and think there could be so much vibrancy in the sands. Not just yellow or white, but brilliant red or blue dunes. Will the twilight lands be mostly grey, or perhaps illuminated by a borealis? The night is starting to take shape with the frozen fungal forest and fields of moon wheat. I would like to see more of the water revealed.

Player reaction to draft so far: wow, what a dark world. Tyranny, revenge, envy, persecution, a literal dark side. It gives one pause. But then, we also have gods of cleanliness, opportunity, love, mercy, and holidays. You know what's missing? A god/dess of balance. There sure would be a lot of work for such a deity.  

Cadel's thoughts on his fellow deities (in roster order).  

Mania: a necessary evil, a thankless task, they handle it well. The domain of Judgment is closest thing we have to balance in this world of extremes.

Amonia: Very pleasant, they clearly care for those under our protection.

Olandria: The crazy ex. Clearly chaotic. Her occasional eclipses are very petty.

The Lovers: A beautiful embodiment of what this bipolar world could be.

Xarn Tarsus: The dread lord is… something. While I cannot sympathize with his philosophy, he is not entirely irrational. There is method to his madness.

Astrasia: The healing mother of the land. She embraces the desert even more than I, and a stretch under the night is her domain as well, if I understand correctly. I have never seen it, of course.  

Aporturn: He has my respect. (See my latest selection has a certain synchronicity.)

G'Brill: The absent one, oversees the world's frustrations. That would drive me into hiding as well.

Thrum: God of war and of freedom, his mercy may be the only thing keeping Xarn Tarsus in check.

Chroma: Another I have much in common with, his light shines second only to my own.

Egalitus: Like the healing gods, he clearly respects those that live below and helps to make their lives worth living.

Selection to come.

Gift to Civilization: Fire.

O mortals, let your love be as fire, consuming you until the self vanishes in ardor for the one beloved; or let it smelt you as ore in the crucible and smithy of Thrum until you emerge as tempered steel or shining gold. For Love, you will forget yourself; for Love, you will become greater than you imagined possible.

Fire is the emblem of passion, and the principle means of making fire represent this. Flint and steel strike sparks from their union. The bow drill generates fire as a rod moves in a hole. (Real bit of anthropology, there: Encyclopedia Britannica tells me that many cltures see the bow drill in sexual terms. The fire plow, in which a stick moves back and forth in a groove, is perhaps even more explicit.) Lenses and mirrors don't work to make fire, though, unless another god says they do.

As a token of this connection, mortals having sex are for that time fireproof. The flames without defer to the fire of passion within. In fact, the first time anyone has sex, they and their partner catch fire and may set other things ablaze. Couples of great mutual passion can do this at will.

If Permitted, Second Gift to Civilization: Dance.

Guided by music or the joy of togetherness, mortals move in unison without being compelled. Dance is sacred to the Lovers, and a vital part of Their rites. Whether dirty dancing, formal ballroom, or communal dances, mortals forget themselves in the joy of moving together.

ddhgzw-cedfa9b6-843a-4d10-823c-170a8759c6fb.jpg

Dean Shomshak

Cadel cannot abide liars or thieves. He believes it is his duty to shine light upon the dishonest and reveal them for all to behold. This can bring him into conflict with Xarn's agents of obfuscation as much as it does with Olandris's lovers of shadow. It is not a battle of good vs evil, it is more a battle between the seen and unseen but let the humans and elves and all who dwell upon the land know and understand.

Secondary domain: Revelation.

Synchronizes nicely with Aporturn's domain of Discovery, I think. Often invoked by explorers and by peacekeepers seeking justice, the light of Cadel is a power that can be summoned by his priests to force the truth to be extracted.

Pariah posted his retirement as I was typing up the Moon Wheat but the original intention was that Olandria would tell G'Brill that Moon Wheat would only grow on the twilight strip of the dark side and not throughout it and would not be as nice to eat as what was on the dark side. She would allow the Twilighters to harvest Moon Wheat in the dark side in the bits closest to their realm.

In order to ensure that we were all happy I left certain things open ended such as whether the Sun and The Moon were together, had been together or would be  together. That left leg room for everyone.

I'll post the next update on Wednesday. 

O mortals, the connection between you and the gods is deep and strong. We love you; and when you love us, that connection can be strong enough that we become one. When you forget yourself in ecstasy, your love for gods can draw gods into the world. Mortal and god become one: We know what it is to be mortal, and mortals know what it is to be divine. For a time, our power joins to your will, for what will one not do for one you love?

No god may refuse this union.

Interference: Trance Possession.

At the height of ecstatic revelry, mortals who love a god with all their heart can draw the god into their body. For a few minutes, the god becomes incarnate in the mortal's body. While the full power of the god is not at the mortal's command, some of it is. It helps, though, to have a priest or friend on hand to remind the possessed mortal of what he, she or it wanted from the god. (Though fauns invite the gods to their revels just for enjoy their company, and vice-versa.)

Possession can also happen by identifying a lover as the avatar of a god. Okay, so perhaps not many people would choose Xarn Tarsus as a lover, but the Holy Tyrant can be drawn into mortality, and find himself serving mortal will, as much as any other god. (Granted, a person who loves Xarn Tarsus probably intends to use the god's power for some purpose the god would not find displeasing.)

D8C9VC~1.JPG

(At a guess, this man has called Olandris into himself, or his lover has done so. The goddess reaches down to claim him, while the faces of the Lovers are visible to either side.)

Dean Shomshak

Death can be messy. Even when a spirit passes to Hekk, they usually leave their mortal remains behind.

Who is going to clean it up?

Mania understands the problem, and thus, as a gift to Amonia, she created the Carrion-Eaters.

Sentient Life pick: Ghouls.

These often rather friendly, if sometimes malodorous, beings can be found all over the world.

In the wilderness, they scavenge the corpses of all manner of creatures.

In the cities, they perform all kinds of cleaning tasks. While this often leads to them being relegated to the lowest social status, some Ghouls have become remarkably wealthy, finding value and profit in items others discard.

When they form their own communities, they are often feared, not so much as warriors, but as cannibals.

Naturally, as mortals, they ultimately return to Hekk. On those rare occasions when the living venture into Death's realm, they often encounter Ghoulish spirits, who generously offer to remove their mortal flesh and free their spirits.

Living Ghouls are immune to most diseases and poisons, making them capable of eating things that most other beings would regard as unpleasant or deadly.

Most respect their origins, worshipping Amonia, while acknowledging their creator.

I think I need two to catch up, one for Friday and one for today:

Sentient Race: Giant Dwarfs! Made of metal, masters of metal, they simply rock you with their axes!

51Kfy9logpL._AC_SX425_.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiWHrodZ-WoMhDSvBQ-_l (imagine I Photoshopped these two together)

For Mythic Monster: The Ferrous Colossus! Legend has it, when the Ferrous Colossus finds its guitar pick, it will strum the Chord of Doom!

3921594.jpg

13 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

SNIP

Cadel's thoughts on his fellow deities (in roster order).  

Olandria: The crazy ex. Clearly chaotic. Her occasional eclipses are very petty.

Now wait a moment.....

Oh

You saw that Olandria is modelled on Sarah Douglas as Ursa

Right then, carry on.