Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Way way back -- about 1975, IIRC -- there was a similar story (but with human casualties) with a headline of "Five killed by drunken elephants", where in India a herd of elephants broke into a moonshiners' compound, sucked down a vat of fermenting hooch, and it turned out they were angry drunks, destroying a couple of concrete buildings and killing five moonshiners who tried to chase them away.  I might even have the newspaper clipping still, but finding it is another problem.

12 hours ago, csyphrett said:

in 2011, a man was arrested for three counts of animal cruelty and thirty three counts of negligence. The county took these ponies from him. The property was sold. The reason this is relevant is in the last few days, the city/county is digging up this property with permission from the current owners. The word is they are looking for human remains.

CES    

Ohh dear....the fact that they're going to this much effort implies they have good reason to go to that effort.  Makes me undecided about whether I hope they find something...or nothing.....

Elsewhere...the world of watch collecting is in a bit of a tizzy.

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/omega-auction-fake-speedmaster-1234852416/

I was watching this auction...not *bidding*, mind, I don't play in this league.  There were several, tho, where I was interested to see what they'd go for.  This one...the bidding just went bugnuts crazy.  SERIOUSLY crazy.  Not only did it set the record price...it was, IIRC 6x the previous record.  

And now we find...it's a fake.  Not only that, but the fake was perpetrated by, or at least abetted by, Omega employees.  This is going to have an impact...

On 6/3/2023 at 7:54 AM, Cygnia said:

"Until he was fired out of the blue . . ."

Yeah, no. I'm 99% sure that Blizzard is in such a risk-adverse posture right now that there is no way their HR and Risk departments are going to let them fire someone without cause. Would love to see if this goes to court and if there's any evidence supporting this guy's claim.

=====/ LINE TO SEPARATE TWO UNRELATED RESPONSES /================================

On 6/3/2023 at 4:15 PM, tkdguy said:

You know how they say that if you help a baby bird back into its nest, the parent will reject it?

Turns out that's nonsense.

I wonder how true it is in this case? Maybe the calf was stuck in the river because it had already been rejected?

I'd love to see a bovine behaviorist analysis of this.

Are those a thing?

Edited by Pattern Ghost

4 Children found alive after 40 days in the Amazon rain forest following plane crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-65864158

Backpack hero praised for facing attacker in France knife attacker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65860077

Concern over falling water levels in Loch Ness

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-65855228

On 6/11/2023 at 7:33 AM, Cygnia said:

Platinum recently has sold for about $1,037 an ounce; palladium $1,429 an ounce; and rhodium $6,300 an ounce.

There's your incentive right there.

More generally,

https://www.nada.org/legislative/fight-rising-catalytic-converter-theft

and the National Insurance Crime Bureau estimates that these thefts increased by 1,215% between 2019 and 2022. 

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Have to say this doesn't surprise me.  Depresses, yeah, but not surprises.  I think the days of anonymous, easy logins to services everywhere, might be numbered, on sites with larger reach.  The trivial, anonymous login makes policing this harder.  It's not enough to boot the violators, if they can't be kept off, or at least slowed down.

Extortion by social media bombing isn't new.  It's been an issue for many years.  I don't recall offhand that they were used for extortion, but they were deliberate attempts to damage reputations...and did do *serious* damage to some companies.