Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

The estate of Marvin Gaye sued Ed Sheeran for plaigirism, because the chords in a Sheeran song are similar to one of Gaye's hits.

Sheeran argued the chords were common musical building blocks.

Sheeran won, which is good news.  My take on most of these cases has been that they've had no merit.  They've been successful enough times, tho, to have notable impacts on songwriters...they have to look over their shoulders, or at least the popular ones do.  So I'm glad this one failed.

The latest conspiracy theory. Does the sun look different than it did just a few decades ago? Sun Truthers think so!

'The Sun Used to be Yellow': Sun Truthers are Giving Flat Earthers a Run For Their Money (msn.com)

Repeating the admonition from the article, as a basic point of being a responsible human being: Do not look directly at the sun.

Dean Shomshak

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The estate of Marvin Gaye sued Ed Sheeran for plaigirism, because the chords in a Sheeran song are similar to one of Gaye's hits.

Sheeran argued the chords were common musical building blocks.

Sheeran won, which is good news.  My take on most of these cases has been that they've had no merit.  They've been successful enough times, tho, to have notable impacts on songwriters...they have to look over their shoulders, or at least the popular ones do.  So I'm glad this one failed.

I heard this on the radio. These two songs don't sound anything alike. Ed Townsend's estate is involved since he was the writer on this. They sued because the songs felt alike.

CES 

13 hours ago, DShomshak said:

The latest conspiracy theory. Does the sun look different than it did just a few decades ago? Sun Truthers think so!

'The Sun Used to be Yellow': Sun Truthers are Giving Flat Earthers a Run For Their Money (msn.com)

Repeating the admonition from the article, as a basic point of being a responsible human being: Do not look directly at the sun.

Dean Shomshak

I had never heard of anything like this utter idiocy before.  Talk about flipping the bozo bit on yourself.  Not even a vegetable would make such a stupid assertion, because the content of sunlight is, if anything, more important to plants than animals.  This is not even "not even wrong".

If you've been around as long as Old Man, then yeah, the Sun definitely looks different now than it did 2 billion years ago. And it'll look quite a bit different 3-4 billion years from now. But in the span of the human lifetime? Preposterous.

Now, let's not be too hasty here. Looking directly at the Sun could be considered a reasonable act in the service of Dr. Darwin.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, Pariah said:

Now, let's not be too hasty here. Looking directly at the Sun could be considered a reasonable act in the service of Dr. Darwin.

1.  The gentleman in question never earned the right to that honorific.  He did get an LL.D late in his life, but that's styled differently. 

2.  Unfortunately, the act of looking directly at the sun does not preclude the act of...contributing...to the gene pool.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Yangtze Giant Softshell Turtle Is Now Functionally Extinct

Only two specimens are known to exist and both are male.

Unfortunate, but not that surprising.  Fish farmed from rivers in Vietnam have frequently received red ratings from Seafood Watch, due to high levels of pollutants in the waters in which they're raised.  That doesn't bode well for any wild species that share the habitat.

Wellllll, drat.  I forgot all about it again.

Westminster Dog Show concluded tonight.  I like to watch 3 primary groups, when I remember...the hounds Monday, and the Sporting and Working groups tonight.  Oops.

The dog that won best in show was a whiskered petit basset griffon Vendéen but the use name made up for that mouthful....Buddy Holly.