Wizards of the Coast Announces One D&D

Scott Ruggels

@Scott Ruggels, as someone who does business in the RPG community, what would the OGL changes WOTC proposed have meant to your own business activities? As an illustrator, I don't think you are a third party content creator who would have been directly impacted (maybe indirectly if some 3pp went under, so less demand for artwork overall), so I think you may have a more objective perspective.  The big speakers are WOTC on one side and producers of content whose own profitability could have been impacted, not objective third parties with no personal economic interests at stake.

53 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

@Scott Ruggels, as someone who does business in the RPG community, what would the OGL changes WOTC proposed have meant to your own business activities? As an illustrator, I don't think you are a third party content creator who would have been directly impacted (maybe indirectly if some 3pp went under, so less demand for artwork overall), so I think you may have a more objective perspective.  The big speakers are WOTC on one side and producers of content whose own profitability could have been impacted, not objective third parties with no personal economic interests at stake.

For me, I would be less effected than others. I have been working on my skills to get up to that painterly Paizo/ WoTC level of rendering, but even with the prohibition on A.I. art in most publisher's product, it has frozen the rates for artists. The A.I. has moved me more towards going back to 3D for commissioned works. But it has paused the number of products coming out.

Where this would  effect me, is that I did have an idea for a 5e campaign book with a couple of friends, and that would necessitate moving it from D&D 5e to Pathfinder, or some other OSR style rules. Unfortunately I am playing more 5e than Hero these days, though that is now changing. The TTRPG Discords are ditching 5e for other rules (Cyberpunk Red, Dungeon Slayers, among others).

I do have an idea for a Hero book, though of how useful it may be is debatable as it's a type that isn't common for Hero *but used to be useful for Traveller).

With the closure of Toys -R-Us, and children these days preferring screens to toys, toy sales have dropped precipitously.  The money making division seems to be WOTC for them. 

A morality clause (6f) was seen as the biggest problem. It gave Wizards the right to immediately terminate the OGL for any "harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing" publication or conduct, with Wizards being the ultimate arbiter of what that meant and the licensee agreeing that they could not file any legal objection

I understand a company wanting to have this, to stop someone from making, I dunno, Pol Pot the RPG where you slaughter as many helpless starving people as possible or something.  The problem is in today's culture the religious zealots that inhabit corporations will call anything they dislike "harmful" and ban it based on their extremist viewpoint, and that means basically only their viewpoint gets permitted.

7 hours ago, Cygnia said:

At 48:25 comes the heavy Virtue signaling. It seems also he avoided  the whole Chris Kayo (sic) issue. I neglected to post D&D Short's  discussion of his communication with WoTC Employees. He's correct that the D&D community will have to watch WoTC's actions, rather than their words moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

"Sooner or later, everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences"-Robert Louis Stevenson

15 hours ago, C.R.Ryan said:

D&D hasn't been the best RPG since it was the only RPG.

"D&D The First and still the Worst!"

Though, really neither of those is fair... D&D didn't claim to be an RPG, initially, but "Rules  for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures" ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(1974)#/media/File%3AD%26d_Box1st.jpg