The cranky thread

Hermit

What a crappy week. Obnoxious jerks on the road and on the train station, chaos at work, family members really sick. Also worried about my cat; she's been grooming herself excessively, which doesn't seem normal. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. She needs her shots anyway.

DC is one of those places where I openly wonder why people live there. However, I find it appropriate to confine our government to a bog.

Hate the humidity, terrified of the traffic...

but you know, four out of 10 people i met were darn nice. Five were minding their own and let me be. And one was a jerk.

So... I'm actually impressed with the people. 

But yeah, you would have to pay me a LOT to live there.

I finally found a new job.....only to find out the client I am working for is a completely neurotic nutjob that makes the phrase "hostile work environment" like comparing a candle to all the suns in the universe. I had to give my two weeks notice before I even finished training. There may be some slight amount of hyperbole in that previous statement. I actually hope that she goes bat#!&% crazy and demands my immediate removal. Not a feeling I am used to having and one I don't like at all.

The position paid well too. :(

I just chipped another tooth.

Ouch! I know the feeling.

My cat just got her booster shot yesterday and isn't feeling well today. I'm observing her to see if I need to take her to the vet again. And her flea medication doesn't seem to be working.

I finally found a new job.....only to find out the client I am working for is a completely neurotic nutjob that makes the phrase "hostile work environment" like comparing a candle to all the suns in the universe. I had to give my two weeks notice before I even finished training. There may be some slight amount of hyperbole in that previous statement. I actually hope that she goes bat#!&% crazy and demands my immediate removal. Not a feeling I am used to having and one I don't like at all.

The position paid well too. :(

And now you know why.

I hope you're able to find a satisfying job soon.

Last day on the job and a Brinks officer gets shot during an attempted robbery. Not counting the human element, mass confusion and chaos ensued. Counting the human element, a poor guy just doing his job is currently in critical condition. Sometimes this world really pisses me off. I hope the officer has a full recovery. I would probably be violating board policy if I offered my wishes for the perp. Scumbag. I guess there's nothing more to say.

No matter how many ads they play before the movie telling you to silence your phone, there's always someone who doesn't listen. I went to see The Nice Guys yesterday and someone's phone rang twice. I'm not sure if it was one phone ringing twice or two phones ringing once--I was playing "Watch The Movie", not "Name That Ringtone"--but it was annoying either way.

No matter how many ads they play before the movie telling you to silence your phone, there's always someone who doesn't listen. I went to see The Nice Guys yesterday and someone's phone rang twice. I'm not sure if it was one phone ringing twice or two phones ringing once--I was playing "Watch The Movie", not "Name That Ringtone"--but it was annoying either way.

One explanation is that some folks think the rules don't apply to them, be it on the road or the cinema. There will always be jerks.

Another explanation is that they just tune everything out. I see it all the time in the train station. The loudspeaker tells people to board at Platform X; Platform Y is closed. There are also signs when that's the case. Yet there's always someone in the wrong platform and is surprised when he/she misses the train.

Look, I get that you don't like the new group policy that locks your workstation after 15 minutes. I even understand your confusion about hitting a key or wiggling a mouse to unblank the computer screen. But do you really need to put in a ticket saying that your computer won't wake up after you shut it down instead of logging out the other day? Or the tickets last week where we remoted in and found nothing wrong?

So, your ticket today was demanding a full investigation. That's why you returned to your desk (where you left your computer unlocked again, by the way), and found the workstation removed. I'm running full tests of everything, so that I can "fully investigate" your issue. No, I don't have a "loaner" computer, feel free to use one of the available workstations in your office area. No, I can't really give you an estimate of the time it will take, as we need to do a full hardware scan, and then I'll need to run a full diagnostic on all of the software settings. Oh, I'll also need to go through the various log files, and make sure that there isn't any errors. Heck, if it's really bad, I might just need to fully reimage it, and install all of your programs from scratch. Gosh, with all of the other work on my plate, it could take days to get that workstation back to you.