The cranky thread

Hermit

Your message radiates the same vibe I felt after dealing with California's EDD (unemployment department) and the stupid Cal Jobs website.

I need to find a new job asap. Dealing with the inane state bureaucracy is going to drive me further into the "it is not I who am crazy, it is I who AM MAD" territory. Besides, not having a job to wake up to is really sucking the wind out of my motivation.

Sadly I have had a lot of experience with unemployment. Get into a routine that forces you to get up every morning. If you need to make phone calls you want to catch people before their day gets out of hand. Work your (human) network--of the seven jobs I've had since the eighties, six of them I got through referrals. (The seventh was because I'd put my resume out on all the job sites and a headhunter found me.)

And take advantage of your "vacation", but productively. Work out, fix up the house, take a class. You won't have time for any of that once you're starting a new job.

And good luck. Remember: you are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank, you're not the car you drive, you're not the contents of your wallet, you are not your khakis.

Great, so now I get to go a month without insurance.   Assuming I don't get hacked again, I should be able to afford paying out of pocket for the absolutely necessary medications I am on...

I missed this yesterday somehow. I'm not understanding how your insurance got cancelled in the first place, especially mid-month.

It took me many, many, many phone calls to those idiots just to buy a basic health plan after my wife got laid off. We didn't have coverage for the first month, due to delays and f-ups on their part, but had to pay for it anyway to get backdated coverage just to avoid the tax penalty for having over a two month gap in coverage. I had to make a couple of calls to the Governer's office to get them to kick the idiots in the rear to even get anything moving. There seems to be absolutely no oversight for the idiots, and nobody seems to be accountable or responsible for them.

THere is a reason there is dislike for "Bureaucrats" . 

I think I got it straightened out, have to select a plan tonight or tomorrow to get a 5/1 eff. date. 

Dear QA Tester,

When you're testing the resolution of a Trouble Ticket and come across an unrelated issue involving a different application, create a new Trouble Ticket and assign it to the appropriate team.  Do not fail my fix and send it back to me.  Do not take the TT I fixed, add the info from the unrelated failure and send it to the other team.  Especially do not do either of these things after I have already told you three times to create a new ticket and send it to the other team.

I am frequently amazed at who gets hired at this company.  Almost as frequently, I'm amazed at how they're not encouraged to learn their jobs.

I have a reputation for being mean and surly with my co-workers.  The thing is, I've tried being nice.  I always try being nice when someone new comes along.  But when you've been here nearly a year (and in far too many cases half-a-decade or more) and you still can't do your job right, I get tired of being nice.

Any news?

My own cranky for the day:

•  Phone ringing off the hook all day long.
  •  The Xerox rep who refused to fix our crashy MFD until we installed a power conditioner, now that the power conditioner is installed, insists that the reason the MFD is still crashy is because we didn't tell him to come fix it.
  •  Morning con call to answer questions about the new software turned into a troubleshooting session because the consultant failed to tell us what needed to be configured prior to the call.
  •  Now I have to sit through the call again tomorrow.
  •  Taco Bell lady got my order wrong.
  •  Stacie is still leaking oil and may have a failing CV joint, but the soonest I can get it looked at is Tuesday or Wednesday.
  •  Accounting demanding that I explain the messed up numbers that they messed up.
  •  Weeks-long drama around shipping gear to a store ahead of a tight deadline magically disappears when the original shipping address that we were told we couldn't ship to, can be shipped to.  Tomorrow, they'll remember that we can't ship there, and we'll go around again.
  •  Boss nodding off in our one-on-one meeting.  Really?
  •  Contractors for the house modifications are all of highly dubious competence.  And are all really expensive.
  •  Number in my checking account is still really small.  You'd think I'd be used to it after so many years, but no.
  •  Lack of money kept us from signing the kid up for the summer class he wanted, now it is full.
  •  Scouts mangled my kid's name in the online registration, no telling how hard that will be to unscrew.
  •  Haven't been able to plan anything for Mother's Day or the other kid's birthday with all the craziness.

But!  No surgery or cancer or deaths in the family so far, so I shouldn't complain... right?

Well, my uncle made it okay. Hopefully, he recovers quickly. My cousin's surgery, a leg amputation due to diabetes, was successful, but he had a heart attack afterwards. My uncle had a toe amputated. A lot less than a leg, but he's also a lot older. So far, he's doing okay. Staying cautiously optimistic.

I was making plans to take a day off in case the worst happened. Two family deaths in as many days would have been too much for me to handle. I had already lost three other relatives since October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bad day today, dealing with obnoxious jerks all day. To top it off, I lost my keys, along with the keychain given to me by my Taekwondo instructor. That's what gets me so upset. Good thing I had a spare key to let me in.

Reallyangry about the keychain. Gonna be too mad to sleep tonight.

I'm still unemployed. The one solid lead I thought I had come across has become a dead end. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and reenter the job force at a lower paying position.

If you have to start over anyway, you might consider that mid-career change you've always dreamed of.  If you've been dreaming of one.  Easier said than done, I know, but maybe you don't have quite as much to lose now.