The cranky thread

Hermit

Pardon me for a moment of self-pitty.  Stupic colitis is acting up so I've got an upset stomach, aching joints and generally feel like crap all around.  Just in time for the weekend.  Yay. 

Ah well, only 30 more minutes before I'm off work.  Then I can go home, eat something bland and then maybe lay down for a while.

I was double charged for my eye exam on Tuesday. I called to complain, and the assistant said I'd get a refund. I finally got a receipt of the refund, but the money hasn't been posted in my bank statement. I called again and was told that the money should be back by Monday. The problem is, I'm supposed to go out with my friends tonight to celebrate a birthday, and I need the money NOW.

Our dryer died a few months back--the main belt shredded, and the resulting lack of movement in the clothes caused the thermal fuse to quit.  I serviced it myself, but man, modern dryers are not only not user serviceable, they're not serviceable, period.  It took an hour for me to get the thing apart far enough to figure out what the problem was, and a three hour total teardown to change that damn belt.  And parts of the valance are held on by one-time-use clips that I basically had to just snap off to get the thing apart.  I wouldn't dream of trying to fix a washing machine, which is like a dryer but with plumbing.  YMMV.

Last week it was the fridge, which developed a mysterious leak that began to ooze a puddle out from underneath it.  It turned out to be just a leak in the $20 water line going from the wall to the icemaker, but the puddle did some collateral damage before I figured that out.

Oftentimes I feel like I'm living in a sea of constantly breaking crap that I am constantly battling to fix.  And I am losing that battle.

Thermodynamics is not on my side.

The washer was 14 or 15 years old, well past its nominal lifetime. The dryer is a year or two older, and it doesn't work properly either (the high temperature setting hasn't worked in quite some time). Probably gonna suck it it up and spring for a new set.

I really don't like late night radio call-in. It's almost as if the radio show pulls out the deepest, darkest stupid from the listening audience. I really am only interested in the host and guest. I am not interested in the mouth breather from La Jolla awkwardly trying to stutter out his story.

Phone rang just as my alarm went off, was my Mom's number. Her med-tech found her dead this morning.

That part I can deal with.

It's the damn family who live near her who all swooped in and have to put their egos into things.

They've already decided to have animal control come in and euthanize her cat. They're pissed off that I asked to make sure that the apartment was locked up by the med-tech (who has the key) because she isn't "family". And another one is confused as to why they have a safety deposit box key left with them for me if they aren't allowed to open it by the bank.

A little over an hour ago, I received a call from the humane society in Mom's town--it seems that Mom's med-tech managed to sneak them in to rescue the cat. They've promised to try to find him a good, quiet home, and will have him up on their adoption page soon. It's probably some of the best news that I've heard all day.

Work normally gives 3 days for bereavement, but it takes me pretty much a whole day to fly up and a whole day to fly back. They're going to let me burn a few vacation days on short notice to pad out the trip.

Thank you all for your condolences and prayers, it is deeply appreciated.

I'm feeling a bit bummed. Not for the usual fifty reasons, though.

Last night, or super early in the morning, I went out to get some groceries. On the way back, an entire family of raccoons darted in front of my car. I braked hard, but still completely ran one over. There were at least four or five crossing the road, so swerving wasn't an option, I was likely to hit one, even if I crossed lanes, which would have been unsafe. All I could do was decelerate as fast as I could, but they were just too close. So, minus one raccoon. And a bit of my bumper.

I couldn't sleep last night. I still see the raccoons in my headlights.

On an intellectual level, I'm able to deal with it. Nobody at fault here, just raccoons in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But it really depresses me if I kill something. This is only the third road kill I've had in 31 years of driving. The others were a cat and a rabbit. Same thing in all cases, absolutely no reaction time available. Still bums me the hell out.