Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

I still have all my Car Wars stuff. A few years back I was in some online games using Vassal. It's hard to coordinate players schedules when you have people in Australia, on an oil rig somewhere east of Canada, among other places.

And I think of the game every day, when I want to use my twin, linked Vulcans on the idiots that pass for drivers here in Idaho.  :bmk:

Car Wars was a better example of what happens when you pile additional rules onto a poorly designed rules base. CW was legendary for the weird things that would happen in edge cases. It's really amazing that SJG was able to keep the game functional as long as they did.

@aylwin13: I might have played against you on Vassal at some point. ;)

Losing control at 140mph in two different Dueltrack games (armed racecars) was almost more fun than winning. Went into an end-over-end roll and landed on another car in one game. Went into a barrel roll down a straightaway right into a 20' wall where the track turned.

Good times.

That's what I said when my van full of heavy rockets took a fully penetrating hit from a heavy laser, and the GM ruled they all exploded onboard.

He did have the decency to keep the hole excavated by the blast in the arena.

I'm in Washington Dc for a friend's graduation. The graduation is for a day, but at my friend's insistence, I'm here for a week. I am worried about my home in TN getting robbed, but folks will drive by now and then. Staying at a nice townhouse with several rooms... but driving around here is insane (I knew this, I've visited DC before). Internet appears to be working but I will be dragged along by friends to see our monuments etc so eh. I know I should be positive, I should see this as a wonderful adventure, but with my hangups about crowds, strangers, and change I'm having a hard time shaking numerous worries.

Hey, if you want to be really freaked out, go to the Lincoln Memorial and stand just above the top of the steps, turn around and look outward across the Mall with Father Abraham sitting behind you, and think of being MLK in that spot, beginning, "I have a dream...."

Well, I've been in DC before with my dad, but then half the town seemed to be in a blackout. Crowds at the areas you could visit were nightmarish, the Washington Monument was closed, etc... though the WW2 Memorial was a surprise to me and I liked it. 

Maybe more will be accessible this time. I have doubts.

No surprises that France, Germany and Belgium are through. The real game of this round Italy vs Spain is next followed by England vs Iceland. It will be hilarious if Iceland win.

What will this guy do if Iceland wins that one?

He won't even have the US to thank!

Well, maybe it'll make his career the way it did for Al Michaels.

Or this one from 1951.

Sadly, I can't find anything briefer than this for my personal favorite, though it's only about 40 seconds starting at about 3:45 that it gets interesting.

Pity.

What's scary is that a senior colleague literally just walked out on her way to Paris (en route to a scientific meeting elsewhere in France), but I think she'll be in Paris for Iceland-France (though she has no interest in football at all)....

Up to the first 3 hours in the zoo, I was loving it. Up to 4, I liked it. After 4 and a half, I was done. After Five, homicidal thoughts about killing my friends were arising.

Naturally, they want to stay out LONGER today...urge to kill rising already.

Oh, the bus system seems to work well, except for the last one back to the rental property at 430 or so. So many people ... I'm not sure it was because it was close to 'first shift goes home' traffic, or the fact at least one bus never showed so we may have gained a few more. Last three stops, NO One was getting up. I helped my friends wheelchair bound mother out and I hope I wasn't rude to either her or folks when  I had to have a hole made.

That said, the people of DC that I have interacted with (Reluctantly, I'm not an extrovert) seemed nice and some quite helpful without being asked.

So... insane hell traffic, good Bus system if you're not on at the wrong time, and so far very good people.

I may have to fire my friends though. I advised our trip today end an hour earlier to avoid the rush on the bus. They said "Or we come back later!"

Mother #$#$ing son of a biscuit!

France are through. Beating Iceland 5 - 1 at the moment. So France play Germany and Wales play Portugal. Wales could still get into the final the way Portugal have been playing.

Portugal seems to collapse regularly against the US, so it's quite plausible.