Tentative 2006 Schedule

archermoo

Re: Tentative 2006 Schedule

Put me down for one of each. I especially would like Stronghold. I've been thinking I'd like to eliminate my game's prison and bring in a new one.

I *am* suprised to see the Possible Leatherbound edition. Not that I'm against it. I actually think my D&D 3.5 leatherbound I got off e-bay was worth the effort (No *real* extras, just a well made book).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *am* suprised to see the Possible Leatherbound edition. Not that I'm against it. I actually think my D&D 3.5 leatherbound I got off e-bay was worth the effort (No *real* extras, just a well made book).

I know I'm in a minority, but personally, I hope they go with imitation leather. I would have happily shelled out the cash for the D&D 3.5 special and the Call of Cthulu limited had they not used the real thing.

I've seen complaints about the quality of Champs products listed' date=' but realize than in 2006, StarHERO has a representation of [i']0[/i]. Just keep that in mind whilst you complain.

yes, I did notice that. I do wonder what "Psychic Wars" is, but otherwise it seems like it's all been seriously back-burnered.

It seems to me like it'd be impossible to not cover everything in 100-200 books, so there must be an upper limit to how much different product you can move even in the most popular line.

I, for one, am bummed that Star Hero was completely shut out (unless I am misunderstanding one or more of the titles). I do respect that DOJ has to make decisions based upon sales, but my understanding was that SH was going to get one supplement per year and then more if sales picked up to justify it. Hopefully there will be some shorter pdf stuff on Star Hero at least....

Polaris

You know that just means your car is going to break down now. :)

Nope. Paying off a car does not mean it will break down. Two days after my check cleared paying the last $4000 on my car, I blew a tire on the interstate while traveling through OK on the way back to Washington State. Rolled four times and totaled the car.

Walked away from it though..... :hail: airbags :hail:

The moral of the story.

Never pay it off. If you do, you just get some really nasty bruising and a new (higher) car payment.

or Avoid interstates at all costs for the first complete month after the check clears....

I'd guess that Psychic Wars might be a campaign setting for Star Hero. Remember those Psy-warriors from the old Ultimate Mentalist? Those guys were fighting in a psychic war of sorts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that is what Psychic Wars is about...especially given that was a Steve Long production.

I, for one, am bummed that Star Hero was completely shut out (unless I am misunderstanding one or more of the titles). I do respect that DOJ has to make decisions based upon sales, but my understanding was that SH was going to get one supplement per year and then more if sales picked up to justify it. Hopefully there will be some shorter pdf stuff on Star Hero at least....

Polaris

Well the line up will change between now and then. If 2005 has a good upswing in the RPG market, there might be enough of a profit margin to allow some of the less lucrative lines to get some more support. At least I hope so.

But I still remember the great darkness, grasshopper :rolleyes: , when Hero nearly passed from the universe. And so I give thanks. :D

Well the line up will change between now and then. If 2005 has a good upswing in the RPG market, there might be enough of a profit margin to allow some of the less lucrative lines to get some more support. At least I hope so.

But I still remember the great darkness, grasshopper :rolleyes: , when Hero nearly passed from the universe. And so I give thanks. :D

Let us hope for such an upswing...:)

I agree with giving thanks that Hero survived and was turned around by DOJ... my post was an expression of regret that SH seems missing (except, as mentioned above, the possibility of Psychic Wars), not of complaint with the decision-making of DOJ that, thus far at least, has done very well.

Polaris

If Psychic Wars was a Star HERO product, I'd go so far as to pre-order it, if that's possible somewhere. I'm going to buy Galactic Champions even though I'm not a huge Champs fan, because it takes place in space. God, I hope Psychic Wars is a Star HERO product. Now I have something new to pray for, in addition to world peace and an endless supply of chocolate.

Let us hope for such an upswing...:)

I agree with giving thanks that Hero survived and was turned around by DOJ... my post was an expression of regret that SH seems missing (except, as mentioned above, the possibility of Psychic Wars), not of complaint with the decision-making of DOJ that, thus far at least, has done very well.

Polaris

I agree with you about SH. I would really like to see more. But I can wait.

Right now the only books I don't have are:

The Ultimate Brick

Reality Storm: When Worlds Collide

Galactic Champions

Ninja Hero

Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook

Most of my buys were right when Steve said things were slow and ask for a bit of extra support. My game budget has to catch its breath before I can buy anything else. I had to place my miniatures habit on hold for a while :(

Here would be my "to get" list:

Nobles, Knights, and Necromancers

Ultimate Mentalist

The Celtic Beastiary

Tuala Morn

Ultimate Skill

The Underworld Sourcebook

Possible Leatherbound Special Edition - this is a very strong maybe.

Psychic Wars - possible depending on genre.

Horror HERO - maybe, maybe

Danger Zones - depends on genre.

Hmm, I'll sure get all of the following:

Ultimate Mentalist

Stronghold

Golden Age Champions

Ultimate Skill

Villians, Vandals and Vermin

Champions Universe Update

and maybe Psychic Wars, depending on the subject: if it gets to be a Scanners-like "psychic paranormals in modern conspsiracy setting", it's definite yes. It's also OK if it focus on psionics in Star Hero.

As for Pulp Hero and Horror Hero stuff... sorry, not interested at all.

From my memories, so just assume it's mostly correct...

Nobles, Knights, and Necromancers

-- Moved from 2005.

Ultimate Mentalist

-- Moved from 2005.

Stronghold

-- Details the Champions Universe prison, maps, and new villains that aren't in other books because they are too inept to have escaped from Stronghold (it was a joke).

Golden Age Champions

-- Darren Watts is writing this. He's a huge Golden Age fan. Covers 1936 to about 1950, though mostly focusing on WWII. Suggestions on how to run a campaign that reflects the Golden Age of comics (introducing your hero, WWII, what happens after the war as they fade away) as well as standard campaigns.

Psychic Wars

-- IIRC, an alternate campaign by Allen Thomas. Sort of modern day X-File-ish where mentalist-types rule the world behind the scenes. Apparently Allen has been wanting to do this for a couple of years.

The Celtic Beastiary

-- Monsters. Celtic monsters. Many you have not heard of. Steve Long writer.

Thrilling Places

-- For Pulp Hero. Lots of locations to hold adventures.

Tuala Morn

-- Steve Long's Celtic-themed campaign setting. He stressed that it will emphasize the theme and feel over historical accuracy.

Pulp Resource Book

-- The HERO System Equipment Guide for Pulp Hero. Steve will taylor the content based on user feedback from Pulp Hero.

Ultimate Skill

-- This was the poll winner. It'll be a really big book, maybe end up in two big volumes. One example is the Lockpicking skill which goes from a couple hundred words in 5ER to 12 000 words so far before editing. Steve is being his usual thorough self.

Villians, Vandals and Vermin

-- Champions Worldwide will have about 30 heroes and 60 villains. This is one reason why Villians, Vandals and Vermin was a safe book to push back to 2006.

Horror HERO

-- This was the poll runner-up.

Champions Universe Update

-- How have things changed in the last 4-1/2 years? Which heroes/villains died, who are the new heroes/villains, what have the heroes/villains been up to? Darren Watts will write. A meta-plot book if you will.

Danger Zones

-- IIRC, trouble spots around the world: Middle East, Balkans, a couple spots in Africa, Spratley Islands. Forgot what genre this is for.

-- Steve is going to take his unpublished material for GURPS Crime (which was cancelled) and add lots more things. Moved from 2005.

Possible Leatherbound Special Edition

-- Or other product to celebrate Champions' 25th Anniversary. There will be polls. Derek suggested a book with articles from as many old time Champions authors as possible, Steve and Darren said it would be really hard to contact many of those people. Someone else suggested a book of fan submissions, Steve and Darren said it would be a lot of work doing all the contracts.

Note that the products moved here from 2005 have replacements. So I believe all the 2005 publishing slots remain the same.

Based on this, here is what I want to get:

Ultimate Mentalist

Golden Age Champions

The Celtic Beastiary

Thrilling Places

Ultimate Skill

Horror HERO

Possible Leatherbound Special Edition

-- Or other product to celebrate Champions' 25th Anniversary. There will be polls. Derek suggested a book with articles from as many old time Champions authors as possible, Steve and Darren said it would be really hard to contact many of those people. Someone else suggested a book of fan submissions, Steve and Darren said it would be a lot of work doing all the contracts.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see. 5ER is pretty much a 25th Anniversary edition all by itself. Stick a leather cover on it and the price will put it way out of my reach (not that I need another edition right now anyway). I like the idea of a "HERO Jam" with various authors contributing stuff, but that can be a logistical nightmare.

Horror HERO

-- This was the poll runner-up.

I seem to recall a comment in one of the "what's coming up" threads to the effect that Hero would probably get someone else to write this. Do you happen to recall an author for it? (I'm hoping for Ken Hite.)

As far as the rest of the list goes, I'm really looking forward to Thrilling Places and Golden Age Champions, but there's a lot there that I'll probably end up buying.

I know I'm in a minority' date=' but personally, I hope they go with imitation leather. I would have happily shelled out the cash for the D&D 3.5 special and the Call of Cthulu limited had they not used the real thing.[/quote']

A good point. Being a carnivore I hadn't even considered that aspect on this book.

A good point. Being a carnivore I hadn't even considered that aspect on this book.

Most of my best friends are carnivores. :) I would feel like a hypocrite if I bought something leather-bound though. At least it seems to be something they're open to ideas about.

Personally, I'd like to see it as a full-colour interior faux-leather hardcover, signed and numbered. Like the GURPS 4E affair, but with even better rules.

I seem to recall a comment in one of the "what's coming up" threads to the effect that Hero would probably get someone else to write this. Do you happen to recall an author for it? (I'm hoping for Ken Hite.)

Definitely did not hear Ken Hite's name, but for a couple of projects Steve said that he had specific freelance authors in mind. He didn't want to mention them yet since no deals have been done (the schedule was dreamed up on Thursday). Unfortunately I'm really hazy whether Horror was one of those books.

Could you please expand upon this? Does this mean new products are being added to the 2005 lineup?

Hmm, now that I think about it I'm only somewhat sure that a couple of the 2006 products were moved up to 2005 because they fit there better. I"m drawing a complete blank of what are the new 2005 books, but those books were not listed in the 2006 list. Steve will post an official list when he gets back from the con and the web site will be updated in a week or two.