Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

"We're the subprime mortgage of superhero groups." <-- strangely, this did not inspire confidence.

Character A has been having some problems with his powers - they keep futzing out, and he doesn't know why. He has borrowed a blaster and some armor from Primus. Just before the PCs jump into a trap, and begin combat, one asks:

"You did practice with that pistol, right?"

A replies "I played a detective in a play once. He had a gun."

Cast of characters that caused this quote:

Disarray: mentalist and tk-user

Silver Swirl: other dimensional energy projecter

Scenario:

Some sort of plgue in a small town that so far seems to be transmitted by biting.

After discusing possible transmission including "bodily fluids", specifically blood and saliva:

Disarray, (ooc): "Transmitted by mastication"

GM(me) not as gm (nagm) "Mass mastication. Another word that sounds risque but is not: Thespian."

Disarray (ooc): "A masticating thespian."

Silver Swirl (ooc) "A matriculating thespian."

GM (nagm): "A matriculating thespian who masticates."

Disarray and Silver Swirl::tonguewav and pillows thrown.

I'm used to it.

A friend was visiting for the weekend, so my wife ran a fun little one-shot Faerie's Tale game for us. The characters:

Jaxx the Fierce: A pooka of very little brain, but a lot of courage and even more physical strength.

Princess: A sprite, courageous defender of the downtrodden. Also of very little brain.

The setup: Some kids, on a dare, snuck into an old abandoned castle and disappeared. Jaxx and Princess went into the castle to try to discover what had happened, and to rescue the children.

As we're entering the haunted castle, a guard steps out to challenge us:

Goblin: Halt!

Princess: No, you halt!

Goblin: No, you halt!

Princess: NO! YOU halt!

Goblin: This is our castle!

Princess: Oh. Well, um... halt anyway!

An evil goblin demands our identities:

Goblin: Who are you?

Jaxx: I am Jaxx the Fierce! And this is Princess... who is also fierce!

We've entered the castle walls and are cautiously creeping through a graveyard:

Jaxx: What kind of idiot puts his graveyard inside his castle walls? These dummies deserved whatever happened to them!

A scary ghost attacks!

Princess: I'm scared!

Jaxx: Hold me!

Princess: Only if you hold me first!

Repeated several times during the game:

GM: OK, make a Mind check.

Jaxx and Princess: :(

We drank a fair amount of wine during this game. Can you tell? :rofl:

Last night's Amber Diceless RPG session:

-----

Before the session starts:

Vincent (OOC): According to this (CD case), "Taste It" was one of INXS' greatest hits?

Conrad (OOC): That's the second greatest hits compilation. Their definitions get a little more elastic.

Quintus and Conrad set out to recruit an army:

Quintus: We're going to the rescue of a bunch of elves, right? We should show up with an army of orcs.

Conrad: That would be amusing.

Quintus: But not a horde. I prefer more disciplined troops.

Conrad: Right, Orcish legions, then. (OOC) Like in the Warlord CCG!

Quintus: We should make sure they have some sort of Trolls, with big spiky clubs, who can hurl boulders.

Conrad: Alaric requested wizards, too. I suppose he'll settle for orcish war shamans. Right, sounds like we have our shopping list, then.

Quintus: Don't forget, you wanted dragons, too.

Conrad: If I'm going to charge into a battle between elves and demons, I do it on dragonback. Style counts in these things.

-----

Quintus and Conrad find their army, but it's already fighting someone:

Quintus: Right then. Which side are we on?

Conrad: Well, it looks like the besiegers are winning. They don't need our help. We'll just ingratiate ourselves with the locals by slaughtering everything that stands between us and them.

-----

Quintus and Conrad succeed in breaking the siege through a combination of clever tactics and personal combat with the enemy's leaders, and are introduced to the leader of the defending army:

Orcish General: So, you're Prince Conrad of Amber? If you're here, that means that the Dark Times are truly upon us! But you will lead us through them, to victory and glory!

Quintus (sotto voce): Good Lord! There's a prophecy, isn't there?

Conrad: There always is...

-----

The GM asks for everyone's plans for the upcoming epic battle. Conrad senses a pattern:

Conrad: You know how you can tell that Quintus and I are military geniuses? Our plans are always the simplest... "Heavy cavalry charge, right up the middle!", "I ride in on dragon-back and set fire to anyone who looks evil.", "I stab the evil sorceress with a magic spear." That's the hallmark of a really good plan.

-----

Leandro is used to being the worst swordsman in his peer-group. Indeed, he is resigned to it... To the point where he forgets that he's actually a pretty darn good fighter:

Leandro (OOC to GM): Do I think I can fight off the crew of the siege tower long enough to block the door?

Conrad (OOC): I don't see why not, they're combat engineers, not frontline troops.

Leandro (OOC): "Top" engineers, no doubt.

GM: Dude, you're ranked 4th in Warfare, even if they were front-line troops, you could take them.

Leandro: Sweet! I charge in on my pegasus and attack them.

GM: You mow down these hapless mooks, barely breaking stride.

Quintus (OOC): Savor this moment.

Leandro (OOC): Trust me, I am.

-----

Conrad has attempted to fly directly at the evil sorceress on dragonback, and been rewarded with a lightning bolt to the head:

Conrad (to Bucephalus the Truly Enormous Dragon): All right, the frontal attack didn't work. We'll have to land and sneak up on her. You can do 'subtle', right?

-----

After the epic battle, Quintus and Conrad investigate the castle's basement, and find a Very Bad Thing That No One Was Prepared For down there:

Conrad: I have a plan. Would you like to hear it?

Quintus: No. But please, do go on.

Conrad: We go back out, lock the door, and never mention this to anyone.

Quintus: Funny, that was MY plan, too.

Conrad: We'll need to reinforce these locks.

Quintus: Maybe fill the whole room with concrete?

Conrad: Good idea, but it needs something more... Something with poisoned spikes, and maybe a deadfall.

Quintus: We should brick up that secret door, too.

Conrad: And post a sign saying, "Beware of the Leopard".

-----

Alaric is curious...

Alaric: So, what was in the basement?

Conrad: Nothing. Absolutely nothing of interest. Some broken up old furniture. You don't need to go look.

Alaric: I see...

Quintus: There was a leopard.

Leandro (OOC): "And the lights were out. So were the stairs."

-----

Conrad attempts to clarify the situation:

Conrad: Look, it's not so much that we're concealing important information from you... Well, that's exactly what it is.

Alaric: That's what I thought.

Conrad: You won't like it. Frankly, you're better off not knowing.

Alaric (oozing sarcasm): I'm sure.

-----

Conrad makes a second attempt:

Conrad: It's not so much that I'm concealing something that's a threat to you, as something that would turn out badly if you knew about it.

Alaric: You don't trust me?

Conrad: Nothing personal. I'm not telling Vincent, either. I like Vincent, but I don't trust him.

-----

Vincent fears that his moment of self-sacrificing heroism is going unnoticed:

Vincent: Hey! I set myself up to get completely curb-stomped in the battle, unless you all rode in to save me....

Conrad: And we did ride in to save your bacon, didn't we? Count your blessings.

-----

Leandro heads back to Amber and makes his report to the king:

Leandro: So, that's pretty much everything that's happened up to this point. Oh, and I believe that this here Jewel of Judgement belongs to you. We found it lying around somewhere.

-----

Alaric is shocked to discover someone might doubt his motives:

Alaric: Wait a minute, you're telling me that Vincent and I are the least-trusted members of the group?

Conrad: Er. Yeah.

Alaric: You and Quintus are the least-trusted members of the group!

Conrad: Well, admittedly, at this particular moment we are.

-----

Edited - Forgot a couple:

-----

Alaric has come up with a perfectly reasonable plan to keep the enemy from wondering where he is while he infiltrates their army. Unfortunately, he's set it up entirely with private notes to the GM, so none of the rest of the group knows what's going on:

Alaric (to GM): I send my duplicate to join Quintus' army. (To Quintus): A guy who looks like me shows up and says, (in a robotic monotone)"Hello. I am Alaric. Please allow me to join your army and fight alongside you."

Quintus: Well, this isn't even remotely suspicious. (To GM): Why are you letting him have robot duplicates, anyway?

Alaric: Fine. He has a note pinned to his shirt, it says, "I am not a trap. Signed, Alaric."

Quintus: Oddly enough, that doesn't help. Fine, you can be a centurion. Take that platoon of orcs over there. You shouldn't be able to do too much damage with just a century.

-----

Later, during the battle, Vincent is preparing for his death-or-glory charge to distract the evil sorceress from Alaric's assassination attempt:

Quintus: Don't forget to pin a note to your shirt that says, "I am not a trap. Signed, Alaric." That trick always works!

-----

Vincent is attempting to strangle the sorceress faster than she can take over his mind:

Vincent (to GM): If possible, I try to maneuver her into an enclosed space where it will be difficult for her to shapeshift into some monstrous beast and eviscerate me.

GM: Well, you're on an open battlefield, so no luck there.

Conrad: I've got the perfect place! (points to Bucephalus) I call it, "a dragon's gullet."

Vincent: You're yards and yards away. I don't have that kind of time.

Have you read the Amber novels by Roger Zelazny? Because they're what the game is based on, and none of what I'm about to say will make a lick of sense if you haven't. I'll spoiler it so people who aren't interested can skip it:

The campaign to date has revolved around the fallout from the scene in Book 5 where Corwin decides to create a second Pattern. So, where there had originally been two 'poles' to the cosmos (the Pattern in Amber and the Logrus in the Courts of Chaos), now there are three, and weird stuff keeps happening (universes appearing and disappearing, strange storms that affect multiple worlds, people transported between worlds unwillingly, or unable to travel between worlds using the usual methods). Plus, Corwin's gone missing again, so it took our characters six or eight sessions just to find out that he'd even made a new Pattern. Then, just as we were starting to get a handle on THAT, we found out that some crazy sorceress from the Courts of Chaos had A) kidnapped & brainwashed Corwin, B) used him to attack Amber and steal the Jewel of Judgement (the widget which makes Patterns) and C) was preparing to attack the Shadow-world that Conrad grew up in. Thus, all of the running around, recruiting armies and fighting epic battles.

After the battle, Quintus and Conrad got to wondering why she'd gone to all of this effort to attack a world that was, so far as we knew, entirely unimportant. Up to this point, we'd been working on the theory that she was part of the militant faction of the Courts of Chaos that blamed Amber for creating a second Pattern and causing all of this trouble in the first place. It made sense that she would attack Amber and steal the Jewel, presumably planning to use it to eliminate one (or both) of the Patterns, or create a second Logrus, or something along those lines. But on the grand scheme of things, Pyndawyr (Conrad's home) was a backwater, only noteworthy for the fact that it was exactly 'halfway' between Amber and the Courts of Chaos, however you define 'distance' when you're talking about alternate universes that are shadowy reflections of the only two 'real' worlds (well, three 'real' worlds now, because of Corwin's little experiment).

So, we go down into the basement of the castle, based on some fragmentary references Conrad had found in old grimoires while he was brushing up on his sorcery a few weeks earlier, found the secret door leading to the sub-basement, solved the puzzle-lock which was clearly designed so that it could only be opened by an Amberite or a Lord of Chaos, went into the room which was completely dark, until a ring of torches started lighting up by themselves to reveal: a Pattern on the floor, just like the one in Amber, only it was rotating (clockwise IIRC), which is not usually something that the Pattern does, PLUS a Logrus hanging in the air above it, also rotating (widdershins), which is something that the Logrus is reputed to do, but Conrad's never actually seen it, so he's not sure. These represent the sixth and seventh impossible things we've seen so far in this campaign, and we're approaching our limits.

So, essentially, after a campaign where every few sessions we discover that "Everything We Thought We Knew Was Wrong" and "Powerful Forces Are At Work" and "Reality As We Know It" is in "Grave Peril", we went down into the basement and discovered compelling evidence that: "No Really, EVERYTHING We Thought We Knew Was Wrong" and "We Have No Idea What Is Going On Now".

In a different kind of campaign, we would naturally run back to the rest of the party and report our discoveries so that we could pool our resources and Save the Day. But that's not how Amber works. In particular, that's not how Alaric works. So, we've decided that it's simpler just to not tell him. That way, he'll spend the next couple of sessions scheming a way to winkle the information out of us, or discover it on his own. Instead of spending the next couple of sessions scheming a way to turn the situation to his advantage, possibly dooming us all in the process. Managing Alaric's propensity for scheming is one of our most vital tasks.

Sixth (and last) session of Unknown Armies:

The Cast:

Tony "Bender" Bendetti -- Mafia made man and dipsomancer.

Paulie "Fender" -- Mafia wheelman

Sam Tsung -- Avatar of the Masterless Man

Elmore James Winchester -- Avatar of the Pilgrim

Bender: "We [the Mafia] respect women!"

Elmore: "And your cousin?"

Bender: "She's just some broad."

Sam (OOC): "Only one man can drink this much alcohol... bring his shot glasses to me."

GM: "Bender is doing his mojo, when all of a sudden.... Oh, this is going to hurt."

OOC comment on Bender: "Bring in the stunt liver."

OOC: "Paulie was a little hard on the Beaver last night."

Bender: "He's a pimp!"

Paulie: "Yeah, a pimp of death!

"Vic... that's Bender. He doesn't remember."

Lets start with some quotes from my Star Trek: Original Series campaign, set aboard the USS Farragut (a Constitution-class starship). The PC's are:

Captain Marshall: Heroic and dashing captain

Lt. Cmdr. Jeagar: (pronounced "YAY - grrr") Chief of Security. Hes a PC, so his odds of survival are MUCH higher than you might expect!

Lt. J.G. Fey: Cute little blonde supergenius, recently posted as Third Engineer

CMC Maddox: Bosun of the ship (highest ranking enlisted; liaison between the enlisted and the officers) and former Drill Instructor at Starfleet Academy

---------------------

Maddox (OOC): I was reading this online web comic...well...actually...now that I think of it, ALL web comics are "online web comics"...

-------------

Fey (OOC): Wait a minute! Commander Jaegar is the Security Chief, and his favorite foods are "anything fried, and desserts"?! So, hes basically a cop who loves donuts!

Jaegar (OOC): Well, yeah :D

-------

Fey (OOC): Im going to spend about twenty minutes discussing my dissatisfaction with the matter/antimatter intermix ratios to a micrometer degree with Suvek. Only the Vulcan engineer can truly understand my pain at their callous miscalibration.

Capt. Marshall (OOC): What a pain in the Angstrom!

-------------

GM: Theres some kind of localized interference.

Maddox (OOC): I look at my communicator. "What do you MEAN 'Out of Service Area'?!?"

------------

On R&R

Maddox: Declare war on the fish!

Fey: These fish have NO HONOR! ;)

--------

Maddox (OOC): Set phasers to "Short Term Amnesia" *shoots self in head with toy phaser prop*

-----------

** Note: I would LOVE to do my usual bit with bolding and italicizing to denote names and actions...but for some reason the new forum set-up wont LET ME! The cursor will NOT behave! HELP!

Also, the "edit" function gives a much larger, more convenient window for typing in. The window we are expected to type in when originally posting is the "quick response" window, which is too small.

I had -meant- to post more quotes, but I cant stand it! AAAAAARRRGH!

(Thank you for your tolerance of my intolerance) ;)

Some of the quotes from one of the latest Wardens' sessions...

+++++

While sending a transmission to his people...

"We are an advanced alien species, you know," chides Karex.

"Can you go with it?" quips Amethyst.

"You cannot fax a person," replies Karex.

+++++

To which Judah quips, "All they are seeing is 'I Love Lucy and "Happy Days.'"

+++++

"I just want to meet some Yricians," exclaims the Knight.

"Hello," replies Karex.

"Not you, someone else," responds the Knight.

+++++

"Not really," says Karex. "Like I have said before, Humanity is the most violent race we have met."

+++++

"He is not Prime in a suit," says a bewildered Tommy. "He's a real alien"

+++++

The Knight speaks with Gianna, "There is a lesson to be learned sometimes you need to exercise restraint."

Karex takes a jab at the Knight by commenting, "It is nice that you finally admit that you were wrong."

The Knight replies, "We will work on that."

Lets start with some quotes from my Star Trek: Original Series campaign, set aboard the USS Farragut (a Constitution-class starship). The PC's are:

Captain Marshall: Heroic and dashing captain

Lt. Cmdr. Jeagar: (pronounced "YAY - grrr") Chief of Security. Hes a PC, so his odds of survival are MUCH higher than you might expect!

Lt. J.G. Fey: Cute little blonde supergenius, recently posted as Third Engineer

CMC Maddox: Bosun of the ship (highest ranking enlisted; liaison between the enlisted and the officers) and former Drill Instructor at Starfleet Academy

[Lots of good stuff edited for length. Go back and look if you don't remember]

Reminds me of the Star Trek (Fasa) campaign I ran back in the day. Your group sounds like a fun bunch. Repped.

Thanks! I must admit, I feel pretty lucky to have the friends I have :)

And now...DCEAU quotes! The PCs are Nightwing (looks like a young Tom Cruise), Batgirl (looks like Danielle Panabaker), and Catwoman (looks like Morena Bacarrin), with whom I am certain you are all at least passingly familiar ;)

-----------------

Batgirl: All I know is, if Solomon Grundy shows his face in Gotham City, Im resorting to the "Slappy Squirrel Defense".

Nightwing: Whats that?

Batgirl: Detonite down his pants!

Nightwing: .....You're willing to actually reach "down there" on him?

Batgirl: I know...it sounds nuts!

-------------------

Nightwing: They're holed up in that abandoned hotel. Lets check the Batcomputer for schematics, and see if we can find a way in.

Catwoman: *Looks incredulous* You need a COMPUTER for that? Why not JUST GO LOOK!

Nightwing: Going in without a plan is dangerous.

Catwoman: Exactly! :D

----------------

Catwoman:*pacing* Is it time to go in yet?

Nightwing: Not yet. The others arent in place.

Catwoman: ....How about now?

Nightwing: No. And I'll spank you if you ask again.

Catwoman: Promise?

Nightwing: Yes.

Catwoman: Is it time yet? ;D

---------------

Catwoman: Uh oh. Either we've set off an alarm, and we want to be somewhere else. Or we've set off something ELSE, and we want to be somewhere else!

----------------

Catwoman: *disarms Two Face of his flashlight in the darkness* Hi Harvey! I'm home!

Two Face: Catwoman! You're supposed to be one of US! You...you TWO TIMER!

Catwoman: *smugly* ...Thats fair :)

---------------

Catwoman (OOC): Im going to wrap my thighs around Two Face's head, since he's got me grappled.

GM: Im...going to give you a circumstance bonus for that....

--------------

Catwoman: *petting the cat in RL* I just dont get these Gotham villains, with their irrational attractions, their obsessions, and their idiosyncracies .

Batgirl: .....Of course, Selina. *deadpans to camera*

---------------

Catwoman: So....are you dating anybody in particular? And if youre not dating anybody in particular, is there anybody in particular that you are not particularly dating?

----------------

Jim Gordon: Whats this I hear about you being seen around town in the company of Selina Kyle, Barbara?

Barbara (aka Batgirl): Well, you know that she's a friend of Bruce's.

Gordon: I acknowledge it. I dont pretend to understand it.

Barbara: We just did a little shopping together. Its no big deal.

Gordon: Barbara, you KNOW the kind of person she is. What her past has been......And if she tries to get you in to some kind of "Kitten" costume the answer is NO!

---------------

At an upscale, trendy, and very expensive Gotham boutique...

Selina (aka Catwoman): *Is shopping*

Harleen Quinzel: *AHEM!* Excuse me miss, but do you have this skirt in pleather?

Salesgirl: Wha-...in pleather?!

Selina: *Turns slowly towards Harley........GLARES*

Harleen Quinzel: Nevermind-I-gotta-go-bye! *flees!*

-----------------------

Batgirl: ...So I just dont know what to do!

Nightwing: I know.....You need a Harvey Dent Executive Decision Maker! *pulls out a coin*