Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Also - character portraits of the various PCs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40320[/ATTACH]pencil.png

All well done - especially (IMO) 3 & 4.

Given all that I have heard about this bunch, I cannot help but think that their pics should be accompanied by a warning. Something along the lines of "Authorities are looking for these people ....".

Given all that I have heard about this bunch, I cannot help but think that their pics should be accompanied by a warning. Something along the lines of "Authorities are looking for these people ....".

Given their past exploits (those which have been posted thus far), I suspect

that there would be an addition to that warning -- something along the lines

of "If you must engage them in combat at all, do so from extreme long range,

preferably with low-yield plasma explosives."

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Nice to have a picture for the Madness.

heehee.

Well, give it a few weeks. I certainly suspect the Admech & the Imperium are going to be very annoyed with the PCs before long. And the van Baroque Dynasty are going to be highly upset that they're risking the family fortune on another planetary invasion, when they still haven't recovered from the last one.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be certain.

Cthulhu, Part 43 - Happily, an episode in which they didn't bulldoze themselves straight through the plot, but only because we never even started the plot - the entire session for character interaction, and the introduction of yet another character. I think that make 12 players now? Even if I'm lucky if half of them can make it each week.

Schwartz
: Dialogue boxes in film are an important part of the art. For example, Max Shreck as Nosferatu, bending over the neck of his victim - 'What a lovely throat you have' - cue the bite.

McGinty
: So what are we going to film me doing next? I know! Enjoying a nice glass of beer! *
swigs

Hyneman
: 'What a lovely throat you have'

But prior to his arrival, McGinty gets called up as a witness in the court case to jail the necromancer from last session. The case isn't going too well - his relatives, appalled at the accusation, have called in expensive lawyers to defend him, and they're doing their best to discredit the circumstances. For example, the burned remains in the basement can't possibly have been any of the exhumed remains, because according to the expert witness they got in, none of them was more than a week dead, and all exhibited such bizarre anatomical abnormalities that they bore no resemblance to the known deceased. McGinty's claims that an anonymous government agent called him in, and that their evidence of malfeasance was the smell of burning meat at 3 in the morning, which they somehow managed to smell from the road, and getting McGinty to admit that they had no difficulty entering the premises - and therefore anybody else could have got in before them - all start adding reasonable doubt to the case. His performance in the dock doesn't do his election hopes much good either.

McGinty
: He was going around digging up dead people and doing nasty things to 'em
*humping motions*
and making baby Jesus cry and you should hurry up and send him to the death chair... Zap!

Campaign Manager in the audience
: *
facepalm

Defence
: Objection!

Judge
: Sustained. Mister McGinty, I think you labour under a misapprehension about which of us is going to do the sentencing. Please limit yourself to answering the actual questions.

Eventually a compromise verdict is reached - the suspect is remanded into the care of the state asylum until his alcohol dependence can be cured, and the origin of all those bodies in his basement can be investigated. Certainly nobody has reported the disappearance of half-a-dozen anatomical freaks lately.

McGinty
: That's not fair - he's a loony necromancer and they're sending him off to treat his alcoholism? He should be going to the loonybin!

GM
headdesk

Hyneman
: That where alcoholics are
sent
, McGinty.

McGinty
: They are?
*looks hopeful*
I should check myself in - Hey there, I'm here for the booze
*holds out glass

The headlines the next day include "McGINTY BAFFLES BOSTON'S FINEST LEGAL MINDS" - and that mind you, from the pro-McGinty paper - but Schwartz and Hyneman do their best to make the newsreel in McGinty's favour, editing the footage so it appears the suspect needed 6 orderlies to wrestle him into the van, instead of being the confused and frightened man he was in reality. But the whole débâcle still hurts McGinty's standing in the public eyes.

ONI sends up another agent to assist with investigation - one Howard Johnson.

Rondale
: Why is he here?

GM
: Well, there's a number of possibilities - the number of incidents you report is so much higher than anywhere else in the country, that 1 : You need all the help you can get, or 2 : You are, in fact, out of your mind and making it all up. Either way, here he is.

Hyneman OOC
: I believe they call it Adult Supervision

McGinty OOC
: 'Does not play well with others'

Hyneman OOC
: I know - he could be the sober and rational Scully to your semi-deranged Mulder

Rondale
outraged
* But I AM the rational one, compared to McGinty!

Hyneman OOC
shrugs
* It's turtles all the way down.

On security precautions at Rondale & McGinty's Automotive & Electrical

Hyneman
: Flocks of geese on the outside, turkeys on the inside.

GM
: Shall we continue to put it off, or is it time to confront the McGinty in his lair?

*cut to the McGinty nee Wilcox Mansion, where McGinty is currently stalking the corridors wielding a large tribal spear.

Rondale goes to some length to forewarn Johnson about what he's getting into, including demonstrating deadly magic on an innocent bird.

Hyneman OOC
: I tawt I taw a Dark Wizard! I did! I did see a Dark Wizard!

Rondale
: Time for you to meet McGinty... you poor bastard.

Rondale
: McGinty!

McGinty
:
*Sticks head out window*
What do you want? Oh, it's you.

Johnson
: My god, you're right! It IS horrible!

McGinty
: I pull out my giant snake and show it to them.

Rondale
: Oh god no...

McGinty
:
*uncrates a meter-wide snake-head left over from the Yig case*

Rondale
: oh, thank god, THAT snake!

McGinty
: You've already seen my other snake. It's even bigger.
:eg:

McGinty
: I've seen things that could drive a man mad.

Hyneman
deadpan
* . Yes. It would appear so.

Schwartz
: Why did you want to become Governor?

GM
:
Because he hates me

GM
: I realise I'm supposed to be the GM here, but what scenes of mind-bending horror did I miss while I was away from the table?

Hyneman
: I think I've got enough footage here for a 10 minute newsreel. And a 13 hour comedy epic.

McGinty
: I can't even have normal conversations with the neighbours anymore - 'So, what have you been up to, Patrick?' ' Oh, I shot a demon, you?'. And when I go to the speakeasy I start talking out of the bottle. They've asked me to stop drinking there. You want to know why I want to be Governor? So I can finally get away from all this. Oh, not the monsters, I can deal with the monsters. I just want to get away from you shower of bastards.

McGinty
: Oh, and another thing - don't let a woman drive, especially if you're getting firewood.

GM
: You're afraid of getting wood, with a woman?

McGinty
: I've been to Buckingham Palace. I got me one of them bourbon robes. Waste of time, you couldn't even suck the flavour out of them.

Rondale frets about his family - his siblings are in Boston, but his mother still lives in California. He wants her to move to New England. McGinty thinks this is a great idea, or they could go visit her for Christmas.

McGinty
: I could get you there in an hour! A present from Santa Claus! And it's already got the claws, so that'll save time. Still not perfect though...

GM
: .... you want to put a beard on a Star Vampire, don't you.

McGinty
: Yeah, your Mum SHOULD move up here, then I can get to know her, maybe get married...

Rondale
:
*glares at him, one hand over the phone mouthpiece*

GM
: And then you're have to call him Dad.

McGinty
: Who's your Daddy? Who's your Daddy? I am, because I banged yer Mum.

Rondale eventually decides to go visit his siblings - McGinty thinks this will be a great opportunity to gatecrash a few Halloween parties at Harvard, and wonders what fancy dress costumes to wear.

Hyneman
: I know - you could go as "The Perils of Alcohol"

Rondale
: I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to my family.

Hyneman
: Well, you've got two siblings. We can experiment with one and you'll still have one left.

Eventually, costumes assembled, they head down to meet Rondale's siblings and see how many parties they can blag their way into. McGinty even takes his favourite hottie librarian along. And as a Cthulhu GM, these are moments I live for, because now they're all assembled, practically unarmed, with vulnerable friends and family in tow, and I can inflict the 'Plan 9 From Halloween' scenario "The Faculty Party" on them...

Ian continues to terrorise online games. For example, a modern warfare game he was involved in, where the teams were down to him vs. an enemy sniper. He proceed to sneak up, and straddle the sniper, and teabag him until he looked up, whereupon Ian stabbed him in the face.

Other players
: Dude, he was there for like
half an hour

Sniper
: I couldn't figure out where he was! There was this thing that kept appearing at the top of the screen...

4th edition DnD continues

Andraste the Pyromaniac, Eladrin Warlock

Theren the Archer, Elven Ranger

Adinymus the Holy, Drow Cleric

Sepheris the Creepy, Shadow-Elf Thief

Goguin the Faithful, Dwarven Cleric

Bearn the Mental, Dwarven Battlemind

Alek the Evil, Human Paladin

OK, we go to the Eladrin city...To find the location of the Dwarven city...

Eladrin Prince(NPC): We here tales that in Neverwinter there is a band of adventurers.

Goguin: That could be us, yes.

EP: They travel with a Eladrin lady.

Andraste: OK...

EP: Who uses diabolic powers to accomplish her evil goals.

All but Andraste: NOPE/We never saw her/Couldn't be our Eladrin/etc.

EP: (to Andraste) So, you are not her?

Andraste: You heard them, they would know.

later

Sepheris: I noticed you didn't deny it.

Andraste: Of course not, lying to Eladrin nobility is wrong.

Sepheris: But making deals with infernal creatures isn't?

Off to the abandoned Dwarven city!

We have to deal with the mushroom people

Alek:I don't trust the mushroom man.

Andraste: Don't worry, he's a fun guy.

Attacked by a Ettin...

Bearn: He's got two heads. Try to shoot an arrow in his face now.

Therin: That's what twin strike is for.

Orc attack!

Goguin: Orcs, Mister Rico! Zillions of them!

Andraste: How many zillions?

Andraste uses a area affect hellfire attack...

Alek: I love the smell of brimstone in the morning. Smells like...

Therin: Dead orcs?

Andraste: Roast dead orc?

Alek: Victory, you fools!

Andraste: People who call me 'fool' tend to wake up on fire.

Sung

Therin:I shoot a arrow in his face,

And an arrow in his face,

And another arrow in the other guy's face

And then TWO arrows in the last one's face!

Hyneman OOC : I know - he could be the sober and rational Scully to your semi-deranged Mulder

Rondale : *outraged* But I AM the rational one, compared to McGinty!

Hyneman OOC : *shrugs* It's turtles all the way down.[/indent]

No, no, no. McGinty is the ASM... The Alcohol-Swilling Man.

Going out for dinner, and selecting the fish course.

McGinty
: NO TENTACLES

GM
: Or scales either, I presume

McGinty
: Yeah, no scales either.

Maître d
: .... perhaps a
bouillabaisse
?

McGinty
: Sounds good, but makes sure it's a clear soup, so I can tell if anything is hiding in the bottom of the bowl.

GM
headdesk

McGinty
: Here's a pin. Vote McGinty.

I haven't been writing down quotes lately from either one friend's D&D4.0 game or another friend's Pathfinder game. But here's one I recall from last night's Pathfinder game:

Two of us (Thorn the fighter, and Eoin the paladin) are looking for Callie (our wizard) who is rather late returning to the inn from visiting a friend. The last we saw of her, she was going off to get the mule stabled. So we start at the stable...

Eoin: Pardon me, lad, we are looking for a friend of ours. She came in earlier this afternoon to get a mule stabled.

Stableboy: Is she real pretty?

Eoin: I'm... not sure. :confused: It's... it's just a mule...

Eoin: Pardon me, lad, we are looking for a friend of ours. She came in earlier this afternoon to get a mule stabled.

Stableboy: Is she real pretty?

Eoin: I'm... not sure. :confused: It's... it's just a mule...

Well, at least she can be certain they keep her around for her wizardry skills and not how she looks. Try to get taht much respect on your decent place of work (and a similary lax dress code).

Well' date=' at least she can be certain they keep her around for her wizardry skills and not how she looks. Try to get taht much respect on your decent place of work (and a similary lax dress code).[/quote']

Actually, Callie is supposed to be pretty. I was intentionally acting as if the stableboy was referring to the mule, not Callie.

No real quotes involved, but when we did find Callie, she was a bit irritated that we found her (at her friend's house) after only about 40 minutes of looking, whereas it took her an hour and a half to find her friend's house.

Chris: “Is Roundtree, I mean Black-.”

Bruce: “Yes, Chris, Richard Roundtree is black.”

(Guy named Blacktree is our antagonist, but Chris got a little tongue-tied requiring Bruce to confirm Shaft’s ethnicity.)

a comment by Daniel Bensen, amused by Tech-Priest Casu Marzu

"Adeptus, can I come in?"

"Of course, meatbag, my door is always open. How may I assimilate your lamentations?"

"Well, I'm afraid my girlfriend might be cheating on me."

"Meatbag, any relationship your pathetic brain can comprehend is based on trust."

"I know, I know, but it's hard some times, you know?"

"Would you like me to impale your frontal cortex with a trust-spike?"

"...yeah, okay."

Only on page 79 of reading this most epic of threads, but I have to contribute some from our recently-started Hero game.

The characters:

Groundwire: Played by my friend who's new to gaming. Players is a bisexual female, character is a lesbian dating a reporter who is opposed to the recent superhero shennanigans, and Groundwire in particular. As you may gather, an electrically-based hero.

Nightscream (my character): Recently paroled after spending five years in prison for manslaughter (he knifed his DNPC's abusive boyfriend to death in a fit of rage.) Now living with Liz and her not-quite-five-year-old-son as he looks out for them, does his hero thing, and tries to get Liz to be more than just his friend. His superpowers come from being bonded to an alien symiotic organism (think Ultimate Spider-Man from Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.) One of his main powers is +25 Strength (bringing his total Str up to the campaign limit of 75), only while Enraged. Other notable ability: Selectable Area Effect Hand Attack, defined as whipping tendrils that clobber anyone within 4 squares of him.

Gravitas: Gravity-powered flyer. Most of his powers revolve around hindering the enemy in some way.

Flipside: Team leader. His main power is to drain the powers from opponents and either keep them himself (think Rogue) or give them to allies.

Vulcan: The player has pretty much dropped out, but he was the team's brick. Basically a Warhammer 40k Space Marine ported into Hero.

We all got our powers in similar fashion. We were all employed by a cutting-edge scientific research company, and a catastrophic series of failures caused every experiment to go haywire. Nightscream (actually the name of the symbiote) came through an unstable wormhole thanks to a project attempting to build "Stargates," Groundwire was exposed to some crazy stuff as she was trying to shut down a short-circuiting electrical panel, Filpside's experiments with reordering matter (essentially atomic alchemy) gave him the ability to absorb properties from others, Gravitas' gravitational exploded around him. Mercury Scientific is no more, but we've come together to create a security firm specializing in high-tech security systems. This is our front for our crimefighting team.

We've had a few gems in our sessions:

As I have Nightscream wade into a group of low-powered supervillains, positioning him to use his AoE to maximum effect: "I'm gonna whip 'em like subs at a BDSM convention!"

Some villains we'd captured are being broken out of their convoy by their allies who escaped us. One of the villains, a flame-powered character, has incapacitated two of the cops with a flame blast. Groundwire runs to the nearest police officer, a female, and tries to bat out the flames. She misses her "attack" roll miserably, making no contact with the fire.

Me: Hey! My fire is UP HERE!

Hearing about a break-in at a place out day jobs had installed a security system at, we begin investigating. Myself and, I believe Gravitas, are on the roof, preparing to go in through the roof door. I try to sneak down the stairs. My Stealth skill is still only Everyman, but it doesn't matter as I roll an 18. To this day, I have yet to live down the "falling down the stairs jokes.

Nightscream is loosely based on symbiote Spider-Man, because I just love Spider-Man and the look of the black costume. In the three or four iterations of Hero system we've tried over the years, he keeps pushing me to move farther and farther from the Spider-Man concept, while still giving me grief over how close he perceives the concept to still be. Anyway, as we respond to a disturbance at the zoo and wind up facing a menagerie (pun intended) of animal-themed villains, one of them is Spider-Man, complete with my red-and-blue HeroClix mini. He uses cans of super silly-string to incapacitate people. Groundwire chases him around, even up on to the roof as the fight turns against the bad guys, and I keep encouraging her to take him down, finally chanting, as she readies her Tesla's Finger attack:

"Fry him, fry him, fry him like an egg."

Groundwire: I think you have a very serious misunderstanding about how electricity works.

Me: I don't care, fry him like an egg!

During the same session as the GM informs me I've been poisoned:

Wait he's. . . of COURSE he's poisonous, he's Platypus Man.

Less a quote, and more a funny continual happenstance:

Gravitas has the fastest movement rate of anyone on the team, having actually bought Megascale for his flight, so he is invariably the first of us to arrive at any disturbance, so he usually scouts around while waiting for the rest of us to arrive. In other games we've played, he's played a Nosferatu combat twink in VTM and a Noghri assassin in Star Wars D20, and has decided that he's absolutely done making stealthy characters, and so has deliberately not bought stealth for Gravitas. Invariably, the bad guys wind up ready for us every time we come after them.

One of the main antagonists of the campaign so far is appearing to be a company called Polyhedron, which manufactures "power cuffs," a small bracelet which nullifies the super-powers of anyone wearing them. Groundwire's girlfriend got a hold of one of the cuffs, and our team dissected it to figure out how it worked. It led us to a lot of questions about Polyhedron, which we were eager to answer. Groundwire was extremely gung-ho about breaking in, Nightscream (still having to report to his parole offer) was less enthusiastic, and advocated a more restrained approach. Groundwire went ahead with breaking in on her own. First, she began tailing one of Polyhedron's top security guys, and followed him to work. However, a critical OOC misunderstanding of AM versus PM caused her to attempt her break-in at ten in the morning. She was quickly captured and essentially blackmailed into working for Polyhedron, both as an electrical engineer and as a double-agent to spy on our superhero team. She came clean about the whole thing, but Nightscream in particular was. . . less then pleased.