Pirate-Theme Villains Needed

Koshka

I was thinking about doing a team of villains for my golden age game with a pirate theme. The heroes are in a coastal area, so it fits. So far, I've got:

Corsair (team leader)

Cutlass (either a weaponsmaster or a martial artist/fencing)

Pieces Of Eight (duplicator)

I'm having trouble deciding what Corsair's powers/skills should be. At first I thought about updating Privateer from 4th edition GAC. Unfortunately, I've got three female characters in a five-hero team, and Privateer's psych lims are going to be a bit too limiting -- especially since one of the females is one of the bricks.

Most of Pieces of Eight's points will be going into the Duplication, but what else should he be able to do? Just some minor combat skills and an obscene Teamwork roll, or is there something more creative out there waiting to be thought of?

Also, any other ideas for villains who would fit in this team?

Re: Pirate-Theme Villains Needed

I'm working from the assumption that this is a fairly lighthearted game. Mr. Terrific, not the Spider.

Blackbeard - stretching on his beard. Can be used to grab, entangle, toss heroes about.

Jolly Roger (if the game has hit the 1940's, use him as team leader/general skill guy and Corsair as a flyer, like the plane of the same name)

"Arr" - large, not too bright brick. Very limited vocabulary. Useful for the team leader to say things like, "Arr, toss them overboard."

Bilge - stinky Hydroman

Golden Age guys shouldn't have one-word names - he should be The Corsair or Captain Corsair. Either he needs to be Errol Flynn (Swinging, Acrobatics, mad sword skillz) or Blackbeard (huge, strong, fearsome, mad sword skillz). Or since you seem to have an expert swordsman in the Crimson Cutlass, maybe he could use a pair of flintlock pistols instead.

The Quartermaster - Maybe an inventor?

How about a Press Gang?

Here are a few ideas. Some are better than others. :)

Corsair - One of the defininitions I found was a fast pirate ship. Maybe a speedster would work?

Captain Kid - 8 year old evil genius. Dresses like a pirate just to fit in. This is the only team that accepts him/her. Maybe a gadgeteer.

Plunder - Steals or Drains powers from others, like Rogue in X-men.

Flying Dutchman - Well, he flies. And he's a pirate.

(edit) Pieces of Eight - Instead of just Duplication, maybe you could merge it with Multiform and make her alternate form 8 smaller versions of herself with Shrinking. Not sure how much rule-bending would be required for that.

Captain Eyepatch with a variety of vision based powers based in his eyepatch along with a laser.

Polly the Parrot. Annoying mascot of the team that has perfect recall and is used as a spy to get safe combinations

Sargasso the Sea Monster Tosses seaweed that entagles a foe and then makes them invisible while they are entangled. (How can you free your friends, when you don't know where they are?)

Pegleg Pete. Superlead. While leading over an opponent, he can fire a blast of energy out of his peg leg.

Armada- stretching or classic brick powers.

Press Gang- Mind Control with no range, one command-"Join Us", thus allowing him/her to subvert the enemy to their side.

Should have a few of them with actual underwater abilities as well, both to match the theme and for better escape/movement possibilities in a coastal setting.

Makes me think of the skeleton guy from Killer Instinct. Cool.

Yeah, that's who I was picturing. :)

He could have this old rusted cutlass that's impossibly sharp and cuts threw just about anything (inorganic since this is Golden Age) and a jewel set in his eye socket (under an eyepatch) that can turn the weak into members of his ghastly crew!!!

I designed a character called Billy Bones (from Treasure Island). A pirate obsessed with booty... so much so that when he died, he cursed his treasure that if it ever went missing he'd come back for it. And he did...

Enter, Undead Pirate Captain.

Guest Champsguy

A pirate obsessed with booty... .

So, he's a butt pirate, then?

or maybe

Arrgh, Jennifer Lopez will be mine!

Lots of good ideas here, thanks everyone :)

One of my PCs has Mind Control, and is convinced it's completely useless at a 45 point cap -- mind you, so far every single time she's used it she's deliberately tried to override Strong Psych Lims :stupid: . I may have to do Press Gang just to show her how to use the power.

Supreme Serpent, you're right, it's a more lighthearted game. It's early 1939, but I could probably bump development of the Corsair up a bit. Jolly Roger might make a better name for the team leader anyway.

Given that the player who spent the entire "War Of The Worlds" invasion arc trying to steal a Martian Tripod (from either the Martians or the US government, he didn't care) left due to time conflicts, it should be safe to give most of the pirates a magic item to allow water breathing and improved swimming. "Mermaid" just doesn't cut it as a pirate name, IMO.

This guy... Kap'n Kraken. Art by yours truly... published in Foes of Freedom from Green Ronin.

http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/images/artfiles/CaptKrakenLoRes.jpg

That would be a great Illithid villain for a D20 steam-punk campaign. Or even just a sea-faring campaign set in Greyhawk. ;)

Mags

PS: I want that miniature!

Man o' War- power armor guy

Anchor- could be another brick, or maybe a cyborg/android one

Shanghai-kung fu expert pirate (AKA the baddest man in all of Geekdom ;) )

The Ancient Mariner- even a pirate crew could use an immortal wizard type

Back to the amphibian idea- "Moby" Dick and "Manta" Ray. Mutant twin brothers with gills (like Kevin Costner in that pitiful movie Waterworld)

Captain Merrill Stubing

Doctor Adam Bricker

Yeoman-Purser Burl 'Gopher' Smith

Bartender Isaac Washington

Cruise Director Julie McCoy

Vicki Stubing

It's the cast of the Love Boat! Make them undead, and ph34r.

:P :p :P :p :P :p