O.m.a.c.

shaunclinton

Has anyone been reading this series? If so then how long has this thing supposedly been running for, recalling that the events that inspired it are supposed to have happened some time ago.

And if it has been running for any length of time...

A) Why hasn't Batman used it when looking for people?

B) Why hasn't it gotten involved in any rogue supers activity?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: O.m.a.c.

It just seems like the most ridiculous thing ever. Okay, so Batman's a super-genius. Okay, so they've recently given him more and more abilities in the scientific fields that he didn't used to have. But c'mon... Batman isn't about super-satellites and guys that turn into glowing blue neutralising machines!!! What is it all about, it's sooooo poorly thought out. Although I am kinda enjoying it!

All I know is that Batman is responsible for the death of Blue Beetle. He and the Martian Manhunter are the ones who let the poor beggar go get killed investigating something blindingly important 'cause they were busy doing other stuff. Wonder Woman is also not exactty trying too hard, but I'll let her slide 'cause she's all crazy having blinded herself recently.

I believe OMAC stand for One Man Army Corps. It's a killer robot designed to take out metas using intel gathered by Batman and his super spy satelite, Brother Eye. The intel was stolen from Batman and is being used by Maxwell Lord and an organization named Checkmate.

Looks like the Bat's paranoia is going to split the DCU in half...

[EDIT: I reserve the right to be wrong about everythign I just wrote. I've only read Countdown and OMAC Project Issue #1. Issue #2 doesn't hit stands until Wednesday and I've been avioding spoilers.]

I believe OMAC stand for One Man Army Corps. It's a killer robot designed to take out metas using intel gathered by Batman and his super spy satelite, Brother Eye. The intel was stolen from Batman and is being used by Maxwell Lord and an organization named Checkmate.

[EDIT: I reserve the right to be wrong about everythign I just wrote. I've only read Countdown and OMAC Project Issue #1. Issue #2 doesn't hit stands until Wednesday and I've been avioding spoilers.]

Thanks!

DC has been writing Batman as being paranoid since the late 80s early 90s (if not before). In JLA (Tower of Babel I belive), they had it were Ras Al Gul stole Batman's plans to take down the JLA (Just in case).

This has carried on and if you look at the Superman run that Jim just finished doing the artwork you'll see mention of a program to create super-soldiers, supposedly the forerunner to OMAC, and Superman even confront Batman about some of it.

Checkmate is a group of secret agents in the DC universe. Everything from taking down drug runs to space shuttle sabatage they handle. They had their own series in the early 90s and have taken the back seat in the "normal" DC universe.

OMAC was a creation of Jack Kirby. If you want to read a really good story with him & brother eye in it either go check the Kirby series or John Byrne's 4 issue b/w series. Kirby's backstory is completely different then what DC is feeding everyone right now.

After what we found out in Identity Crisis, can we call it paranoia anymore?

OMAC means One Man Army Corps. OMAC was a super soldier who worled with the UN after WWIII to help keep the peace. He may or may not have been either the son or father of Kamandi, the last boy on Earth. He may or may not have had an alter ego of a young boy, similar to that of Captain Marvel. I no longer remember what I remember or what I dreamed when I filled in the blanks.

OMAC means One Man Army Corps. OMAC was a super soldier who worled with the UN after WWIII to help keep the peace. He may or may not have been either the son or father of Kamandi' date=' the last boy on Earth. He may or may not have had an alter ego of a young boy, similar to that of Captain Marvel. I no longer remember what I remember or what I dreamed when I filled in the blanks.[/quote']

IIRC he was Kamandi's grandfather. He did have an alter ego, Buddy Blank who was tranformed (through "molecular surgery") into OMAC by Brother Eye.

yeah it kind of sucked 80 pages of Ted Kord being treated like the smart capable relentless super hero he really is instead of the comic relief and they end it by offing him gang land style. The Blue Beetle gets no respect, he should come back as the new spectre and deliver some vengeance to the DC writing staff.

For my 2 cents...

I found Identity Crisis to be AMAZING...

Countdown to infinity was just plain awesome...(yeah, BB should get more dues, but still...thats what HAPPENS to nosey batman types when they snoop...just waiting for it to happen to bats =P)

Villians united, Rann-thangarr wars, and OMAC a bit less so...but I have hope.

All that has been release about the Infinity Crisis is it will be the "worst moment in the DC universe..."

Im horribly excited about it all....

Even though all the recent stuff has been well-written, neither Brother Eye or the magic mindwipe thing really fit Batman at all. Both have become too involved in his backstory.

Also, with "Tower Of Babel" and "War Games", the whole "Batman's toys falling into the wrong hands" angle has been played up too much.

Really don't like the idea of Batman having this much blood on his hands.

The problem is writers sacrificing believability in order to have this "BIG EVENT". Bats is paranoid and I can easily see him building and funding the project, but he would have taken steps to secure it long ago. I can't imagine any of these capabilities being accessible to anyone but him and ANY attempts to compromise his control or security protocols should have raised all kinds of alarms. Don't you think President Luthor :sick: would have a field day with this info? Also DC is about to go into X-book territory because the big anti-meta conspiracy will be making attacks on the heros before doing a thing about the rampant villains.

Luthor as president at the same time that the Black King was in charge. Could there be a connection with some of Luthor's schemes and Black King's agenda?

Like maybe BK pushed Jean Loring into becoming truly evil and derranged instead of her traditional insanity?

Or having Luthor go nuts without maintaining funds he can use after his presidency?

All of which can be the ulterior motive of Luthor in Villains United.

The thing for me is that everyone has called Batman overly paranoid for years. He plans too much, he wants to figure out how to take out his allies, he's a bad man for planning against his friends...

The one thing I liked about Identity Crisis is that it gave a pretty plausible (for comics anyway) reason for the Bat to be THAT paranoid and to have contingency plans against any/everyone.

The one thing I seriously took away from IC was that he did have a reason. Doc Light knew something was wrong, and he was basically lobotomized. The bat, who just lost some time, surely must have had something niggling in the back of his head for years that kept saying "You can't trust them...."

In fact, my first comment after reading IC was to say "Well, I guess the JLA should collectively take a long walk off a short pier over the whole Tower of Babel thing eh?"

As to Blue beetle...this looks like a seriously missed opportunity to me. I mean, the whole thing that kept him from getting "respect" was that he was Batman-lite in the physical realm. Okay, give him the amulet, slap some powers on him and give him the physical prowess he nedded to back up his mental capabilities.

But it seems that when DC doesn't know what to do with a character, but they know people still have a fondness for them, well, kill 'em off and let them be the spectre for a while. Yuck.

Still, I haven't winced near as much as I did through the Avengers disassembled arc...

Waitaminute...?

Wonder Woman is blind?

Blue Beetle is dead!?

This is Batman's fault??!!

God almighty, I can't keep up with the storylines in comics anymore. Level with me guys; do I need to go out and buy everything with "Countdown to whatever Crisis" to follow this thing, or can I get away with just buying one or two series in the arc? I mean, I love my comics, and I crave my stories, but there is no way I'm quitting smoking just so I can follow the downfall of the DC Universe... well... maybe I could cut back a bit.