What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Queen + Paul Rodgers -- Live in Ukraine. In a word, awesome music, includes live cuts from Queen+PR studio album.

(posting as I reckon it will interest Enforcer84)

My "box set" included 2cds and DVD, packaged like a DVD, found it in the music video section.

So radio is STILL worth listening to?

Not radio per se. It's streamed from my Cable TV connection (although we do have a classical station in Portland that isn't bad). I still wish there were occasional broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera, though -- public TV hasn't aired opera for nearly a decade now.

More Ma: the Sarabande from Bach's Cello Suite no. 1.

I saw Yo-Yo Ma perform in recital in the early 1980's, when we had no idea he would be the greatest cellist of his generation (and one of the greatest classical musicians) -- but I will never forget that recital. We had seats up close at what is now Keller Auditorium in Portland. The rapt concentration on his face and the sweat that poured down over his entire body left an indelible impression -- at the same time looking effortless and yet so intensely focused on his playing.

You get a glimpse of that in this clip, which is from a series of films Ma did on Bach's inspiring effects on artists of several different disciplines. This one is architecture -- the construction and planting of a ceremonial garden.

Ma's 2010 Portland concert, organized by the Oregon Symphony, sold out literally instantly as soon as tickets became available.