What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I received the Stargate: 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition from La La Land Records Friday, and it includes 110 minutes of music on the two discs. It's a beautiful upgrade to the Deluxe edition. It's limited to 3000 units, and the best place to get it is the La La Land Records website, for those who are interested: https://lalalandrecords.com/stargate-25th-anniversary-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

On 6/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, Ternaugh said:

I received the Stargate: 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition from La La Land Records Friday, and it includes 110 minutes of music on the two discs. It's a beautiful upgrade to the Deluxe edition. It's limited to 3000 units, and the best place to get it is the La La Land Records website, for those who are interested: https://lalalandrecords.com/stargate-25th-anniversary-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

When Stargate came out, RPG designer Richard Tucholka (Tri-Tac Games) had been publishing an RPG about dimensional travel throough gates like that for about ten years. You may remember Fringeworthy.  There were so many siilarities, in fact, that Tucholka was convinced he had been plagiarized and his idea had been stolen by an unscrupulous studio.

Now scrupulous studios are difficult to find, so I wouldn't put it past them to re-engineer the setting and forego paying any royalties to Tucholka. Maybe someone else who knows how this ended can fill in the blank.

When this was in the theaters, I watched it and thought "This is Fringeworthy". And that Tucholka, who also gave the world Bureau 13; Stalking the Night Fantastic, had reason to be ticked off at Hollywood. Of the four major game releases for TT, the only one I can think of that doesn't resemble a Hollywood proerty that came out later is Incursion, which is my favorite and would make a fantastic TV series ("Relative Position of Earth: UNKNOWN...")

The unpleasant irony is that the licensed RPG for Stargate SG-1 probably made a lot more sales during its run than Fringeworthy did in its.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

When Stargate came out, RPG designer Richard Tucholka (Tri-Tac Games) had been publishing an RPG about dimensional travel throough gates like that for about ten years. You may remember Fringeworthy.  There were so many siilarities, in fact, that Tucholka was convinced he had been plagiarized and his idea had been stolen by an unscrupulous studio.

Now scrupulous studios are difficult to find, so I wouldn't put it past them to re-engineer the setting and forego paying any royalties to Tucholka. Maybe someone else who knows how this ended can fill in the blank.

When this was in the theaters, I watched it and thought "This is Fringeworthy". And that Tucholka, who also gave the world Bureau 13; Stalking the Night Fantastic, had reason to be ticked off at Hollywood. Of the four major game releases for TT, the only one I can think of that doesn't resemble a Hollywood proerty that came out later is Incursion, which is my favorite and would make a fantastic TV series ("Relative Position of Earth: UNKNOWN...")

The unpleasant irony is that the licensed RPG for Stargate SG-1 probably made a lot more sales during its run than Fringeworthy did in its.

I don't remember it, but I've got a bunch of notes from the mid-80s for a "Star Gate"-based setting for Hero, that would have involved travel to various worlds. It was inspired by a few TV shows which used similar motifs, like The Fantastic Journey (with various "Time Zones" on a mysterious island in the Bermuda Triangle) and Land of the Lost (with the dimensional portals controlled by the Pylons). Now, I don't think that anyone saw my notes and then decided to clone it into a major motion picture, or even an RPG. I just figure that there's a lot of folks who have been inspired by a bunch of SF tropes.

As for Stargate, the basic conceit was more of an ancient aliens abduct humans from earth story, and the creators have credited works like Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods? for inspiration.

As for the music, it's one of my favorite soundtracks.