Build your own "New Avengers"!

ParitySoul

Re: Build your own "New Avengers"!

I was thinking on this (again) last night. I have too many 'favorites'

So my Legion of Avengers....

Captain Mar-Vell (the orginal, not his "son") back from the dead.

Giant Man (Bill Foster)

Yellow Jacket (Pym)

Wasp

Vision

Scarlett Witch

Thor

Captain America

Wonderman (and he has to be in the black costume with the red jacket)

Beast

Warbird

Hawkeye

Ironman

classics, a new face, someone who should have been in the team, and good personality conflicts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I needed to bring in a new Avenger' date=' I'd resurrect [i']Charcoal, the Burning Man[/i], make him adult, and toss him in. Killing Charlie was such a waste.
Killed? He wasn't killed; he was just shattered in to a bajillion pieces. He'll be back when some writer wants him to be.

my new avengers would have

representing the mutant contingent

Nightcrawler(with swords) perfect for the high mobility agent smooshing action

Kitty Pryde and Lockheed, stealth infiltration science skills and martial arts plus a dragon what more do you want plus she makes a mean Mojito.

plain vanilla humans

hawk eye always a handy guy to have a round and I'm sure he and Kurt Wagner oudl get along with there similar backgrounds.

iron man providing finances and heavy hitting flexibility not to mention technical genius to the team.

Aliens

Photon formerly captain marvel hes nifty looks cool hits hard and has cosmic awareness.

Beta ray bill (reserve) just incase Thor is busy

mystical

Thor because there is only one reply to the avengers without Thor "I SAY THEE NAY!!!"

Finally captain America to lead or maybe just to mix it up Union Jack for international flavour

oh and the team needs a darn medic of some description but I'm having trouble thinking of non mutant healers.

You know, I like Luke Cage as a character--especially now that they have brought him up to date and cut down on the bad dialogue. I really like what Bendis has been doing with him recently. However, he has no business in the Avengers. He is a great street-level character. Part of the hook of the character is that he is not your standard brick, and he really doesn't fit that role well. He is strong and tough, but his street savy and detective skills are more part of the character. I would never expect him to be involved in cosmic or even save-the-Earth plots. Just my $0.02.

Wolverine is also a poor choice for the Avengers. Though he did save the world on a regular basis with the X-Men, he served a purpose there that has been forgotten now that he is so popular. He plays the role with them that Batman plays in the Justice League.

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

Hawkeye

Wasp

Beast (pre Beauty and the Beast look)

Vision

I would go WEIRD try to make it something interesting

Captain America is the Backbone of Avengers

Rogue, other then Xmen related titles you dont see here. I would love to see what she can do outside of the Xmen

Vision, this was just talked about on another forum. Vision and Rogue having some type of Relationship. Since she is not with Gambit anymore it would be great.

Hercules, I loved it when he was on the Avengers. Plus it brings in the whole Olympian (SP?) crowd of villians. Like Hadez which I would love to see more of him in comics.

Wasp, always great to have on the team. As long as she doesnt grow any more.

Human Torch, hot head wanting to stretch his legs.

Wonderman, can bring the Grim Reaper in.

Why not it would be interesting twist for a change.

Personally' date=' I'd love to see a chunk of the Malibu-verse characters show up in Marvel mainstream ... for that matter, I'd alsot like to see some New Universe characters as well (which we'll at least see in the next Exiles run :D)[/quote']

Ummm as far as New Universe, it's happened. Quazar's Girlfriend is the current StarBrand and the New Universe Earth is floating out there in "earth space" behind a field that keeps it isolated.

I'm assuming a.) that anyone connected to a still active team will stay there and not join up with the Avengers and that b.) the Avengers are The big league, A list of the marvelvers.

Team Leader: Captain America for the experience and prescence

Bricks: you'll need heavy hitters so I'll say choose from Sasquatch, and or Doc sampson-both smart bricks or Juggernaut who can have someone else think for him.

Long Range fire: choose from Quasar who has power and versatility, Captain Marvel/Photon has power like a Galactus herald, and Silver Surfer cause he is definetly A list power.

Mentalist/ Mystic: Doctor Strange is my first choice for the combination of power and versatility but he's always being called away. How many more mentalists are there?

Recon and info gathering: Captain Marvell/Photon both the energy elemental and the Kree

Exotic Wildcards: The Vision, Nocturne, Darkstar, Cloak, Warbird, quicksilver or Northstar.

And Hawkeye, because I like archers and the team needs someone with a personality.

One thing about the Avengers, they have always been an interesting mix of the Most Powerful Marvel guys and the not so powerful

Thor, IronMan, Vision, Photon, Hulk, Hercules, Gilgamesh, Sersi, Wonderman, etc

Captain America (not a world beater, but simply the best, he get's his own category)

at the other end of the spectrum:

Hawkeye, Falcon, The Many Faces of Hank Pym, Wasp, Mocking Bird, etc.

I've always liked that.

Before I even try to answer this question, as someone who isn't a great fan of the Avengers (not that I dislike them, I just never really got around to collecting them), here is my question:

Summarize the Avengers in as few sentances as possible. What makes the Avengers distinct from every other team, what their niche is in the Marvel Universe, what criteria should be used as a filtering/weeding mechanism. Who is "Avengers material" and who isn't and why?

There are two ways to answer that.

The Meta-Story reason: "DC's best selling mag has the heroes with their own titles teamed up. Do the same thing with our heroes with their own titles."

The Story reason: This is the Best of the Best, The Big Leagues, The Show. If you try out for the Avengers and make it, you are Respected. Not only for your powers, but your integrity, and your heart. It's like being given a seat at Arthur's Round Table. Governments give a lot of cooperation, but ask for a lot of supervision. You are in the public eye. Screw up and you will never live it down, but as long as the rest trust you to have their backs, someone will allways have yours.

Pff. If Marvel doesn't let a little metaphysics get in the way of their storylines, why should we? ;)

'Course, we could demand that you include a sentence or two about how said hero or heroine came back... :D

Lonewalker

"She/he got better!"

The Story reason: This is the Best of the Best, The Big Leagues, The Show. If you try out for the Avengers and make it, you are Respected. Not only for your powers, but your integrity, and your heart. It's like being given a seat at Arthur's Round Table. Governments give a lot of cooperation, but ask for a lot of supervision. You are in the public eye. Screw up and you will never live it down, but as long as the rest trust you to have their backs, someone will allways have yours.

I need to see if I can rep you for that.

It pretty much sums up what Captain America turned the Avengers into, sure, he came in a bit late (issue #4) but he gave the Avengers what they really needed: A Vision and Focus of what they could and should be. While the Fantastic Four are mix between family and celebrities, and guys like the X-Men had to work in the shadow, the Avengers stood boldly in the sunlight. Like men seeking redemption on crusades of old, just being an Avenger as a chance to better yourself, to step from the shadows and into the light reborn. It is a baptism of fire that any hero can take, if he's brave enough. The Avengers have been Marvel's best not because they are the 'Mightiest' (No matter what the logo said) but because they were willing to take on that burden, to step into the circle and be counted.

Or to quote old willy...

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

There are other teams that this has applied to, but the Avengers seem to exemplify it best in the Marvel Universe. If DC's Justice League is a pantheon, the Avengers are a Knighthood, in the best sense of the word... when they're done right.

For all the griping this is something I'm curious about. Lets say the only character you 'have' to have in the Avengers is Rick Jones. Let say' date=' he's having another cosmic moment and he needs to make a new modern team. Who would you put in the line up?[/quote']

Start with Rick himself. Then the Three heroes he has sidkicked for in the past.

Captain Marvel (either, but not both)

Captain America

Hulk

Want a tech wizard, lets go with Iron Man.

So that calls for a real Wizard, Scaret Witch.

Want to limit it to Seven, only one female so far, need another powerful woman. Monica Rambeau, Moondragon, She-Huik, all good, But think I'm going with the Eternal Sersi.

I must admit that I would find the Pym Force mentioned above VERY amusing for a one shot

Hank Pym, Scientific Adventurer (Leader)

Wasp (Second in command)

Ant-Man (Scott Lang)

Giant-Man (Bill Foster)

Goliath (Eric something, calls himself Atlas now)

Yellowjacket (Rita Dematis)

Some story about the Pym particles obviously, maybe it has been raising people from the dead?

Serious team

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Hawkeye

Quasar

Dr Druid (Young version who lead the Secret Defenders)

Spider-Man

Scarlet Witch

Support a unit of Guardsman stationed at Avengers Mansion

Some thoughts on New Avenger teams.

Street Avengers

The Falcon (Chair Man)

Luke Cage

Iron Fist

Paladin

Black Widow

Hawkeye

Jim Rhodes (Technical Advisor or Armored Hero)

Triathalon

Avenger's Probation Team

Taking the example of the 2nd Roster of the Avengers including

Wanda and Quicksilver former Villians and The Thunderbolts.

Perhaps keep them Thunderbolts but associated with the Avengers

Maybe throw in a little bit of the Suicide Squad by forcing Villians as part of their sentence to work with the team. Perhaps they have security Collars or some way to keep them in check besides other team members.

Black Knight

Song Bird (Chair Woman)

Mach 5

Atlas

Speed Demon

Whirl Wind

Silver Samurai

The Super Skull (Yeah, Why not. Could be interesting and he may not ultimately be a hero. A Hero only in Protest)

The Champions (A.K.A. West Coast Avengers)

Dazzler

Long Shot

Hercules

Hellcat

Justice

Ms. Marvel (Chair Woman)

Nova

Avengers Prime (A.K.A. The Big Guns)

Captain America (Chairman)

Thor

Iron Man

Quick Silver

Quasar

Yellow Jacket

Wasp

Vision

Wonder Man

I need to see if I can rep you for that.

My goodness. I need to dig up some rep again :)

I've done that for both of them for you. (Well, and for me, too, I guess.)

As some might know, I'm not a big Marvel fan and not really up to date with who's who any more. In my own opinion, I wouldn't use anyone who has their own title, simply because it bugs me when a person has several solo titles along with group titles and they're supposedly do different things in different places at the same time (that really annoyed me with Batman and his bundle of various comics he was in at once). So, for those that don't have their own title, I really can think of only two: Juggernaut and She-Hulk (though the latter may still have an active title).

The next step I'd do is have Captain America be team leader with Hawkeye as second in command. These two shape the team for a year and then let them pull their own weight.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks! That's a lotta rep for just posting a link, I feel like I cheated or something. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm thinking about the team from a different perspective - Avengers villains. They've had a fair number of villains that are really linked to members as well as the Avengers as a whole, that I'd hate to see disappear: Ultron, the evil Asgardians and their Wrecking Crew pawns, the Red Skull... that whole mess with Wonder Man. Just for Ultron's sake, I'd want to keep Pym and the Vision on the team. And I admit to nostalgia for the period when I was reading the book, and a desire to see the Avengers as the A team, power-wise. So:

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor (or see below)

Hank Pym, in whatever incarnation; maybe the Wasp

Vision (the density-changing synthezoid, not some computer program)

then to mix it up:

Rogue's a good choice (with Ms Marvel powers, dunno if she still has 'em. And does her power only work on mutants, or anybody? That boyfriend she killed was human)

Juggernaut or She-Hulk would be fun, but we're already brick-heavy... I like Juggie's powers more, and his whole blue-collar thing would be fun to play with. Not to mention the ex-villain thing.

Scarlet Witch fits my "tied in villains" criterion, the team needs a wild card power/mystic, and I guess she would be around if the Vision was the way he ought to be - but I've never seen her powers used consistently so I just don't like the character much.

Maybe replace Thor with a more mystic-oriented Asgardian.

Northstar is a Quicksilver who flies (right down to the obnoxious attitude - what is it about Marvel speedsters?), plus he's gay. I haven't read about him since he was supposedly an elf, but damn I'd love to see him interact with Thor. And I want a 'mo among Earth's Mightiest Mortals. Sue me. :)

So...

Cap

Iron Man

Thor, and/or

Some mystic-ier Asgardian (preferably female, to round things out)

Hank Pym

Vision

Rogue

Juggernaut

Northstar

*completely throwing all rule books, unwritten rules, and significant bits of past continuity to the wind*

Long-time Avengers retained, aka "The Core":

Captain America

Tony Stark

Thor

People who really should get back to the fold:

Professor Hulk

The One Really Good Idea That The "New Avengers" Comic Had:

Spider-Man

Wanda Done Gone Crazy, So Where Do We Find The Magical Support?

Doctor Strange

Screw the X-Title Wall of Separation, We're Poaching 'Em Anyway:

Kitty Pryde

Rachel Summers

There you have it. Experience, long-time Avengers tradition, fresh-faced newness, cosmic power, great skill, guaranteed fun character interaction (consider the idea of Doctor Strange mentoring the current host(*) of the Phoenix force re: "cosmic power, adjustment to", or the potentials of a Kitty/Professor Hulk dynamic), and a line-up truly worthy of being called "Earth's Mightiest Heroes".

Not to mention that the next Spidey tries to angst about how he gets bad press, or how the Hulk feels about having a primal force of destruction buried latent in his head... the two young mutant ladies can trump them. Bigtime. :)

(*) Haven't read X-titles recently -- if they changed Rachel's status /again/, well, meh.

Long-time Avengers retained, aka "The Core":

Captain America

Tony Stark

Thor

People who really should get back to the fold:

Professor Hulk

The One Really Good Idea That The "New Avengers" Comic Had:

Spider-Man

Wanda Done Gone Crazy, So Where Do We Find The Magical Support?

Doctor Strange

Screw the X-Title Wall of Separation, We're Poaching 'Em Anyway:

Kitty Pryde

Rachel Summers

There you have it. Experience, long-time Avengers tradition, fresh-faced newness, cosmic power, great skill, guaranteed fun character interaction (consider the idea of Doctor Strange mentoring the current host(*) of the Phoenix force re: "cosmic power, adjustment to", or the potentials of a Kitty/Professor Hulk dynamic), and a line-up truly worthy of being called "Earth's Mightiest Heroes".

Not to mention that the next Spidey tries to angst about how he gets bad press, or how the Hulk feels about having a primal force of destruction buried latent in his head... the two young mutant ladies can trump them. Bigtime. :)

I had always thought that the "smart" Hulk should've joined the Avengers ... I think he would've made an interesting character, especially with the attitude that he had ;)

(*) Haven't read X-titles recently -- if they changed Rachel's status /again/, well, meh.

Last that I knew, she's a mentalist ... though she went through a stint as a dinosaur, and may have problems coming up in the storyline "End of Greys"

• 3 weeks later...

Iron Man

Captain America

Thor

Vison

Scarlet Witch

Quicksilver

Beast

Wonderman

(they were Blue Beetle and Booster Gold before there was a BB & BG)

Yellow Jacket

Wasp

Ms Marvel

Rick Jones

and Jarvis of course

That's the Dream Team

Galactus (every super-team needs a brick)

Impossible Man (I just like this guy. Anyone who invites Galactus to devour his planet to releave the boredom, and then lets him do it, is cool in my book. He's the ultimate bendy-toy/comic relief character, and totally pwnz Morph...)

Wolverine (I'd probably have Galactus beat him up, so I can highlight how powerful Galactus is. It might be kind of hard for me to justify a fight between Galactus and Wolverine, so I'll fudge things a little, by making Wolverine a total jerk who insults Galactus' former Universe, and pisses him off enough to really cut loose on Logan.)

Luke Cage (Just as a secondary brick, for when Galactus looses agro...)

Captain X-Treme (Because it's not the Avengers without good ol' Cap'! I'd totally retcon him, by saying that the Captain America we'll all know is actually a clone of the real Captain America, now called Captain X-Treme, who was turned into a vampire, while he was in Eastern Europe during WWII. My version of Cap' would be totally dark and x-treme to the max. He's going to beat-up Wolverine, too...)

Rogue (I had a hard time figuring out who the best T&A Marvel chick was to put in the team. In the end, I had to take Rogue. She'd got that super sexed up, but never saticefied thing going on, which rawks my world. Plus, being bullet proof, I can blow-off most of here outfit in every issue, like Image did for that chick in GEN-13. Man, that GEN-13 chick was smoken hot! What was her name? I guess it doesn't matter... awesome character concept, though. Total genius. An impossible romance between Rogue and Galactus would probably keep the readers coming back for more...)

This was the funniest sh!t I have read in ages. Rock on with your bad self!

....just as long as it's clear you weren't serious.

• 7 months later...