Build your own "New Avengers"!

ParitySoul

For all the griping this is something I'm curious about. Lets say the only character you 'have' to have in the Avengers is Rick Jones. Let say, he's having another cosmic moment and he needs to make a new modern team. Who would you put in the line up?

(Thinking up my own as we speak!)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Build your own "New Avengers"!

How about:

Captain America

Hawkeye

Giant Man

Wasp

Captain Marvel

Yellowjacket

Songbird

Wait, they did that one already ...

Or are going to do that one. ^^ (Funny thing is...we don't know who was in the team when Capt. Marvel and Songbird technically were members...or will be members. )

Damn, still screws with my head.

For the Avengers? In a campaign I've been playing with, they currently have this roster:

Storm (chairwoman)

Hawkeye

Quicksilver

Captain Marvel (Genis)

Firestar

Tigra

Nova

Hercules

Goliath II/Black Goliath

Crystal (On-Call)

Captain America (On-Call)

Ant-Man II (On-Call)

Vision (Support Staff/On-Call)

Here's my choice for an Avengers team. I'm more interested in some of the "second tier" characters than the big heavyweights that have their own books.

(I stopped collecting Marvel after Heroes Reborn so forgive me if some of these folks have disappeared)

Wasp (team leader)

Photon

Black Panther

Spider Woman II (sorry, Jessica Drew fans)

Quicksilver

Nova (aren't the New Warriors the official triple-A team of the Avengers?)

Rick Jones (do I really have to take him?)

I think that would be a fun team to follow.

Oh, and I'd reserve slots for the most important Avengers ever: Roy Thomas, John Buscema (RIP) and Tom Palmer.

My take on the matter...

Captain America (it's just not the Avengers without Cap behind the wheel) :thumbup:

Iron Man (he's got camaraderie with Cap and he is THE iconic powered armor character)

Thor (the big guy - dude's got style) :rockon:

Hawkeye (because I like archers and I like him best of all)

Vision (he's classic and he's versatile)

Scarlet Witch (most interesting mystic ever on the roster)

Wasp (especially with the dual size shifting abilities)

Tigra (every team needs a feral type and this one fills out the honey quota nicely) :winkgrin:

Optionals:

Wonder Man (cool character but my current roster has bricks a plenty already)

Quicksilver (he always seemed a bit less arrogant with the Avengers than with the X-teams)

There you go. My takes and my rationale.

(I'm surprised Bill hasn't popped in on this thread...he's always had very specific ideas on which Avengers he liked best...) :)

Lonewalker

Before I even try to answer this question, as someone who isn't a great fan of the Avengers (not that I dislike them, I just never really got around to collecting them), here is my question:

Summarize the Avengers in as few sentances as possible. What makes the Avengers distinct from every other team, what their niche is in the Marvel Universe, what criteria should be used as a filtering/weeding mechanism. Who is "Avengers material" and who isn't and why?

Galactus (every super-team needs a brick)

Impossible Man (I just like this guy. Anyone who invites Galactus to devour his planet to releave the boredom, and then lets him do it, is cool in my book. He's the ultimate bendy-toy/comic relief character, and totally pwnz Morph...)

Wolverine (I'd probably have Galactus beat him up, so I can highlight how powerful Galactus is. It might be kind of hard for me to justify a fight between Galactus and Wolverine, so I'll fudge things a little, by making Wolverine a total jerk who insults Galactus' former Universe, and pisses him off enough to really cut loose on Logan.)

Luke Cage (Just as a secondary brick, for when Galactus looses agro...)

Captain X-Treme (Because it's not the Avengers without good ol' Cap'! I'd totally retcon him, by saying that the Captain America we'll all know is actually a clone of the real Captain America, now called Captain X-Treme, who was turned into a vampire, while he was in Eastern Europe during WWII. My version of Cap' would be totally dark and x-treme to the max. He's going to beat-up Wolverine, too...)

Rogue (I had a hard time figuring out who the best T&A Marvel chick was to put in the team. In the end, I had to take Rogue. She'd got that super sexed up, but never saticefied thing going on, which rawks my world. Plus, being bullet proof, I can blow-off most of here outfit in every issue, like Image did for that chick in GEN-13. Man, that GEN-13 chick was smoken hot! What was her name? I guess it doesn't matter... awesome character concept, though. Total genius. An impossible romance between Rogue and Galactus would probably keep the readers coming back for more...)

Okay, for interest's sake, let's try this combination:

Captain America

Prime

Hawkeye

Black Panther

Warbird

Clea

Photon

The Guardsman

and, serving in the Avenger as one of the terms of his cosmic probation...

The Super-Skrull!

We talking the Guardsman, guy in green Stark Created Armor?

and Prime from Malibu? Cool choices. Especially the Skrull.

We talking the Guardsman, guy in green Stark Created Armor?

and Prime from Malibu? Cool choices. Especially the Skrull.

Yep. IIRC, the Guardsman's essentially a cop, so he'd be the team's everyman.

And since the Malibu-Verse crossed over with Marvel, I imagine Prime's fair game (though Marvel's probably too cheap to pay royalties to the creators. :-))

And the Skrull has some really useful powers, serves as a springboard to a cosmic storyline, allows exploration of the Skrull culture, and is a real big wild card.

Should we allow little things like whose alive and whose not get in our way? I mean they don't normally let it stand in their way but I was just wondering....

Pff. If Marvel doesn't let a little metaphysics get in the way of their storylines, why should we? ;)

'Course, we could demand that you include a sentence or two about how said hero or heroine came back... :D

Lonewalker

Ant-Man

Giant Man

Goliath

Yellowjacket

or

Ant-Man (Scott Lang)

Black Goliath (Bill Foster)

Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)

Giant Man (Hank Pym)

Pym Force!

More seriously, my dream Avengers team would be:

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

(Wasp and the many-costumed Dr. Pym as reserve members)

Hawkeye

(Black Widow in reserve)

Vision

Scarlet Witch

(Wonder Man & Beast as reserve)

If I needed to bring in a new Avenger, I'd resurrect Charcoal, the Burning Man, make him adult, and toss him in. Killing Charlie was such a waste.

Assuming that we get anyone, regardless of death around....

Captain America

Iron Man

Scarlet Witch (with complete control of how powers and some training with Strange)

Hardcase*

Beast (preferably he "regresses" to the bouncy blue beast form")

Spider-man (I like him on the new team, and would play him with a bit more gravitas)

Hawkeye

Vision

Human Torch (on loan from the FF)

* someone else mentinoed Prime - and Marvel bought the Ultraverse characters so there is my oddity.

Personally, I'd love to see a chunk of the Malibu-verse characters show up in Marvel mainstream ... for that matter, I'd alsot like to see some New Universe characters as well (which we'll at least see in the next Exiles run :D)