• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Dialects baffle me sometimes. When I was in Saskatchewan (yeah, it's one of those 'road trip' stories) my van needed a new battery. Local guy says I can get one at the "Kwop store." I asked him to repeat the name twice, certain that I'd heard him wrong. I finally just decided to just ask him for directions, thinking whatever "Kwop" is, I'll figure it out when I get there.

Fortunately, his directions were intelligible, and minutes later I arrived at the local farmers' Co-Op... which is pronounced "kwop" in those parts, apparently.

Dialects baffle me sometimes. When I was in Saskatchewan (yeah' date=' it's one of those 'road trip' stories) my van needed a new battery. Local guy says I can get one at the "Kwop store." I asked him to repeat the name twice, certain that I'd heard him wrong. I finally just decided to just ask him for directions, thinking whatever "Kwop" is, I'll figure it out when I get there.[/quote']

Heh. I've just told an American colleague (who is also one of my irregular Hero players) a couple of Yorkshire jokes. He simply didn't understand them. The Brit sitting next to him chuckled. Our accent is sufficiently known in the UK that even southerners get it.

They were:

A Yorkshireman takes his cat to the vet. "Nah then, vitnary," he says. "Ah wants thee to tek a look at mi cat."

"Certainly," says the vet. "Is it a tom?"

"Nooa," says the Yorkshireman. "Ah've got it in t'basket reight 'ere."

A Yorkshireman suffering from piles goes to the chemist. "Has tha any o' that fancy arse cream?" he enquires.

"Aye," the chemist replies. "Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's?"

And the explanation: both hinge around Yorkshire pronunciation. "Is it a tom?" means, in Yorksher speyk, "Is is at home?" And "arse cream" is, of course, ice cream; this joke only really works in text, though, or to offcummed 'uns (people not from Yorkshire - it isn't their fault, we can't all be Yorkshire[*]) as we'd use a different intonation to make it clear whether we meant arse cream or ice cream.

[*] Old Yorkshire saying: Never ask a man if he's from Yorkshire. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you'll only shame him.

I've heard Canadians say they can tell tourists from natives by the way they pronounce "Toronto." Natives call it Tronno.

Similar to when I was in Oregon, natives say OR-igen, outsiders (and newscasters) say o-re-GAWN.

And now, a neat picture:

Street%2BArt%2BGraffiti.jpg

I always pronounce it Organ.

I've done I-5 Seattle -> San Diego (in stages), so almost the whole thing. Went I-15 Helena to Salt Lake, where we switched over to I-80. Done I-90 Seattle to Butte, and another occasion I-94 Billings to Milwaukee via Minneapolis. I would like to do all of I-15, all of I-80 would be cool, and I think it would be grueling but fun to do I-75 down from Canada to the end in Florida, then up I-95 all along the eastern coast. More likely is an on/off pass for Amtrak through the U.S.