• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Okay, I'm sure I'm missing something. Sure, it's funny, but I really hate not getting cultural references from my own culture. Somebody PM me the details you think I might be missing, huh?

And get offa my lawn!

For Sgt Baloo and everyone else who didn't get it: 'over 9000' refers to an internet meme drawn from the English dub of Dragon Ball Z. Specifically Vegita's surprise at Goku's power level as revealed by his scouter (the green lens over the cat's eye.)

For Sgt Baloo and everyone else who didn't get it: 'over 9000' refers to an internet meme drawn from the English dub of Dragon Ball Z. Specifically Vegita's surprise at Goku's power level as revealed by his scouter (the green lens over the cat's eye.)

Apparently, it was really over 8,000; the Japanese characters for 9,000 and 8,000 are very similiar - Or so I've heard.

And I noticed we'd just hit 9000 posts(!) worth of Neat Pictures, so it seemed appropriate.

Okay' date=' I recognize Thundar's Sun sword (being held between the index and middle fingers), He-Man's sword, Snake Eye's katana, The Thundercat's Sword of Omens. But what is the last sword?[/quote']

Link's sword from "Legend of Zelda".

Five_Swordsmen_of_the_Kick_Ass_by_wordmongerer.jpg

To give credit where due, the original uncoloured line art by Jake aka Inker-guy.

Also by wordmongerer (who did the colouring)

Captain America #1

Captain America #2

Supergirl

Thing

Dr Doom unmasked

Dark Phoenix

Also by by Jake aka Inker-guy

Thor

She-Hulk

Yoda vs Starkiller

Thing is, it doesn't belong there--unless there was a cartoon version of Zelda that used to play on weekday afternoons.

Admittedly I don't think there were any swords in Transformers, MASK, or Silverhawks.

I would have used Blackstar instead of Link. Very distinctive sword, and I never played Zelda :)

I would have used Blackstar instead of Link. Very distinctive sword' date=' and I never played Zelda :)[/quote']

story behind artwork:

I was listening to the Geek Out Loud podcast [link] the other day and the subject was the 80's. Man I loved growing up in the 80's. We had the best cartoons, clothes, and stuff (lawn darts anyone?).

Anywho it inspired me to take 5 of my favorite heros with swords back in the day and draw them. From left to right:

Thundarr the Barbarian

He-Man

Snake Eyes

Lion-O

Link ( I cheated with Link and used his Twilight Princess model)

I'm guessing he didn't watch Blackstar.

I always disliked "We have to fight before we're friends".

It's a cultural thing. We've all heard those "If X and Y fought, who would win?" arguments. They get tiresome. They're ESPECIALLY tiresome when you ARE X and Y. (And A thru Z, as well.)

So, whenever two superheroes meet for the first time, they've evolved an etiquette--they fight until they establish once and for all, that X beats Y, Y beats X, or it's a draw. Then, once the pecking order is established, they can relax and be friends and never have to bother with that whole stupid "what if" scenario again.