Players And the Strange things they do.

Enforcer84

So my regular GM wants to play. He wants to play Champions. There's a former HERO player and two(maybe three) newbies.

Here's the deal, my problem child (the GM) wants to create a sonic blaster ( I should point out that my newbies have played COH extensively so we're using the archetypes from COH to make it easier for them), and one of the powers he wanted to create was a bass wave so low that the average street thug would crap himself. We went with a PRE bonus and a transform "Clean Uniform to soild uniform" ...I can't wait...:rolleyes:

Re: Players And the Strange things they do.

and one of the powers he wanted to create was a bass wave so low that the average street thug would crap himself. We went with a PRE bonus and a transform "Clean Uniform to soild uniform" ...I can't wait...:rolleyes:

Let me guess, he watched the South Park Episode with "The Brown Noise"?

"So what does he look like?"

"It. Not 'he'. It."

(That's always a bad sign)

"Ok. What does IT look like."

"It's a green glowing sphere about the size of a bowling ball."

"Like in Heavy Metal."

"No, not like in Heavy Metal at all."

"Um, okay. So what does it do."

"It creates illusions so it can show you scenes."

"Does it roll across the battlefiled knocking folks down like bowling pins?"

"NO! It hovers in mid-air."

"Uh huh. Does it cast death beams that wither the targets?"

"I think so."

(Writing notes...) "One sphere from heavy metal."

After a few days in which he designs and then decides not to play the character (Becaue of me, most likely).

I kid you NOT. This is what happened next.

"I've got a different idea."

"Is it a sword-weilding girl who rides a flying beast."

(Pause)

(Player walks out)

When I told the story to a friend I played with at the time who was our GM much of the time, he guessed the same thing before I even got that far :)

Very puerile. When players want to make "joke powers" I remind them of this:

Once is funny

Twice is cute

Thrice is annoying

In other words, Powers like that are funny the first time, kind of ha-ha the second, and get increasingly lame thereafter.

Also, techically a Transform of that nature couldnt actually make a person lose control of their bowels; it could only transform their actual clothes into a "soiled" version of themselves, so its not even a very good model of the desired effect. A more correct version would be a Mind Control, which could force a target to void their bowels assuming they had something to void.

At any rate, this sort of thing wouldnt pass my "keep it clean" rule but good luck with that...just dont be dismayed when the campaign gets referred to as the "crap-o-matic" game or some variation thereof.

So my regular GM wants to play. He wants to play Champions. There's a former HERO player and two(maybe three) newbies.

On a more serious note, I'll chime in with Dr. A--unless you are doing a humorous campaign, simply tell the guy to work with you, like he wished PC's worked with him in his games, and change the power. Making a good example and 'leader' character to help along the new players, a simple build for a game that probably features basic heroes sounds like what you are needing.

If he's just needing a bit of zanyness after a long period of GM'ing, run a one shot of a TOON style Hero game for a general laugh.

All joking aside' date=' why didn't you simply disallow it? If it's going to be that much of a disruptor of the game (and it doesn't sound like he's taking his chance to play very seriously) why did you aid & abet him by helping design it?!? :confused:[/quote']

Partly to prove that I could. And mostly because he rarely get's a chance to cut loose. I'll let him play with it for a week or two. He's pretty easy going and I am too. We'll see. I think it's going to end up being mostly for laughs anyway.

Partly to prove that I could. And mostly because he rarely get's a chance to cut loose. I'll let him play with it for a week or two. He's pretty easy going and I am too. We'll see. I think it's going to end up being mostly for laughs anyway.

Then make sure to create (or grab) some more comedy-based NPCs. I happen to know, for example, there are a few lurking in the "Worst Sidekicks" thread... :sneaky:

In any case, the so-called "brown note" is a myth, and one that was inventively disproved on a recent episode of Myth Busters.

BUSTED

Did Myth Busters get a bunch of idiot teeangers/20Somethings, give them a crappy diet, have do a large number of drugs and stick them in a big room with flashing lights for a couple hours?

If not, I'm still open to debate.

And just because Myth Busters couldn't find the resonant frequency of your lower intenstines and muscles doesn't mean there isn't one.

Okay,

first off, let me say this:

I am, for the reasons others have set forth, and a few of my own, totally against this 'brown noise' power. I would probably choke on my own dice before I even allowed a one-shot 'power stunt' with such an effect....

But the mechanic in me has been playing with the Trifecta of Cobble all week long (been laid out with flu), and I can't help myself:

Desolidification: Usable as Attack; Sphincters Only.

That should do it.

Now go burn this image from your mind......

Mythbusters had a sound engineer build a surround-sound booth with hugongous speakers and had one of the Busters stand in it while he slid up and down the low and subsonic scales at extremely high volume. There was some "weird feeling" reported, but nothing approaching bowel (or bladder) control loss.

As far as using at as a power, I as GM would point out the silliness of the power and how it would probably spoil the mood for everyone else. If the player insisted, I'm soft enough I'd probably allow it, but the hero would achieve instant notoriety. Which means that baddies would figure out a way to stop it (or wear Depends, or just fast for a day before doing a job), and I would bet that criminal types would take very unkindly to someone who fought in such an unfair way - I mean, bouncing my bullets off your chest is one thing, or even filling my face with peer spray, but making me fill my pants in public just ain't manly. Teaming up, hiring big guns, etc. would all be fair game to some who fights by embarrassing rather than defeating his enemies.

Frankly, even the good guys would make this guy a laughingstock, from beat cops to other supers. I mean what's he gonna call himself, Captain Crapper? Doctor Doodoo? Number Two-Man? Seriously, nobody's going to pay attention to anything else he does once he displays this power.

I think that if I was the GM, I would have to respond with a team of Flying Monkeys.

You really wouldn't want to face a group of angry Flying Monkeys with diapers full of poop.

"Monkeys, prepare to fling!"

KA.

I think its a great idea. Can you imagine the master villian in the middle of his grand monologue suddenly crapping his pants.

Its one thing to be defeated buts its another to be humilated. The PC is going to get a very long list of villians that want to do more than kill him in a short time if he's not careful.

I just wouldn't allow the pc to use it too often as it would denigrate into a joke very quickly. But if its part of the characters personality I can't see why you would disallow it.

In any case, the so-called "brown note" is a myth, and one that was inventively disproved on a recent episode of Myth Busters.

BUSTED

We have unaided human flight, people who can lift buildings without destroying them, telekinesis and telepathy, but this is where we're going to draw the line on rubber science?

Frankly' date=' even the good guys would make this guy a laughingstock, from beat cops to other supers. I mean what's he gonna call himself, Captain Crapper? Doctor Doodoo? Number Two-Man?[/quote']

Count Dooku.

Low-frequency sounds are not as directional as higher-frequency ones (I think that is why subwoofers don't usually have a particular facing when installed, unlike the satellite speakers).

Better make sure he has Personal Immunity...