What was your first character like?

stitches

I'm a new player (so new that I haven't played yet...our first game is going to be sometime in the next couple weeks), and was just curious while reading some of the threads from the more experienced players as to what your first characters wer like: powers, personality, background, weaknesses, level of success....that sort of thing.

Anybody want to share?

ps. I apologize in advance if there's another thread floating around like this. I looked and didn't see one.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What was your first character like?

Hard to remember 25 or so years ago. I'm guessing my first Champions character wasn't that memorable (because I can remember my first V&V ones).

First one that I remember had growth and cold powers. Yep, you got it; A sort of Frost Giant. Cold blasts, Very high STR, and an axe. He was a scientist, so his INT was decent.

My GM helped me work the character out. I told him what I envisioned and we worked it out. Sunburst, a mutant Brick/Photokinetic (A 250pt. Superman Homage).

Later when I created my own character I created Cougar, a mutant Speedster/Martial Artist with Advanced Tech Body Armour. He wasn't very effective point wise, but he improved over time.

Bengal was my first experience with Package Deals. A Canadian Special Forces Soldier with a Advanced Energy Manipulation Harness (Missle Defelection & Reflection, Ranged, +5 OCV.) He later joined UNTIL and died, but was brought back by a PC in Episode 2 of my Champions of Vancouver Campaign.

Welcome to Hero System

QM

Tasmanian Devil.

Regenerating berserking death machine with *4* claws of unobtanium coming out of the back of each hand. They went "Snekt" when he popped them out and "Snokt" when they went back in. (Okay, I'm actually kidding about that bit, but the costume was darn similar) Yes, it was a sad time indeed.

On the other hand, my friend made "Slammer"

Speedster with a forcefield who ran through targets, was a raging alcoholic and whose wheelchair confined grandma used to show up at battles on a 14-, being helped around by VIPER, Nazis, etc.

Opps, for some reason I thought you were asking about our first ChAMPIONS character ;)

First character in any RPG period? A cleric named Ral Pal, a rather laid back servant of St. Cuthbert.

I can't remember exactly which V&V character was my first, but it may have been "Luv Bug" (What can I say, the rolls were random, and I got shrinking and Emotion control)

My first Marvel character of my own making? A guy named "Shadowlord" with darkforce powers.

Now I feel old.

First character...IIRC it was a 1st ed AD&D Cleric that ended up getting killed by my brother's Assassin character.

First Champions character....IIRC "The Exterminator" - going to wipe out crime! (not a killer though, despite the name). He was tough man...he had an 8d6 EB! :eek: He can like, blow holes in brick walls and stuff!

First character period? That would be, hmmm... I can't remember the name, but a TN fighter(random rolls... I ended up with 18/88 str, 16 Con, and 16 Dex, and nothing else below twelve in a 3d6, place as you go char gen.) In a 1st ed. D&D game... which was, and still remains one of the worst roleplaying experiences of my life. To this day, I despise random rolls. 6' 2", 18/88 Str... and I weighed 90lbs? (To give you an idea... The DM, right in the middle of the game, decided TN meant I had to roll to even see if I moved every attack round... and then a roll under my dex on d20 to see if I could use the two weapons, which is what he reccomended. Then stuck my and my sisters second level characters in a group... with two 15th level that had gobs of stuff.)

First Vampire(Notice, I'd STed about six WW games before this) character: August, a Gangrel from England, had extreme fear of crowds. (Hey, she used to roam the streets at night precisely because there wasn't crowds.) Had a ton of fun with her... though her fellow players tying her up in a train station was kind of mean.

First Champions character... Cyrande. Which is posted here. A ton of fun... and got me in fully with the rest of my current group, so it's all the good.

Hmmm. My first character ever was a level 16 wizard in AD&D. Some friends were playing a high level module and asked me to join in. It was kind of intimidating but it was enough for me to catch the bug.

My first Champions character was Jester. I had sat on the idea for about three years because I had tried to get into a marvel superheroes game but the guys playing really did not want me to join. So when I sat down with the GM I knew exactly what I wanted.

He was an energy projector that had no range on his power, a sort of bioelectrical energy. He had danger sense, which was him sending out a field of electrical particles that if anyone moved through would alert him to their presence. He had super leap, acrobatics and a bioelectrical forcefield. He had a last ditch attack as well, Jester could unleash all his energy at once in a devasting area effect attack but with a side effect of knocking him out for a few minutes and rendering him blind for about an hour.

Jester had two personalities. He was kind of in the incredible hulk vein along those lines. His non super persona was a different person than his hero persona. This was the result of an origin that had a demon split the character into three people. One pure, one slightly corrupted, and the other totally corrupted (Harlequin). His archenemy was Harlequin, the corrupted part of him that was not joined in the same body. Their powers canceled each other out and if they had to fight it was like trading blows in a bar room brawl.

He was fun to play and after two years of constant play I retired him, after finally defeating Harlequin.

First Character? AD&D. 1st level. Called Mean Norm the average ranger (his stat.s were pretty average). Could probably have been called Mean Norm the cowardly ranger, which is why he was one of the two survivors from that game. I cannot even begin to count the number of characters who died, but it was a few every week for a year (except on days when we really got trashed, in which case it might be 8 or 9 dead PCs :eek:)

First Hero system character? A high-energy physicist hit by an experiment gone wrong who gained powers over molecular structure: could become desolid, shrink, grow, become super-dense, etc. Was called Chronos. Had an embarrassing purple costume. Was a really terrible design. I didn't know about reduced END (atually I knew nothing about Hero system), so bought 36 REC, to cover the END use on his powers. I saw that DEX 10/SPD2 was human normal, and so bought 15 DEX and SPD3 so he'd be "fast". Spent a lot of time going "Hey guys, wait for me!" He was - even more embarrassing - the team's only brick, which meant we got beat up a lot. I liked the game anyway :D

cheers, Mark

First character ... wow. I doubt I can remember that far back.

Almost certainly a Tunnels and Trolls character. Good odds it was a Warrior Wizard, despite the fact you needed all six stats over 18 or something equally daft to get that :)

My first ever character was in Kult. I can't remember her name, her profession or what purpose she served in the game. All I remember is that the game dissolved after half the PCs joined a sex cult of some kind and RPed an orgy (not very well, I might add).

My first Champions character was Weather Girl. Her powers were based off the fact that she caused more friction (with the air and the ground) than normal people, so she had a constant static charge and the ability to manipulate the very air around her. She was fun, but angsty.

Umm, he's on the cover of Millennium City. (Yeah, I've been playing Dr. Silverback since 1982.) First Champs character, anyways. The first time I ever roleplayed I dropped in on an older cousin's D&D game and played a leprechaun familiar to somebody else's wizard. First recurring character was a halfling archer who was pretty much a coward and kept hiring other people to do dangerous things for him. As I recall, he died somewhere in Hommlet. dw

Even though I was playing AD&D about four years before Champions, I was always the DM so I never really had my own character. When I started playing Champions, I knew immediately what type of character I wanted. The result? Ghost Archer and I have been playing him for 23 years now. Over the years since then I have been very slow to develop new characters as I have to have a true feeling for what I want before I'll build it. Ghost Archer, Icehawk, Psion, Goliath, Probe, Tark tan ji and Blurr. That's about one new character every three years. You guys think I'm slow?

Opps' date=' for some reason I thought you were asking about our first ChAMPIONS character[/quote']Double oops! I thought so too.

My frist character of any kind was a 1st edition thief named Digby. He was the longest surviving member of a small band of adventurers (Each time someone else died they replaced them and the band kept going). As the last original, he died from two consecutive failed rolls: Detect traps (on a chest) and Save v. Death.

Don't think I gave him much of a personality.

First character ever? Well, if you discount the 1st Ed AD&D Wizard 18/Assassin 15 with the truly obscene stats (sweartaghad, I didn't know you had to roll for them!) and a familiar that turned into a buckler shield - WTF was I thinking?!?!? - it would be the CN thief with a 20 DEX and an 8 everything else (the DM let us shift points on a 2/1 or 3/1 basis). About the only thing he was good at was moving fast and avoiding combat - I once distracted an entire orc stronghold by running around it over and over and blowing a battle horn.

First HERO character? Okay, realize I was still learning the system...

A high-DEX flyer with a pair of collapsing battle staves (I was into staff fighting at the time) that I could use to block attacks at range (throw them and they'd spin in front of the attack). About the only personality he had was being a professional bodyguard. The "still learning the system" part comes in when you realize I thought you only did STUN damage with HA and EB; you needed HKA or RKA to do BODY. So each battle staff (I bought both seperately) had all four, so I could hit you in hand to hand and at range (and the ranged version was throwing the staff.

I should redo him....

My first Champions Character was built poorly. I sold back dex and speed to buy str and con. :D I didn't have a grasp of combat for a while

He was a brick who had a white and red costume and a jetbelt like Wonderman.

I think his name was Guardian.

Ok, first C anywhere was D&D, yeah the little brown book, Class/Race: Elf, Level: 4, then we went to D&D-1st Edition.

First V&V C: Alien, water based powers. I hated him because the GM wasn't all that good.

First Champion C: Firebird, a superspeedster with flame powers. He was cool even if the Gm was the same one that did the V&V game.

First Space Opera C: A Transhuman Psionic, think Level 2 Lensman.

First Star Trek C: Vulcan-Science Officer, 1st Officer-a Spock Homage.

Out of all of them the one I liked best was the Champion C, Firebird.