What was your first character like?

stitches

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What was your first character like?

First RPG character ever was from Deadlands. Texas Ranger Campbell. (he had a firdst name, but no one ever used it.) Fought in the Civil War, but when all the dead bodies at Gettysburg started getting back up:eek: , he went home and joined the Rangers, who where the Confederacy's version of the FBI. They where to search out all the weird crap going on, and kill the hell out of it all while not letting Joe Q Public no what was going on.

Died the first time sacrificing himself so that an evil preacher got nailed by a heavenly bolt o lightning. Ended up coming back from the dead with a demon possesing him, but he had enough will to fight off the demon and take control of his body*. Coninued fighting evil sons o *****es for many years before coming face to face with the Reckoners themselves, the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

He was last seen standing face to face with Death himself, flipping him the bird.

*note, this kinda stuff is not all that uncommon for Deadlands:)

First Ever Champions Character

My first ever character (circa 1981) was a mentalist named Nova. He had Flight a level or two with DCV and a multipower of Mental Powers. Ego Attack, an AE Ego Attack, Mental Illusions & Telepathy. Ego Defense was outside of the multipower. He had a little higher energy defenses than physical defenses. He had no Mind Scan (the GM didn't allow it) and no X-Ray vision. The GM didn't want the mentalist to hide out in a bunker and attack those who could not shoot back. By the same token he only had around a +2 with his sight Perception so he couldn't orbit the battlefield at 20,000 feet.

There may still be a old hand written character sheet around here somewhere but I doubt it.

First Ever RPG Character

A half-elf fighter-magic user for 1st Edition AD&D. I think that this was around 1979 or so. I had acted as DM for several years before I ever played a character. I can't even remember this character's name. I think he made it up to around 5/6 th level. The highest level any character ever made it in any of our games was a 19th Level Magic User. That character was retired by the player at that point since he didn't see much point in continuing past that point.

First Fantasy Character was an Elf Ranger, eventually turned Cleric, level 14 in Palladium by the time we finished. Arion Valicor. The source of many epic adventures.

First WoD Character was Markus Drake, Tremere, ended up being so evil he became the recurring villian for our WoD Campaigns for years to come. The character came right off the page, I ended up having to ask the Storyteller if I could spend Willpower to stop Markus from doing the things he would do. He said no.

First Champions Character was The Ray. Light based flying Energy Projector based on the character of the same name. Favorite moment was when he was staying at the 'Genesis Mansion' under the tutelage of 'Prof. Genesis' and he joined 'Genesis Force.' There was a fight when Fatal [sabretooth] snuck into the Mansion to fight Deathstrike [Wolverine]. The Ray could become desold, so he hears the noises of battle, specifically hearing Fatal yell that he's going to rip out Deathstrike's guts and drink his blood... He gets out of bed, goes desolid and pokes his face out of the door asking "What's all this about blood and guts?" just as a spray of Deathstrike's blood came washing over the door.

Long time ago (1st ed. Champs), my 1st character was a semi-alcoholic ET robot. Because he was damaged, most of his powers were bought on activation rolls.

Now that I think about it, he sort of sounds like Bender from Futurama.

First WoD Character was Markus Drake, Tremere, ended up being so evil he became the recurring villian for our WoD Campaigns for years to come. The character came right off the page, I ended up having to ask the Storyteller if I could spend Willpower to stop Markus from doing the things he would do. He said no.

Ok, I official request that you explain this some. Maybe with an example?

This sounds great.

First character: Vampire game, Stan the Malkavian. ( I started gaming later in life than most... )

First Champions character that I _played_ would have to be Senor Mysterio, the mystic Luchadore. And that was only at a Con. I have a bad habit of GMing games long before I ever get a chance to play them...

First Superhero character: The Paladine. He was a nigh-invulnerable flying brick with a 'Sword of Omens' style weapon which in order to summon it, required the player to get out of my chair, and do stupid poses and incantations blatently ripped off from He-Man and Thundercats. It was great. This was in an Aberrant game. It didn't last long as the GM took a confrontational approach with the players. And the system sucked too. The only reason it held together for the few months that it did was due to Dave Weinstein's mitigating influence...

My first character was D and D* fighter named Falcar, strong brave and true. Not a terribly original character but allot of fun to play. Ran him for quite a awhile, threw a marriage a few kids. He eventually ended a low ranking lord.

*D and D, as in the old Red Box set.

The very first character was most likely a fighter for my first D&D game, and he was never played again. Once I got into a regular game, I ran a fighter with incredible stats who eventually became an anti-paladin.

First Champs character would be a guy named Brigand, who was supposed to be an invulnerable martial artist with max human strength, and skilled up the yingus to be more of a fun support character than the archetypical hero. Being my first write-up, he wasn't as effective as I'd have liked, but I'm toying with re-doing him as an NPC for the campaign I'm creating currently.

My first RPG was Champions, talk about jumping in head first. It was about 20 yrs ago and Thundercats / GI Joe were the coolest things going at the time. So my first character was named FeLion. Very Lion-O-esque except for his military experience that he got before gaining leonine features and abilities. The first GM I ever had killed him off with his version of Kraven, the bad guy shot him with a sniper rifle out of combat and killed off poor FeLion. I recreated him as Scratch about ten years later, but never played him more than once or twice. My second character was a Spidey rip-off Arachno-Lad or some such (yes playing Champions led me to reading Comics instead of the other way around). He didn't last long though before I started GMing and have rarely played since.

My first character was an attempt to duplicate the Vision from the Avengers. It was quite poorly done and I don't think I actually played him.

Hmm, I'd rebuild him if I could remember the name (or could come up with a new, better one)... that was over 20 years ago, though.

My first character ever? A 1e AD&D TN Halfling Thief ... good times were had by him. Poor group though ;)

First Champions Character? A "hero" by the name of Cat. He was a former cat-burglar who stole some equipment from UNTIL & Viper to make a cyber suit. Had claws, enhanced dex, armor and some super-sense ... eventually we got the Dragon issue with new powers and I gave him Extra Lives as well. Lasted for a while in the campaign ...

I started with D&D (I got the old pink box kicking around here somewhere), but I always played Lawful fighters, and they were pretty much interchangeable. I didn't really fall in love with RPGs in a huge way until I got my hands on the Marvel blue box, one of my most nostalgic possessions.

My first character that wasn't Wolverine was a mutant named Midget-Man, who was a Hulk-level brick with wall-crawling and blending. No, please don't ask what I was thinking.

An always-invisible combat mentalist (EGO Attack only) with large fluffy white wings and a furry white tail. Science gone-awry Reed Richards type (eg more science skills that a university lab).

Oh yeah...he was also really rich and British.

My bad too...my very first character was a 1st Ed AD&D Half-Elven Fighter/Mage/Thief named Garret Draak. We didn't have a very large group so we had to multiclass heavily.

Before that I had toyed with a Fighter and Assassin (D&D not the Advanced Type) but that was basically just learning what I was doing so they don't really count.

First character I ever made for Champions was the son of a scientist that had been genetically experimented on. End result was a lycanthropy like condition that allowed him to simultaneously emulate the physical abilites of various mammals, such as bats, cats and apes.

Never got a chance to play him or even finish the writeup. This was back in either 3E or 4E.

First character for 5E was a occult detective with multiple personality disorder. He had magic in his blood, but no actual aptitude for spell casting. He came from a long line of demonically empowerd guardians, created in acient times by a wizard to be his personal guardians. The character was built with multiform with three seperate forms:

-Jack Ellis, a very knowledgable and skitish supernatural detective with a small compliment of minor supernatural sensory powers. Technicaly the base form.

- Oliver Kale is everything Jack ever wanted to be. Suave, handsome, outgoing and one hell of a bad ***. Oliver has a touch of demonic power, making him slightly stronger, faster and tougher then normal humans. He's also got a hell of a lot of Martial Arts abilites, centering around boxing, wrestling and prity fighting. He's also damn good with a sword, that that has never come uup in game. It's not clear if Oliver is really a part of Jack's fractured psyche or some kind of "racial memory" from his warrior ancestors. Oliver comes out to play when Jack is asleep or when Jack is under extreme duress.

-The Beast Within, is an awesomly powerful demonic Metamorph/Brick. Think of the Hulk, with bulletproof bat wings and various shapeshifting abilites. The Beast is something of a hybrid personality of Jack and Oliver, posessing all of Jack's curiosity with a healthy dose of Oliver's guile. But there's also a third aspect, something very dark and very angry. Fortunatly, the Beast doesn't come out to play that often, but when he does things are usually quite grim indeed...

Guest Suleyman Rashid

My first character ever was a Ranger named Beornegar. I admit to not having a lot of imagination when I was 11... I wanted to name him Aragorn, but the other kids wouldn't let me, so I took the first name that sounded like it might be from the same culture I could find in a book.

My first Champions character was Morningstar... basically Daredevil with a 40 strength. Again, I didn't have the greatest imagination when I was 11.

Like most folks here, I started playing AD&D long before getting into Champions. Played once and then have been DMing ever since.

Then later when some friends started playing Champions I was fascinated by this system that appeared to have mastered the art of point based natural party and foe balance. I started playing tentatively, because the rules were *very* complex, and I went for a fairly straightfoward brick called "Conquistador" built around a 60 STR and decent DEX and levels, plus an ancient helmet (secret ID was a archeologist) which, when donned, would oufit him in decent Armor. The character was simple (this was before I could wrap my brain around Elemental Controls or Multi-Powers), but very effective and fun to play.

I learned a few key lessons early:

1) The game isn't completely balanced based solely on points. The GM still needs to impose an overall balance check and make sure everyone's character is close in relative usefulness.

2) The way the character building process allows the players to influence the direction of the overall campaign (mostly with disads) is brilliant!

3) The focus on fewer but far more detailed combats is a really nice alternative to hack and slash / many encounters per session games (aka AD&D).

In conclusion - I loved it, and many years later I am still playing and GMing Hero System (Fantasy, DI, and Supers) when time allows.

BTW - Very first post - a friend told me I should start hanging around these boards for ideas, feedback, and all that...

My first Character was Krypton, a Level 1 D&D figheter as I learned the system. I left him by the wayside for my second Character, Seenar (spelled Seener then, but people kept messing up the pronucation) a Magic User. Seenar has since made the trip into a game of Mystic Masters (gained a new wife. The first one had to die for the sake of the story, poor thing) so he is in Champs now.

My first Champs character was a Alien from a gas giant that looked like a 3 meter silver disk. He was called "Blackstar" (though his real name was Astwulf), and he had gravity control powers, with 3rd Ed Teke. Man, those old end rules were a killer for him.

Before I started Champions in 1985 my PCs were basically one-shot characters who never lasted beyond a single session. Fighters mostly, with little else of note.

My first Champions PCs as the sorcerer Avalon, who was based in part off of Illyana from the New Mutants (I wasn't much of a comic reader at the time, and the GM suggested the origin). His 5th Edition character sheet is here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/original/avalon.html

My first Hero System character was in a fantasy campaign. The character was named Wa Wa Fatoong, and he was an all-out mentalist mage. Hideous burn scars all over; empty burned-out eye sockets; age 60+; borderline insane (remarkably easy for me to roleplay, actually :straight:). His first half hour each morning was spent "putting his eyes on", that is, casting all the sensory spells he needed in place of his eyes, nose, and (to a lesser extent) ears. I wrote a little origin story for him; it involved a mage duel with an arch-enemy (a master of fire), they both fell into an induced interplanar rip. Wa Wa fell out of the rip and landed in a freshly-mucked barley field in a howling thunderstorm.

The first Champions characters that I designed were NPCs since I was the GM and I really don't remember them (it's been 23 years after all). The first Champions character that I played was Professor Plasma, essentially a Human Torch-type. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the details of his write-up as he was only played a couple of times -- the concept and name were revived a few years later for another campaign, but the powers and background were somewhat different.

People who've played in my SuperSquad America convention events will recognize the first two characters that I played regularly in campaigns: Rick Davies the Resilient Rubber-Man and Challenger. And their original concepts aren't all that different than the versions used at conventions, although any ties between the two characters were created specifically for the convention events.

Rod Currie

http://www.supersquadamerica.com

Do I remember him? Hell, I still have the character sheet here somewhere....

His name was Blazer (no idea why). He was a mutant who generated plasma blades from his hands, regenerated a little and could teleport short distances. He also had motorcycle to get around town. He's made a few comebacks since then, but the original is still sacred to me.

I'll have to go questing for the sheet now....