DC Suckverse?

Enforcer84

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DC Suckverse?

Well, it's clear this series is ending

Written by Greg Rucka ; Art by Cliff Richards and Ray Snyder ; Cover by J.G. Jones

Astonishing final issue! With the universe in turmoil, Diana prepares to face her ultimate challenge. Looking back on her relationship with Superman from the way it began to its recent turmoil, will she find a way to rebuild what she's lost? Final issue.

DC Universe | 32pg. | Color | $2.50 US

But, as has been pointed out, there's nothing saying she won't be showing up in a brand new #1 a month or two after that.

I guess we shall see if the rumor that they are depowering Diana and handing the mantle over to Donna Troy is true or not.

That, I could probably live with. And it wouldn't bother me so much that they stopped and started the series again. A new Wonder Woman on a permanent basis would be about what I'd require for a #1 Reboot.

But it would surprise me.

I don't see the point in rehashing the Diana Depowered storyline again. How many times has she been through that now? Three? More?

I don't know how original you can be after 60 years of storytelling, but the depowered-year or two off-repowered thing never worked.

The following information is hearsay I do not have an official source for it:

I believe that there is a limit on how long DC can go without actually printing a Wonder Woman title. As I understand it, DC does not actually own the character. WW was a rarity in the Golden Age, she was actually owned by William Moulton Marston (i.e. he retained the rights to the character and licensed them to DC). This has remained true to this day it is actually his estate that owns the character with a license for all rights to the character conditioned upon DC producing an actual comic book. Wonder Woman while not very valuable as a comic book comodity is extremely lucrative in terms of other licensed merchandise.

Wonder Woman, Flash, and the Justice League have all been cancelled; and all will be coming back with new titles later this year [though we're not sure who the Flash will be or who will be in the new JLA]. 2006 is all about new directions and stories so people don't need to worry about too much past continuity when wanting to get into the comics.

The following information is hearsay I do not have an official source for it:

I believe that there is a limit on how long DC can go without actually printing a Wonder Woman title. As I understand it, DC does not actually own the character. WW was a rarity in the Golden Age, she was actually owned by William Moulton Marston (i.e. he retained the rights to the character and licensed them to DC). This has remained true to this day it is actually his estate that owns the character with a license for all rights to the character conditioned upon DC producing an actual comic book. Wonder Woman while not very valuable as a comic book comodity is extremely lucrative in terms of other licensed merchandise.

My understanding is that DC purchased the full rights for Wonder Woman from the Marston estate in 1986 right before Perez started his reboot because of all the changes he wanted to make in the character. Look on the brightside of comics though: Superman's copyright expires in 2013. :)

My understanding is that DC purchased the full rights for Wonder Woman from the Marston estate in 1986 right before Perez started his reboot because of all the changes he wanted to make in the character. Look on the brightside of comics though: Superman's copyright expires in 2013. :)

I'll believe that will happen right after I see Mickey Mouse go public domain.

But if you look at the legal info printed in every issue, you'll notice that it points out that "Superman and the distinctive likeness thereof is a trademark of DC Comics blah blah blah" and so forth.

Copyrights are copyrights. You don't EVER have to publish something to protect the copyright. But they do eventually expire (in theory, if Disney doesn't manage to change that...)

TRADEMARKS, on the other hand, are a "use it or (eventually) lose it" proposition. However, the upside is that as long you use and protect them, trademarks NEVER expire.

That's why no valuable superhero character ever goes long without seeing print again, whether is their own book or as a guest star in another book. As long as DC continues to USE the Superman trademark, they'll never lose it.

She'll be back soon. My understanding is that the estate of her creator (William Moulton Marston) will have all rights Wonder Woman revert to them if she stays out of publication for long.

Per Wikipedia: Negotiated before his death in 1947, his heirs retain small royalties from all Wonder Woman related creations and merchandise. Also there is a reversion of rights clause that states if DC Comics does not publish for one month any Wonder Woman comic book, the rights to the Wonder Woman character and related merchandise, past, current, and future revert to his family. Effectively, this means that if DC Comics became so poor that they could only publish one comic book a month, it would have to be Wonder Woman, or else they would lose her to Marston's family. Presumably though, this has been extended to the creation and distribution of other Wonder Woman merchandise.

However, there is a possibility that this is no longer true.

I like continuity.

That is to say, I like when the past comes back to haunt a hero. I like when things thought put to rest resurface. I like when a plot thread you thought was forgotten actually wasn't.

At the same time, I'd rather not have people mangling entire universes in order to make everything make better sense.

In otherwords, forget the overreaching, character assassinating storylines and play ball as usual.

If they think ruining a series' storied history will get more people into comics, they're crazy. Too much history is NOT the reason people don't read as many comics anymore.

Lets reboot the whole universe...

Suckage indeed.

I'm glad I didn't get back into comic collecting.

Lets reboot the whole universe...

Suckage indeed.

I'm glad I didn't get back into comic collecting.

If you're going to get back into collecting then March is the time to do it. Every book in DC advances One Year with [supposedly] continuity corrected and no un-needed baggage so that it's easier for people to get back into comics. I've been enjoying Infinite Crisis so far, and I've been out of comics several years as well.