DC Suckverse?

Enforcer84

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DC Suckverse?

I've been following the Infinite Crisis and so far it's pretty good. At least I can find DC comics I'll consider reading-- which is no longer the case with Marvel. (I keep looking for decent Marvel stuff at the local comic store but everything I pick up makes no sense so I put it down unbought.)

Oh for #Q)*!@#&* sake...

As I said elsewhere, DC can't seem to go long without rebooting and retooling.

"So that new readers don't have to worry about backstory..."

Screw that. One of the most enjoyable things for me when I start reading something I've never seen before is going back and finding everything else that takes place in the same setting and/or with the same characters, and reading all of it. I do that with the webcomics I find -- spend a weekend reading the entire run to current.

Oh for #Q)*!@#&* sake...

As I said elsewhere, DC can't seem to go long without rebooting and retooling.

"So that new readers don't have to worry about backstory..."

Screw that. One of the most enjoyable things for me when I start reading something I've never seen before is going back and finding everything else that takes place in the same setting and/or with the same characters, and reading all of it. I do that with the webcomics I find -- spend a weekend reading the entire run to current.

Perhaps you're the exception and not the norm? :)

I've been following the Infinite Crisis and so far it's pretty good. At least I can find DC comics I'll consider reading-- which is no longer the case with Marvel. (I keep looking for decent Marvel stuff at the local comic store but everything I pick up makes no sense so I put it down unbought.)

I get 7 DC titles (with three more after the one year later - Ion, Blue Beetle and Auquaman added)

I was down to 1 Marvel title for a while - Exiles. But I got sucked back in with the two Avengers titles, the New Excalibur and the upcoming Ms Marvel series.

So I'll be standing at 10 & 5. Most indie stuff doesn't interest me - I'm in comics for the superheroes baby.

I get 7 DC titles (with three more after the one year later - Ion, Blue Beetle and Auquaman added)

I was down to 1 Marvel title for a while - Exiles. But I got sucked back in with the two Avengers titles, the New Excalibur and the upcoming Ms Marvel series.

So I'll be standing at 10 & 5. Most indie stuff doesn't interest me - I'm in comics for the superheroes baby.

I get TPBs, if and when one gets a few good reviews from people I trust. I think the last DC TPB I purchased was the JSA elseworlds set in WWII, with an alternate Evil Superman.

If so' date=' then him and me are both exceptions.[/quote']

Gotta join that list myself - digging into the shared universe is what really pulled me into comics.

As to Wonder Woman, she's been on the verge of canellation before. The WW TV show saved her in the '70s, for example.

Gotta join that list myself - digging into the shared universe is what really pulled me into comics.

As to Wonder Woman, she's been on the verge of canellation before. The WW TV show saved her in the '70s, for example.

Then Linda Carter has much to answer for.

Shame, too. I really liked her.

And me. A rich, complex history of characters, events, and interactions (not to mention multiple universes) was a big selling point for me, not a "stop" sign.

In light of that, it's telling that I stopped reading DC regularly about a year after Crisis, and stopped even the occassional purchase/read after Zero Hour.

Reboots: :sick:

I love the history of DC! What's not to know? Hal's back, Ollie’s back, Superman's back, Batman's back is back... There's no secret who these guys are. They’re icons. Their rich history is what makes the JLA, JSA and other DC titles awesome. Heck even the Outsiders and Titans can call some of their members golden agers.

Funny though... it was the massive proliferation of new characters and alternate universes that turned me away from Marvel. Now I'm down to 1 Marvel book (and I'm not happy with it = New Avengers)

THING. Go get THING.

A certain amount of history is great, even necessary. But if a storyline is basically inaccessible without in-depth knowledge, new readers will go elsewhere. That alone kept me from picking up any X-Men titles in the 90's - I didn't know half the characters and storylines, and the half I did know weren't anything like I remembered them.

I'd be tempted to pick up a "reboot" of Wonder Woman. I've never read DC comics and would be interested in trying one. But if I'm required to understand some intricate backstory, I won't bother.

The funny thing is on the DC boards many people under 30 have no idea what's going on. Who is this old Superman? Who is this strange Superboy? What is all this garbage about multiple earths? Why are characters X, Y, and Z disappearing? DC has managed to build 20 years of history and continuity without multiple earths and all the other non-sense. There's still plenty of story there even without all the outdated material.

The real sad commentary, IMO, is that DC has so many modern characters that they're dying and the readers have no idea who they are. I'm personally glad that things are being rerolled and cleaned out. DC ran wild the last 10 years and now it's getting fixed [again]. Who needs stupid stories where Superman dies [Oh, not really!], or Batman is crippled [Oh, not really!], or Robin is killed [Oh, not really!], or Hal goes insane [Oh, not really!]? It's better to drop the stupid continuity then acknowledged it, IMO.

A certain amount of history is great, even necessary. But if a storyline is basically inaccessible without in-depth knowledge, new readers will go elsewhere. That alone kept me from picking up any X-Men titles in the 90's - I didn't know half the characters and storylines, and the half I did know weren't anything like I remembered them.

I'd be tempted to pick up a "reboot" of Wonder Woman. I've never read DC comics and would be interested in trying one. But if I'm required to understand some intricate backstory, I won't bother.

Yep, that's the general feeling for most people, and why DC's universe takes a One year reboot in March. Everyone starts at a clean slate and you'll only need the basic knowledge of the characters to follow the stories.

I wouldn't even know where to begin reading an X-Man book now [and I'd have no enjoyment in buying hundreds of back issues trying to figure out what was good and what was crap]. I think part of the reason the Ultimates Universe is so popular is because of this as well: you know the characters but don't need to deal with all the back-history.

Perhaps the title is a bit harsh but as I was doing my Batman research at DC's website I have to ask:

It looks like Wonder Woman is being cancelled. Any other victims?

Wow, not only is that a drastic oversimplification of the issue, it doesn't even come close to stating the many other available options. Infinite Crisis has been an excellent story, and I look forward to the retooled DCU.

I'm a hardcore DC fan from as far back as the mid-70's when I first graduated up to super-hero titles around the age of 8 or so. I had no problem with multiple-Earths concept. DC used the first Crisis to clean house and get folks excited about their books again. It worked! But in the past 20 years, things have stagnated and started to sour again. Characters were killed off only to be returned again when their predecessors failed to spark the same interest. Now, with Infinite Crisis, it's time to shake things up for a whole new generation. I'm okay with that - now entering my 4th decade as a comic collector.

I am the direct opposite of Martin. I liked comics until right after Crisis. The constant fiddling, and rewriting turned me off. This new crisis has been as lame, convuluted, ill plotted, and asinine as a lot of the crossovers that have come before it. I may pick up an isolated mini here or there, but I think I am well past the day I would drop a hundred bucks on as many comic books as I could carry away at one time.

CES