Millennium City walled or not

Bengalelf

I have read the Millennium City Sourcebook and I am confused.

Going by the map on page 23 of the sourcebook, it appears that there is a wall around the city of the future. There is no mention of this, that I am aware of, in the sourcebook.

One of my players brought up the idea. After looking at the map, I see where he came up with idea that the city is walled. I do not know hwat good this would do in the modern world.

It would make sense to try and keep super villains, like Grond, out and I am sure a wall would be a good idea, but how high and to what DEF?.

What do people think....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Millennium City walled or not

Going by the map on page 23 of the sourcebook, it appears that there is a wall around the city of the future. There is no mention of this, that I am aware of, in the sourcebook.

One of my players brought up the idea. After looking at the map, I see where he came up with idea that the city is walled. I do not know hwat good this would do in the modern world.

It would make sense to try and keep super villains, like Grond, out and I am sure a wall would be a good idea, but how high and to what DEF?.

What do people think....

It isn't a wall, but a large raised highway. On page 22 "Bounded by the famed Millennium Highway...". The pic on page 20 gives a visual. The hard data and description are on page 35 under driving as well as the explaination about the "gates".

Okay, let me see if I have this right. The wall looking thing on the map on page 22 is the Millennium highway Loop. Which joins with all major highways to form the only ways into the city. There is no wall, but the Loop, being the only way into or out of the city, which also circles the city, (like a wall) insures all vehicles inside the city are VVC.

Okay' date=' let me see if I have this right. The wall looking thing on the map on page 22 is the Millennium highway Loop. Which joins with all major highways to form the only ways into the city. There is no wall, but the Loop, being the only way into or out of the city, which also circles the city, (like a wall) insures all vehicles inside the city are VVC.[/quote']

As far as I understand it, yes. I don't use MC though. My last game was a Gotham/Chicago campaign a while ago. My next will be a supers game based in HC.

The reason you may have gotten the impression of the wall is the fact that in this area...8 mile IS considered a "barrier", but one based on social/economic factors...not physical ones. Basically...below 8 Mile Road is "The City" of Detroit, while above it is the suburbs. As someone who lives in the area, I can tell you the difference in crossing the 8 Mile line is like being in a different world entirely. About as different as South Central LA and say...Beverly Hills. Millennium City just plays on this by doing the same approach...just in reverse(now the city is the place to be).

Rob

"Deedee, you stay out of my city!"

Keith "Dexter" Curtis

Oh god... now I picture Dexter all grown up and the secret power behind the city...

"STOooopid girl, I am having dinner with Doctor Silverback, and it is a meeting for scientists ONLY!"

;)

With more cameras than a Korean Wedding and a tracking chip in every car' date=' what does it need a wall for? It has Big Brother.[/quote']

Yeah, that always struck me as vaguely creepy too. Can you imagine how the Champs Universe conspiracy freaks would take off on it?

That, and they seem to have settled the problems caused by poverty by chasing all the poor people to North Detroit...

Yeah, that always struck me as vaguely creepy too. Can you imagine how the Champs Universe conspiracy freaks would take off on it?

Yeah between that and the Mutant Registration Act..... the Champs Universe US is not somewhere I'd want to live.

In my version of the CU (with lots of stuff added and changed) MC is seen pretty much everywhere as a big brother kind of city. Most people outside the city don't like it, and see anyone talking about how great it is to be mougthing the "city party line."

Yeah between that and the Mutant Registration Act..... the Champs Universe US is not somewhere I'd want to live.

In my version of the CU (with lots of stuff added and changed) MC is seen pretty much everywhere as a big brother kind of city. Most people outside the city don't like it, and see anyone talking about how great it is to be mougthing the "city party line."

The "big brother" thing is really only as dark as you want to make it. By making it something bad you're choosing to make it a dark bronze/iron age thing. The intent of the chips and cameras isn't to be a big brother city. The intent is to reduce and eliminate crime. Millennium City does not mention the fact that the people hate it. That is something you are putting into the game based on your own sensibilities.

As for how strange it might be, most big cities now have cameras stationed around them to help with crime, and there are several different methods [including shorting out a vehicle's electronic system] currently being developed and used to stop vehicles used in crimes. Millennium City just takes these things to the next logical step.

If I were playing in a MC game I'd have a more late silver/early bronze feel and people would consider the cameras and chips a good thing [a way of feeling safe] especially after so many had died due to superhuman crime. It's all about how you choose to play it, not what it is.

OK showing my cultural ignorance again, but what are these Dexter references to?

I assume it is some cartoon, because I have not TV reception, and never watched cartoons anyway; well aside from Bugs Bunny and then the Tiny Toons.

They're from Dexter's Laboratory.

Basically, it exists to keep all the newbie 1st level superheroes out of the high level neighborhoods and hazard zones like '8 Mile'. ;)

JG

What appears to be a wall is actually the Millennium Loop. It is detailed under Chapter 3, Transportation sub heading Driving on page 35. All roads lead to the gates, which may look like a mini-fortress or a comic book parking lot.

"Furthermore, only chipped cars can drive on the Millennium Highway (a.k.a. 'the Loop'), the freeway running along the perimeter of the city, where a driver relinquishes direct control of his car to a massie computer located in City Center next door to City Hall. The computer keeps traffic zipping along at a standard 70 miles per hour...."

- Millennium City, p. 35

It goes on to mention that since the Loop has been operating (1998), there hasn't been an auto accident nor a loss of vehicle control.

They are successfully working on such things in California, I do believe, though it hasn't been implemented to the masses; it's still in production.

• 1 month later...
Guest bblackmoor

With more cameras than a Korean Wedding and a tracking chip in every car' date=' what does it need a wall for? It has Big Brother.[/quote']

If ever use Millennium City (and I may some day), it will be the capital of the Evil Oppressive High Tech Third World Country. Gods forbid any American ever have to live in such a place. :thumbdown

Guest bblackmoor

They are successfully working on such things in California...

Gods forbid any American have to live there, either...

Guest bblackmoor

The intent of the chips and cameras isn't to be a big brother city. The intent is to reduce and eliminate crime.

Oppression and grievous civil rights abuses are often announced as anti-crime measures (or, more recently, as anti-terrorism measures). The stated intent is irrelevant: it is what it is.

No kidding. Sounds like whiney people just looking for a boogey-man. :rolleyes:

I wonder which part is oppressive: The fact that since 1998 people have been able to travel at 70 mph without having one wreck, the walkways that allow you to not have to travel on street level (keeping people safer and traffic flowing smoother) or the high-tech displays on buildings that you can watch while travelling around, such as on the people mover? :angst: Oh no! There's...technology! :eek: Run away! :P