Best supporting non-super character in comics?

Supreme Serpent

J.Jonah Jameson. Perry White. Lois Lane. Jimmy Olsen. Aunt May. Alfred Pennyworth. Edwin Jarvis. Rick Jones (sometimes disqualified). Foggy Nelson. Mrs. Arbrogast. Pepper Potts. The list goes on and on. Way too many interesting choices to make a 10-option poll.

Inspired a bit from the JJJ thread - who's the best/your favorite supporting character from supers comics? Those who don't put on the tights, don't beat up the villains, aren't true villains themselves, but still help make the stories more interesting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best supporting non-super character in comics?

Despite the fact I've switched my Subscription from ASM to Thing, one of the things I HAVE enjoyed (and may continue to enjoy in trades) is how JMS is handling the relationship between Mary Jane and Peter Parker. Holy hell, a SUPPORTIVE wife who nevertheless has her own problems and concerns and life? and to his credit, JMS has made it work. I've always liked Mary Jane. When written correctly, and with depth, she has been an interesting person to contrast with Peter. Someone who is not afraid to disagree with him, or offer her own insights, yet still ends up by his side.

Jarvis of the Avengers. Seriously, I don't care if he did start out as some sort of Alfred rip off, he's a sweet guy, a loyal friend, and has enough honor that most heroes should be admiring the hell out of him. Pardon me for getting biblical, but the phrase "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" could be his tagline.

Hindsight lad, okay, he did put on a costume. He could be an obnoxious twit, and he blackmailed his way into the New Warriors... but I loved him, because in my less ethical moments when I was his age I would have been tempted to do the same thing just to be part of a world like that. And when push came to shove, he honestly DID try to do the work.

JJJ... for reasons mentioned in another thread. Spider-Man once said something like "under neath that crusty greedy sensationalizing exterior beats a heart of gold... and under that is more crusty greed..." ;) JJJ is best when portrayed as the foil with standards imo.

My goodness, there are so many.. I'll post a few more later, or more likely go 'seconded' when someone mentions others. :)

My vote would go to the entire supporting cast of the Superman titles (Lois, Jimmy, Perry, et al). There are non-powered supporting characters who were interesting enough to make the books still worth readin during the time that Superman was "dead". That's a pretty good feat.

My favorite incarnation of Alfred has to be from Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman: "You think you know me so well, don't you?"

Alfred: "I diapered your bottom, I bloody well OUGHT to....sir."

:)

And yes, Alfred is great.

Alas, I am not as up on my D.C. comics, so I can't wax as poetic about others ;)

I liked Maxwell Lord before they made him into a killer. *Sigh* It was great to see established super heroes see this guy in a suit with a 'deal' to offer, approaching and go "Oh no." or "Run!" in response :)

Come to think of it, Blue Devil had a great cast of "DNPCs" and so on period. :)

JJ Is pretty entrtaining, but hardly supporting :)

(I'm pretty sure you mean supporting the comic book)

I like Foggy.

Jarvis always felt like an Alfred knockoff.

Never really liked Jimmy Olsen, Aunt May, and Rick Jones sometimes was pretty annoying.

I'm farily indifferent to most.

With all that said: 1)Alfred, 2)JJJ, 3) Lois Lane

Something cool about a butler who can treat phosphorous burns.

Didn't Alfred recently shoot some punk who was trying to blackmail Bruce Wayne because he found out he was Batman?

Anyway, my favorites:

Jarvis

Alfred

Mary Jane

Thunderbolt Ross (as a foil)

Aunt May

JJJ (see, Ross, Thunderbolt)

Flash Thompson

Lois Lane

Ma & Pa Kent

I guess we're forgiving the super identities of Lois, Lana, Jimmy and Rick for now. Those stories were all pretty much pre-crisis anyway, iirc.

I think it would have to be JJJ. Few others got me so riled up or had me laughing out loud at different times. He is the very embodiment of you-love-to-hate-him. Perhaps it is because he is one of the most human characters out there. His portrayal in the movies was one of the greatest achievements of said movies.

I do like Alfred, too. He's been a very interesting wise old man archetype that became much more prominent and necessary as Bats descended into obsession.

Pre-Lyja, Alicia Masters was a favorite (natch). But when she got involved with the Surfer...well, the less said of that the better.

Another vote for JJJ and Aunt May. Really, all of Spidey's supporting cast were excellent.

Never had much emotionally invested in Jarvis, but always thought Wong was the $%#@. OK, technically he was a master martial artist, but compared to most of the beings that attacked Dr. Strange's mansion, he was definitely DNPC, Incompetant.

Never was much of a DC reader back when, but Max Lord was fun at one point.

bigdamnhero

[twack!] “Message for you, sir.â€

Ma and Pa Kent were two of the best characters to come out of the crisis. They have done more to humanize and ground Superman into a character we can identify than an army of Lois Lanes. Though many people moan and cry over changes in the post-crisis Superman stable, keeping those two alive has been a stroke of genius.

Keith "Oh, and Alfred, too" Curtis

PS. It's a shame Alfred's WWII past has gotten further and further from the possible.

PPS. An army of Lois (Teri Hatcher) Lanes. Mmmm.

Guest Lollygagger

Ben Urich from the Daredevil series was always one of my favorites. A guy who keeps a superhero's secret identity because he knows in the long run society is better off, but who isn't afraid of using the threat of outing the hero to blackmail the hero into doing the right thing when the right thing needs done.

Oh... and go Alfred.

No love for Gordon? Does he not count because he's a cop?

Actually, if you'll allow me to switch the medium from Comics back to the Animated series... I'll give a big thumbs up for most of Gotham PD.

Renee Montoya was my favorite. We get to see her rise up from honest blues cop to detective. Bullock was great as the cop you love to hate, and Gordan? In or out of Batman:tAS

It's good to see an authority figure in the comics who isn't bumbling, arrogant, or bigotted and when he DOES get over his head, is man enough to admit it.

Lois? Alfred? Jimmy? Mere hangers-on.

No no, for a real example of the indispensable ally, the indefatigable Everyman, there is only one character worthy of notice:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Woozy Winks.

Except in Woozy's first appearance Police Comics #13, November 1942, Woozy did have Super Powers. Zambi the Soothsayer bestowed upon Woozy "protection from nature," which pretty much made him indistructable and impossible to capture.

Sue Dibny, who has many of the same traits that Hermit praises in Mary Jane.

I'm tempted to put Ma Hunkel, the golden age Red Tornado here, because she was a supporting character in Scribbly.

Mindy Mayers was brilliant (as was most of Wonder Woman's supporting cast during the Perez run).

Grant Morrison's version of the Baker Family in Animal Man.

Alfred ranks pretty near the top, if not numero uno. Aunt May is a close second, with Jarvis and Jameson tied for third.

Honorable mention to Ben Urich, Robbie Robertson, Alicia Masters, Commish Gordon and Willie Lumpkin. Some of my favorite "non super" moments in comics have been with these characters. Does Sharon Carter (Agent of SHIELD) count?

Ladies and gentlemen' date=' I give you... Woozy Winks.[/quote']

Did he lose his superpowers? Woozy was originally blessed by nature - nothing could harm him. I think you're right that this has been downplayed or written out in current continuity, however.