Sick of Wolverine

L.Craig

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sick of Wolverine

I'm still trying to figure out what he brings to the New Avengers beyond a super sniffer and the "I go stabby" power.

Legions of addoring fans that would otherwise never touch an Avengers book.

However, in terms of skills, abilities and connections, he's actuly got a lot more going for him then MANY former Avangers.

Doesn't much matter anyhow. His appearances are supposed to get drasticly cut in the near future. If I recall, they want to limit him to his books, Astonishing X-Men and occasional appearances in New Avengers.

I grew tired of him by around the mid-80's myself. Too much exposure. I even had to put a mandatory "no Wolverine-types" for campaigns I was GMing. The hack-n-slash characters work fine for AD&D games but not true four-color Champions campaigns of which my world was noted for having.

I think the gist of reforming the Avengers was to try and somewhat duplicate the feel of the first Avengers issue, where some disparate characters were thrown together by a circumstance and stayed together when they saw how effective they could be. In this instance, Wolverine takes the Hulk's place as the dangerous, not-sure-we-can-trust-him member, but he's accepted for his experience and as Iron Man pointed out, his willingness to go further than most of the other members of the group.

Really, I kind of like Logan in this setting, since it gets him away from the whole X-Mess. But I agree he could be tagged with the new indistry buzzword 'radioactive' - as in he needs to disappear for a while. Not likely to hapen though, as he's become nearly as great a cash cow as some of the Silver Age creations.

I think the gist of reforming the Avengers was to try and somewhat duplicate the feel of the first Avengers issue' date=' where some disparate characters were thrown together by a circumstance and stayed together when they saw how effective they could be. In this instance, Wolverine takes the Hulk's place as the dangerous, not-sure-we-can-trust-him member, but he's accepted for his experience and as Iron Man pointed out, his willingness to go further than most of the other members of the group. [/quote']

That was exactly the point at which I started doubting the book. That was the dumbest speech and dumbest reaction from Cap I've read in a long long time.

Really, I kind of like Logan in this setting, since it gets him away from the whole X-Mess. But I agree he could be tagged with the new indistry buzzword 'radioactive' - as in he needs to disappear for a while. Not likely to hapen though, as he's become nearly as great a cash cow as some of the Silver Age creations.

Probably more since the movies and subsequent games.

My take is that I like Wolverine. He's a great character when used correctly for a few reasons:

1. Mysterious past

2. Attitude

3. He's often the rebel of the team

4. Empowerment- let's be honest, haven't we all wanted to be like Wolverine just once?

The big problem is that he's been used too much by too many writers which has not only created boredom with the character but confusion with all of the multiple interpretations. There hasn't been an effort to keep the character consistent that I can see.

Personally, the biggest problem I have right now is the terrible continuity of Logan. He killed tons of people when he was under Hydra control yet has been welcomed back with open arms. I'm sorry but "I was mind controlled" just doesn't cut it. I don't think anyone could ever trust him again or be comfortable around him. Heck, he's still in the mansion despite having killed Northstar- you can't tell me the student could see him and not run screaming in the other direction.

Edit: I just thought of something. Henry Pym gets more grief even today for having hit the Wasp once after he was exposed to mind altering chemicals thatn Wolverine does for being a mind controlled assassin who killed hundreds. WTH?

I just thought of something. Henry Pym gets more grief even today for having hit the Wasp once after he was exposed to mind altering chemicals thatn Wolverine does for being a mind controlled assassin who killed hundreds. WTH?

Wolverine makes Marvel money. Heny Pym does not. QED.

I'll agree it sucks.

having killed Northstar-

Oy. He killed Northstar? Gad, guess I'm glad there's a lot going on in comics I didn't know about.

Edit: I just thought of something. Henry Pym gets more grief even today for having hit the Wasp once after he was exposed to mind altering chemicals thatn Wolverine does for being a mind controlled assassin who killed hundreds. WTH?

True that. And he gets more grief than the Hulk, the rampaging monster. :rolleyes:

He killed tons of people when he was under Hydra control yet has been welcomed back with open arms. I'm sorry but "I was mind controlled" just doesn't cut it. I don't think anyone could ever trust him again or be comfortable around him.

Of course if we follow this logic no one would trust basically ANY Superhero by now. At least if we count attempted murder while under mind control.

Of course if we follow this logic no one would trust basically ANY Superhero by now. At least if we count attempted murder while under mind control.

Yes and No. It depends on the situation:

*A mind-controlled Powerman is about to splatter the non powered Crusader*

Crusader: I won't fight back! I KNOW that you're stronger than this and won't kill me!"

Powerman: I'll kill- ki- kill.... you.... Oh my God! What did I almost do!

Most people forgive there. Wolvie went on a damn rampage that killed hundreds in a rather efficient and controlled manner and lacking the typical mind control fog that we see in these comic book situations. Even those who would want to give the benefit of the doubt would always be fearful that he would go back. How do we know the brainwashing is gone? Can we take the chance?

Consider that he:

1. killed about 1000 Shield agents and other military personnel by sinking a warship.

2. Killed a fellow Xman

3. Tried to kill the President of the US by hijacking Cerebro (and got that tech by threatening Phoenix that he would kill the X students)

4. Infiltrated the Fantastic Four building to steal plan for world devestating technology.

Sorry but Wolvie wouldn't get a by. People might try to forgive him, but no one would ever work with him again. No one would want to take the chance. Yet in the end he goes on because he makes money.

It's like Star Trek - Data succeeded in taking over the Enterprise how many times?

I have to admit, I haven't heard of Wolverine killing hundreds of people - what were the circumstances?

Wolverine done well is a good character, who can be used to tell interesting stories.

Having said that if I never saw him in another comic ever again it wouldn't bother me at all. I stopped being interested in him in the mid-eighties and they haven't done anything for him that would make me change my mind since.