Your personal comic book origins

Starlord

What were the books that got you hooked on comics originally? Not necessarily your very first comic book, but the ongoing series (or perhaps story arc) that really made you stick with comics and start buying other titles.

I think the foremost ones for me would be the mid to late Avengers and Spider-Man comics.

Amazing Spider-Man 150 plus - The first Spider-clone, great art by Sal Buscema, John Romita, and Ross Andru.

Avengers 150 plus - Jack Kirby covers, Gerry Conway writing

Re: Your personal comic book origins

Various Archie comics really got me into the medium.

The occaisionaly superhero issue in a grab-bag pack and various TV shows started getting my interest up in superheroes. GI Joe #2 and X-Men #178 were the introductions that kept me interested and started me collecting. Secret Wars and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe exposed me to tons of characters, and it blossomed from there.

Grew and pretty steady till the early/mid 90's, then dropped out of getting new stuff, though would occaisionally get some back issues. Busiek/Perez Avengers relaunch got me interested again, and my collecting grew again for awhile, though it's started to slow down again over the past couple of years. Depending on how the "One Year Later" stuff looks, it might pick up again.

Doc sez...

My introduction to comics and collecting them was the late 60's Teen Titans. I recall getting and reading the issue that have the Teen Titans battling an immortal who was trying to claim the children of a town based on an old agreement made by their ancestors.

However, it was the Legion of Superheroes from the pages of Superboy comics that hooked me. Its a pity that this beloved team has been punished again by yet another reboot.

Doc Tough

As actual up-to-date American comics were pretty uncommon in 1970's England I mainly read the available British reprints of older titles cropping up in things like Rampage! (any guesses as to which green-skinned behemoth that one featured?) or The Super Heroes and the weeklies published by Marvel UK, such as Captain Britain.

Like many a Brit I was also drawn into 2000 A.D. from the start, as well as the spin-off Starlord comic. A totally different experience from the American comics, although I missed those wonderful ads that the American comics had for such unknown exotic items as Twinkies and Spalding basketballs. I once impressed a basketball-loving girlfriend by the fact that I knew who Dr J was; I failed to mention that I'd only encountered him in comicbook ads...

My mom made my brother give me a few comic books. He looked through his collection (which was very small) and gave me some issues of The Eternals. I loved the stories more than the art. It wasn't until many, many years later that I came to appreciate the Kirby art; Just wasn't a style I liked originally.

The Fantastic Four. I liked the cockiness of the Human Torch, despite the fact that most of the issues I had rarely made him the hero; It was almost always Reed or The Thing. Hanging around with my brother and cousin, I think I could empathize.

The Hulk. I had just started getting issues when the TV Series came up. I was already a big enough geek to point out all the differences between the TV show and the comics ;)

I remember reading various comics that I encountered as a kid, but never really "got into" comics until I got to college.

The first comic I bought for myself was the first volume of "You're Under Arrest" by Kosuke Fujishima, better known for creating "Oh! My Goddess!" (yes, I'm going on about manga again. sorry)

It was . . . different. In a good way. I had trouble distinguishing between the main characters until I adjusted to the different art style, but I enjoyed the energy, and the character interaction.

The second book I bought, if I remember correctly, was the first volume of Battle Angel Alita. That's the one that got me hooked on manga. I loved it, and I've never looked back.

Zeropoint

The first Comic Book I remember getting and Reading was GIANT SIZED THOR Comic and GIANT SIZED SPIDERMAN comic. Giant sized Thor was the one where he battled Hercules and Odin took his power from him in mid fight. The Giant Sized Spiderman was the one where Mole Man and a Underground Lady was fighting at the winter olympics. They made Hulk and Spiderman join each others team and played Hockey (With FREAKEN LASER BEAMS). I really didnt start collecting Comics until the 80's. When Secret Wars and Marvel RPG came out.

I remember reading alot of spiderman as a kid, but my mom threw them all away. The comic that brought me back was Marvel Team Up with the Thing. I loved Ben Grim and the issue in generel had Thundra wrestling Titania 1.

I was....impressed.

Legion of Superheroes. Before Levitz came on, and then the Levitz run.

This is the big one, it was everything I wanted in comics. But they didn't put out enough issues for me so I also read:

Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps.

Superman.

Batman.

Teen Titans, then the New Teen Titans

Years later, around 80 I found a few marvel titles I liked.

X-men (pre title Explosion)

New Mutants.

I tended towards the Scifi comics.

I first came to the US from Germany in the early 70's at the age of 7 (yes, Guz is an immigrant). The first American comic I remember reading is Ghost Rider and I was quickly hooked. It didn't take me long after that to discover Spider Man and Daredevil.

What were the books that got you hooked on comics originally? Not necessarily your very first comic book' date=' but the ongoing series (or perhaps story arc) that really made you stick with comics and start buying other titles.[/quote']For me, it was Hawkman pure and simple. I loved the character and it wasn't until I purchased my first issues that I realized his wings weren't actually a part of him. (That was a bit saddening, but I got over it.) From there it went to Secret Origins, Justice League, and Suicide Squad.

Avengers 150 plus - Jack Kirby covers' date=' Gerry Conway writing[/quote']:rockon: Hooyah for Jack Kirby! I like the New Gods as well, though I thought the writers didn't do them properly.

Legion of Superheroes and the old black & white Marvel collections, the ones that were the size of paperbacks. I loved those. Started picking them up before I was ten.

Superman, the JLA, the LoSH, the Defenders, the Avengers, and the Fantastic Four.

The X-Men and such came much later for me.

I was at a summer camp when I was about twelve or so and one of the kids had a stack of black and white reprints of "Justice League" which he let the rest of us read. (This was "Justice League Of America" repackaged in black and white for the Australian market, would have been about 1960 or so ) When I got back home I started to get the black and white reprint "Justice League" and "Flash" then the colour "JLA". One day, coming home from visiting my mother who was in hospital , I purchased "Avengers 10" to read on the bus. I have "given up comics" and restarted reading them a couple of times since. It was the "Crisis On Infinite Earths" that got me back most recently.

I had read random comics here and there, but nothing serious, until my (new) best friend in high school loaned me all of his X-men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Avengers, West Coast Avengers, etc. etc. to read. I started with Classic X-Men #1 and read from that point on. Wow. I read so many comics that summer. When I was finished, the X-men were in the midst of the Inferno storyline! :)

Wow, that was a blast. I lost touch with comics around the Phalanx Covenant storyline. I've read some here and there since, but they haven't captured my interest since then.