Fantasy art

Storn

This is NOT the fantasy hero cover.

It is a cover for a d20 product... but since it has a prototypical adventure party... maybe someone would find some use for it for one of their games.

Client: Open World Press

title: I'm afraid I'm not sure of the final title of the product.

Originally posted by Blackout

Mr. Cook, have you ever considered comic books? Just curious...

sure. I wanted to be a comic artist before discovering I loved to paint in art school. And have quite a bit of theory and practice in comic pencil craft. If i can get someone to hire me to pencil, paint my own comic, I'm there.

• 6 years later...

Re: Fantasy art

What makes that pic worse isn't that the tentacled woman is pretending to be human' date=' it's that the victim in the water is only a little girl. :(:thumbdown:shock:[/quote']

I agree. It is creepy, but I like to think that it looks like the child (or small person) is still alive and the group will act to save her...if they hurry!

• 7 months later...

So, like I said elsewhere, long absence from posting up artwork. Colds, large NDA projects, laziness etc etc. But the other significant thing that happened (besides setting a date for my upcoming re-nuptials) is that I got a new monitor for my birthday. My old one was really starting to go. And I've been dumbstruck at the art that I produced on the old monitor. My Art Directors must think I have no sense of value. My new monitor has been calibrated and the artwork done on the old monitor looks AWFUL to me.

But let's have an experiment. Let's see if the new monitor is actually doing its job.... or do I have to tweak its settings even more.

So. I'm posting up some recent artwork, some of the last done on the old monitor... and then a version of the same artwork "tweaked" on my new monitor. I tried to get version 2 as close as I could to version 1 on the new monitor. Which is better, versions 1 or versions 2. Versions 1 are old monitor, V2's are new monitor. Let my public speak and chime in on what works on all the aggregate monitors out there on the intrawebs!

So first up, we have Neko in Hell. I did a pic of Neko many years ago as a private commission.... and as a bigger Xmas commission, now we have Neko going down into hell to rescue her betrothed.

version 1

NekoHell72.jpg

version 2

NekoHellIII72.jpg

Next we have Dehna, a shadowy rogue.

version 1

Dehna72.jpg

version 2

Dehna72II.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

It's a bit harder to tell in the second set of pics, but the colors are definitely better in the V2's. They look grayer and washed out in the V1's.

I'm using a dinosaur-grade monitor here at work, so what I'm seeing is probably not even close to how it should look, but I'd still say the V2's are better.

For me, V2 is a clear winner. I'm not seeing a lot of lost detail and the colours are far more vibrant. Though they are almost over-saturated .. perhaps a teensy bit more brightness?

Perhaps more importantly, though, the first pic has far more depth in version 2: I didn't really grock that the characters were supposed to be in a cavern on first glance at V1 whereas it is instantly obvious in V2. The depth/contrast makes the central figures "pop" in a way they don't in V1.

As an aside, I've thought for years, that you were going for a deliberately pale, desaturated style as your signature. It only now occurs to me that might have been a purely technical effect! :)

cheers, Mark

My search for getting my new monitor's settings to something that works well has been ongoing. But thanks to help from Aledin over on the ArtOrder site that I started a wee little blog on this particular problem, I think I've gotten much closer to getting it nailed.

So, let's revisit Neko in Hell, now under the NEWER settings... I tweaked it to look good on my monitor and as close to what I originally wanted on the old monitor.

NekoHellIV72.jpg

And here is a private commission that was done completely under the newer settings.

Ferdinand72.jpg

And here is a piece that was tweaked under the new settings, but was done completely on the new monitor. This one I spent some time on, multi figures do eat up the time!

DragonThrone72-1.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

As an aside' date=' I've thought for years, that you were going for a deliberately pale, desaturated style as your signature. It only now occurs to me that might have been a purely technical effect! :)[/quote']

You aren't the only one! The above is precisely what I was thinking!!!!

Oh, and V2 is zounds! better.

This is the weapon I designed and then commissioned from the talented Wen-M.

It came about in a short story I wrote that involved Hermit's World of Warcraft Dwarven Priest, Ethrim.

I based it off of some comments that our guild patron Ingedee is some sort of Patron Goddess of Brewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37678[/ATTACH]

It came about in a short story I wrote that involved Hermit's World of Warcraft Dwarven Priest, Ethrim.

I based it off of some comments that our guild patron Ingedee is some sort of Patron Goddess of Brewing.

well, I like it, but I'm biased.

well' date=' [i']I[/i] like it, but I'm biased.

I like it too, and I can't claim bias... :D

I love the warm light that it's emnating from it, makes me think of how magical christmas was when i were little!icon11.png