Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

"No doubt."

You know, for a guy who IIRC isn't crazy about the paladin class, Rich really made an interesting collection of individuals in the Saphire guard. Miko was everything that could go wrong with Paladins short of turning Blackguard, Hinjo actually has a sense of humor and is decent, and O-Chul is just too bad ass for words.

Re: Order of the Stick

The original phrase is 'hang a lantern', it seems to have become 'hang a lampshade' in recent years. It has an entry on tv tropes, if you want a full explanation: short version: (From tv tropes):

Often used when a writer tries to excuse or explain a plot element that's unlikely or overused by drawing attention to it. Also known as "hanging a clock on it", "hanging a lantern on it", or "spotlighting it". The version used in the Mutant Enemy bullpen was the 'lampshade' version, so it grabs the title.

E.g., having a character say "This idea is so crazy, it just might work!" or "I feel like I'm in a badly written TV show."

This can be a "Message from Fred," i.e., a message from the writer's subconscious that this plot element is, frankly, stupid. On the other hand, done well, it can be an entertaining piece of Fourth Wall breakage or momentary lack of Genre Blindness. It can also be used to take care of Fridge Logic. Meta Trope Intro compares it with many other ways that a trope can be used.