Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

If there hadn't been a Belkar in just about every game I've ever played in' date=' I would agree that he has no place anymore with the OotS. But there has been, so he does. He's the guy who just can't ever treat NPCs as "real," a combat wombat who has to roll to hit at least once an hour while at the table. You keep him around because you're afraid of what might happen if he's left alone.[/quote']

Yeah. In some ways, those players (and IME, it's usually a function of the player, more than the character. Some people play a combat monster, then a total pacifist, but usually not. Anyway.. . .) are very, very, very easy to deal with. I have had times where most of the group (if not all of them) were of that mentality, and I found that I really didn't have to work on the campaign world at all. International politics, bandit raids on merchant caravans disrupting vital medical supplies, little girls looking for their lost puppy - it didn't matter to them. I really could have pulled out the random encounter tables and just started tossing dice.

It was a nice break, for a while. Eventually, the group dynamics changed before I got tired of it, but it did feel more like playing a wargame than a RPG.

Not exactly... they're both Chaotic, but Celia is even more appalled at Belkar's behavior than Haley is.

JG

I thought Celia was Lawful?

In any case, I still maintain that she is more like Belkar than either is like Haley.

Belkar and Celia alike make no distinction between killing the Gnome, and killing the Hobgoblin.

Lucius Alexander

What alignment is the palindromedary? All of them!

If there hadn't been a Belkar in just about every game I've ever played in' date=' I would agree that he has no place anymore with the OotS. But there has been, so he does.[/quote']

I've booted any player that came off that way, so I'm in the camp that thinks they should boot Belkar. His antics are the main reason I stopped reading the stip for quite a while (Roy's Death brought me back).

Boy, the Monster in the Darkness certainly comes off as a nice cell mate. If he is Evil, it's a childish, self involved evil rather than Belkar's homicidal power-gaming or Xykon's Evil for entertainment.

I'm still wondering what he is. I'd think he was a fragment of the Snarl, except that the explorers who caught him seemed to recognize his species.

I can't help recalling some argle bargle on the GiTP forums about the evilness (or otherwise) of various characters. There were those who wanted to argue that the MiTD wasn't evil, and the response was to bring up the "kid's meals." Rich Burlew is going out of his way to specifically contradict the one specific evidence of the MiTD's evil that we have,

I doubt that was done for the sake of a few jokes.

But hey, what do I know?