Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Someone want to tell me WHY a captive paladin is kept with their supersecret weapon??

Lucius Alexander

Inquiring palindromedaries want to know

Well, it isn't like Mr. Stiffly doesn't already know about their 'supersecret' weapon. :)

Latest one is not as funny, but sort of cute.

Monster Paladin bonding is warm and fuzzy

Someone want to tell me WHY a captive paladin is kept with their supersecret weapon??

Because there is no possible way that a paladin could find some way to use their supersecret weapon against them. I mean, first he would have to befriend the monster and earn its trust. Maybe by playing Monopoly or something.

Except they can't, because the monster lost that money. And some of the tiles from Scrabble. I wonder if the game with the red and white stones is Go. Any guesses?

I would have expected the paladin to be kept in solitary...

but I'm sure redcloak has a "logical" reason for the arrangement. Just as he did for letting prisoners live after seeing a live paladin thwart him....

Lucius Alexander

Hang a lampshade on a palindromedary

Honestly, I don't think the monster will switch teams. I'm predicting a tragedy where the monster will have to eat O-chul. I mean, if he switched, he'd be allowed to show himself, and that would be an awfully big change.

Oh, and the game described is pretty obviously Othello, a.k.a. Reversi (don't know if the prior questions were serious or not)

Honestly, I don't think the monster will switch teams. I'm predicting a tragedy where the monster will have to eat O-chul. I mean, if he switched, he'd be allowed to show himself, and that would be an awfully big change.

Oh, and the game described is pretty obviously Othello, a.k.a. Reversi (don't know if the prior questions were serious or not)

Othello is a Western brand for what Japanese call "Go."

JG

I would have expected the paladin to be kept in solitary...

but I'm sure redcloak has a "logical" reason for the arrangement. Just as he did for letting prisoners live after seeing a live paladin thwart him....

Lucius Alexander

Hang a lampshade on a palindromedary

Wait, did you try to imply that Xykon is logical?

Redcloak, sure, but...he probably thinks the monster will kill O-Chul if he tries to escape.

Red's smart but, like Miko, blinded by ideology.

Virtually the same game except for the board size. Go is played on a 19x19' date=' 13x13 or 9x9 board. Reversi (Othello) is played on an 8x8 board, which is irritating because it can result in a 32-32 tie. :mad:[/quote']

Huh, I never considered them to be particularly alike. They use similar boards, but in go you play on the intersections, in reversi you play in the boxes. In go you use pebbles/stones/markers that are all of one colour, whereas in Reversi you use markers that have contrasting colours on the two sides. In go you capture peices by totally surrounding them, in reversi you capture peices by having one of your on either side of them. And when you capture a peice in go you remove it from the board. In reversi you, well, reverse it. They are also scored very differently.

To me at least they are about as similar as chess and checkers. Similar boards used in different ways, with different peices that are played in different ways. If anything chess and checkers are more similar, as they use the same board, whereas go and reversi by default at least use different size boards.

It seems more likely that the game referred to in the strip is go than reversi/othello. Go has an ancient history in the orient (which at least seems to be the basis of O-Chul's culture). Reversi was invented by a couple of Englishmen around 1880. Though the current base Othello rules were indeed invented by a Japanese man. In 1971.

Wait, did you try to imply that Xykon is logical?

Redcloak, sure, but...he probably thinks the monster will kill O-Chul if he tries to escape.

Red's smart but, like Miko, blinded by ideology.

Yeah, I'm guessing that Monster-san is right next to O-Chul as a guard.