Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

I can't get over how similar Celia and Belkar are morally, in contrast to Haley. Perhaps Mr. Burlew is trying subtly to show up the limitations of the whole alignment system?

Lucius Alexander

So, what alignment is a palindromedary?

I can't get over how similar Celia and Belkar are morally, in contrast to Haley. Perhaps Mr. Burlew is trying subtly to show up the limitations of the whole alignment system?

Lucius Alexander

So, what alignment is a palindromedary?

Not exactly... they're both Chaotic, but Celia is even more appalled at Belkar's behavior than Haley is.

JG

Not exactly... they're both Chaotic, but Celia is even more appalled at Belkar's behavior than Haley is.

JG

Yeah. I think much more he's showing how alignment isn't a straitjacket. It's not 'nine personality types' -- it's general ordering of behaviour, but doesn't dictate actions or personality. Celia and Haley are probably both chaotic good, but you couldn't have two more different reactions to various things, including Belkar's casual killing.

I know it's already been hashed over' date=' but add me to the list of people who no longer see Belkar as ammusing or at all redeemable after he killed the old man.[/quote']

Yeah, Belkar has made me laugh my butt off plenty of times. He was my guilty pleasure.

But he needs to go. HOW he needs to go, I trust to Rich's excellent story telling skills. Judging by the Oracle's comment about birthdays, I think Rich already has something in mind for Belkar's end.

Part of me shall miss that little 'sexy shoeless god of war', but the rest knows he's just gone too dark for me. Redcloak is less evil at this point imo.

Is there a new one up? I was just on the site and the only one I saw was O-Chul's "My duty is to endure" one.

Also, I think you guys are being too tough on poor Belkar. I mean, if killing a few innocent people is all it takes to be evil, then I'm evil too!

Oh, right. Nevermind. Ah-heh. :o

Is there a new one up? I was just on the site and the only one I saw was O-Chul's "My duty is to endure" one.

Also, I think you guys are being too tough on poor Belkar. I mean, if killing a few innocent people is all it takes to be evil, then I'm evil too!

Oh, right. Nevermind. Ah-heh. :o

Don't feel left out...

When you get your own webcomic, we'll call for your destruction as well ;)

I know it's already been hashed over' date=' but add me to the list of people who no longer see Belkar as ammusing or at all redeemable after he killed the old man.[/quote']

Amusing, yes. Redeemable, no. It's not like Xykon is supposed to be redeemable and I find him amusing as hell.

JG

If they replace Belkar with O-Chul, I'd be happy. I don't see that happening.

And, I don't see Belkar going away. He's the "Hack & Slash" PC and the fact that there aren't more of him in the Order surprises me.

That being said, I could see the "Order's" charter changing; Elan and Haley could retire together, Belkar could get his just deserts, Roy could simply not come back to life, Durkon could finally get home and Vaarsuvius could find him/herself at the wrong end of a spell (or longwinded monologue).

We'll see I guess.

I don't see Belkar's killing of the gnome as any more evil than many of the other killings he has done. The nasty little bugger is like a Cuisinart of Death, exposed to innocents and without an owner's manual. Really, he should be kept in chains until such time as he can be pointed at an enemy, then set loose in the hopes that he kills people on the correct side, and can then be either recaptured or is killed.

But yeah, he is a caricature of the Hack-n-Slash style of play, so it is unlikely that he is going away soon.

But can we get more silver spandex on those costumes?

I don't understand why Belkar is so hated. Yes, he likes killing things. Has since the very beginning. He pretty much seems to be a 2nd Ed character brought into 3.5... XP is only gained for killing, so that is what he loves to do.

I don't understand why Belkar is so hated. Yes' date=' he likes killing things. Has since the very beginning. He pretty much seems to be a 2nd Ed character brought into 3.5[/quote']

He IS a 2nd Edition character brought into 3rd. He's a Halfling and still has bare feet. :D

JG

I don't understand why Belkar is so hated. Yes' date=' he likes killing things. Has since the very beginning. He pretty much seems to be a 2nd Ed character brought into 3.5... XP is only gained for killing, so that is what he loves to do.[/quote']

Oh, mark my words, he's hilarious, the very definition of 'Funny, but wrong', but before now, his violence has been very well directed by Roy to kill mostly those opposing the OoTS at least in the Presence of the OotS (He did butcher his way into the Barbarian's Guild). The death of the gnome crossed a line, imo. Haley couldn't stop it, the gnome was a true innocent in almost every sense of the word, and taking away the chocolate bar seemed to do little.

Perhaps death isn't the best thing for Belkar, he still could be lots of fun as a bad guy, but the Order of the Stick needs to disassociate themselves from him

Oh, mark my words, he's hilarious, the very definition of 'Funny, but wrong', but before now, his violence has been very well directed by Roy to kill mostly those opposing the OoTS at least in the Presence of the OotS (He did butcher his way into the Barbarian's Guild). The death of the gnome crossed a line, imo. Haley couldn't stop it, the gnome was a true innocent in almost every sense of the word, and taking away the chocolate bar seemed to do little.

Perhaps death isn't the best thing for Belkar, he still could be lots of fun as a bad guy, but the Order of the Stick needs to disassociate themselves from him

Bingo.

If there hadn't been a Belkar in just about every game I've ever played in, I would agree that he has no place anymore with the OotS. But there has been, so he does. He's the guy who just can't ever treat NPCs as "real," a combat wombat who has to roll to hit at least once an hour while at the table. You keep him around because you're afraid of what might happen if he's left alone.

If there hadn't been a Belkar in just about every game I've ever played in' date=' I would agree that he has no place anymore with the OotS. But there has been, so he does. He's the guy who just can't ever treat NPCs as "real," a combat wombat who has to roll to hit at least once an hour while at the table. You keep him around because you're afraid of what might happen if he's left alone.[/quote']

Did I ever tell you guys about the one Champions campaign where our GM wanted to run a four-color group and one of the guys made a Predator?

JG

If there hadn't been a Belkar in just about every game I've ever played in' date=' I would agree that he has no place anymore with the OotS. But there has been, so he does. He's the guy who just can't ever treat NPCs as "real," a combat wombat who has to roll to hit at least once an hour while at the table. You keep him around because you're afraid of what might happen if he's left alone.[/quote']

I concur.

he's the kind of character played by the sort that favors Chaotic Neutral for his characters, because CN lets him "Do whatever he wants without violating my alignment".