Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

O-Chul gets darn few lines, but I'm more and more impressed by him. Daily interrogations? Constant death struggles where he strives not just to survive, but take down the monster who destroyed the city he loves (However futile that might be)?

I hope the Monster in darkness' wish turns out to be right, and O-Chul DOES end up with a happy ending after all.

I hope the Monster in darkness' wish turns out to be right' date=' and O-Chul DOES end up with a happy ending after all.[/quote']

He almost has to at this point. Aside from the needs of comedy and drama, for all we know the MitD really does have the power to make things come true by wishing hard enough. Evil Goth Girl may have been inappropriately sarcastic.

He almost has to at this point. Aside from the needs of comedy and drama' date=' for all we know the MitD really does have the power to make things come true by wishing hard enough. Evil Goth Girl may have been inappropriately sarcastic.[/quote']

He's demonstrated a hell of a lot of power before.

JG

I'm actually somewhat liking Redcloak. He and Roy have more in common than he and Xyklon.

Makes sense. He and Roy are both Lawful. Xyklon is Chaotic. The difference between Good and Evil is frequently less than the difference between Lawful and Chaotic. At least at the level of how you act. :)

When O-Chul dies' date=' since even under such heavy torture, is still completely loyal to his city and gods. HE has a VERY VERY nice afterlife.[/quote']

Hopefully he gets a good ending while still alive too, but I agree that he doesn't have anything to worry about on the afterlife side of things. :)

Makes sense. He and Roy are both Lawful. Xyklon is Chaotic. The difference between Good and Evil is frequently less than the difference between Lawful and Chaotic. At least at the level of how you act. :)

The Good/Evil dichotomy is a classic, of course, but Moorcock was going for something different when he made Law and Chaos the major factions of the Eternal Champion universe. I've always thought that D&D was wasting potential by not playing up the Law/Chaos thing more.

The Good/Evil dichotomy is a classic' date=' of course, but Moorcock was going for something different when he made Law and Chaos the major factions of the Eternal Champion universe. I've always thought that D&D was wasting potential by not playing up the Law/Chaos thing more.[/quote']

Considering that was the inspiration behind alignment -- hence the name. It wasn't just how you acted, it was whether you were on the side of law or chaos. It's just that in almost every D&D world, there WAS no conflict between eternal law and eternal chaos, whereas there was between eternal good and eternal evil. Therefore, lawful and chaotic PCs could get along, whereas Good and Evil PCs... not so much.

Considering that was the inspiration behind alignment -- hence the name. It wasn't just how you acted' date=' it was whether you were on the side of law or chaos. It's just that in almost every D&D world, there WAS no conflict between eternal law and eternal chaos, whereas there was between eternal good and eternal evil. Therefore, lawful and chaotic PCs could get along, whereas Good and Evil PCs... not so much.[/quote']

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. The local Lawful Good king is more likely to ally with the neighboring elf kingdom against the Chaotic Evil archmage and his orc cohorts than he is to ally with the orcs against the archmage and the elves.

The Planescape setting kinda subverted that. Various Factions were more concerned with promoting order or anarchy than they were about good and evil. You frequently saw lawful good and lawful evil NPCs working hand-in-hand. Plus, the three major supplements were "Planes of Law," "Planes of Chaos," and "Planes of Concordance" rather than Good, Evil, and Neutrality.

Not nearly to the degree that Morcock wrote about, of course, but it was there... :)

the Warlords of the Accordlands is another setting where law and chaos are a bigger deal than good and evil. for instance, the Lawful Good Dwarves and the Lawful Evil Deverenians have made an alliegence (after some initial problems, of course) while the Lawful Evil Nothrog and the Chaotic Evil Elves normally can't stand each other. then again, no one likes the Elves, even the Nuetral Good humans (the only race to be neutral on the Law/Chaos axis). The Lawful Evil Black Sun Paladins and the Lawful Good Aroch Paladins have joined forces on occassion to eliminate threats that cross them both (because its honorable, and the only people they hold to be nearly as honoerable as their own numbers are those of the opposing group). pretty cool stuff.