The Inconceivables!

Hermit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Inconceivables!

I'm surprised too. I mean, that's one of the reasons I chose the name instead of "The Implausibles!"

:)

Huh... brain eatting atomic zombie maybe... Toxic Avenger was atomic, but he wasn't a zombie... so I don't think it's been done.

Atomic Zombie sounds good, it rolls off the tongue.

Good guy Brain in a jar?

How about a twitchy nerdy British guy with a chin beard and a slight paunch, wearing a badly put together lycra outfit. He's constantly nervy and appears ill at ease and unfamiliar with the local culture. He will tell anyone who cares to listen that he's been abducted from his homeworld and left here by forces unknown. He is known to giggle hysterically whenever he meets a new superhero or villain.

Physically he's unremarkable but has a unique and instinctive psionic ability that allows him to rewrite a target's psych limitations & personality generally with the unusual modifier that it works on large groups of people at once with invisible power effects (so no one within the affected group realises that everyone is now acting way out of character).

He doesn't have a code name yet, but when using his powers he has been known to yell "It's Millar time!"

By the way, Hermit, repped and deservedly so.

Good guy Brain in a jar?

That was my thought as well. Hook it up to the group's base computers, communications system, and security. Give it the personality of a domineering, overprotective mother, with a dash of overcompensating stage mom, always pushing her charges to perform and look good doing it. :eg:

Just keep the Atomic Zombie away from her. :eek:

Excellent stuff, Hermit! I'd Rep you,were it not for that pesky "You must spread" thing.

By the way, if you're looking for more females on the team, why couldn't the clown be female? Oh, yeah, because then she'd be Harley Quinn. Never mind.

It's not easy been green thought the alien teenager. His tiny flying saucer was small enough to go through doorways, but luckily very few people tried to throw it like a frizbee.

Normally, this would be fun work, but lifting things with tractor beams and fusing things together with heat rays gets a bit tedious. Still it was worth the quatloos he was earning, or dollars, or whatever the currency this planet had. He was getting gathering a crowd of people around him, he turned on his universal translator and broadcast speakers.

"Hello. Don't not be alarmed. I pose no threat to your fragile meat bodies but distance must be maintained." The machanical voice told the crowd.

The crowd actually moved a little closer, was this thing even working? He tapped the controls on the targeting controls on the heat ray and targetted a nearby worthless trashcan, turning the knob to vaporize, his pressed the button. The trashcan was hit by the beam, shimmered as turned from solid, liquid, and finally to gas within a fraction of a second.

That cause everyone to leave quite rapidly. I got to learn English.

I believe that there actually *is* a hero rat-swarm intelligence who occasionally gets featured on Quote of the Week....
Yes, there was, but it's... welll, we're still not sure what actually happened to it. I suppose I could always plug it into Hero Designer and post it's stats.

• 6 months later...

Yeah' date=' speaking of which how about some write-ups of these heroes?! Abolex kind of reminds me of Yu'Genothorax from the first Champions Universe book.[/quote']

Abolex

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

40 STR 30 40 17- HTH Damage 8d6 END [4]

20 DEX 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

24 CON 28 24 14-

10 BODY 0 10 11-

11 INT 1 11 11- PER Roll 11-

18 EGO 16 18 13- ECV: 6

25 PRE 15 25 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

10 COM 0 10 11-

18 PD 10 18 18 PD (10 rPD)

18 ED 13 18 18 ED (10 rED)

4 SPD 10 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

13 REC 0 13

48 END 0 48

42 STUN 0 42

6" Running 0 10"

2" Swimming 0 2"

8" Leaping 0 8" Total Characteristics Cost: 153

Cost Powers END

14 Many Tentacled Thing from Beyond: Elemental Control, 28-point powers

16 1) Long enough to make -you- my very best friend: Stretching 6" (30 Active Points)

14 3) Moving in that funky tentacled style: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) Running +4" (10" total), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (13 Active Points) (Real Cost: 13) plus Swinging 10", Usable as Leaping (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 15)

16 4) Watch me work my thangs: Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; AE: 1 Hex, Autofire, X 1 and 1/2 kb; +3/4) for up to 40 Active Points of Strength (30 Active Points)

6 There could be more for all I know: Extra Limbs (10), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points) 0

62 Telepathic: Telepathy 8d6 (Human, Alien (But not atomic zombies) and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points) 2

25 I Feel you, you feel me, it's all good: Mind Link , Human, Alien...but not Atomic Zombies and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds, Any Willing Target 0

10 Can take it rough but likes it slow: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) 0

12 Just keeping Mellow and doing his thing: +25 PRE (25 Active Points); Only for Defense (-1)

Skills

3 +1 with strike, grab, or haymaker

5 Seduction 15-

2 Language: American English (Native Tongue is an unspeakable dance of chaos and insanity that would warp your fragile mind) (fluent conversation)

2 Language: Japanese (fluent conversation)

3 KS: What is cool, and what is not 11-

2 KS: The Unspeakable Horrors out there that frankly, are just embarrasing to be related to 11-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 192

Total Cost: 345

200+ Disadvantages

15 Dependent NPC: The woman (women) he's with, "old Abe is always there for the ladies" 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

20 Distinctive Features: An unspeakable multi-tentacled thing from beyond! With really LONG tentacles...omg (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction (horror(or at least concern) in most men, intrigues most women); Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Hunted: Idiots who keep trying to serve him seeing him as a sign that "The stars are right at last!" 8- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

20 Hunted: Istvatha V'han 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture and... none of your business! The Empress need not share her plans with you)

10 Hunted: Other VIllaineses who didn't understand Abolex has just too much love for one woman 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Various angry husbands, boyfriends, and relatives of the fine ladies he's had the pleasure of knowing 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Physical Limitation: Has to use telepathy rather than speaking (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Has an eye (somewhere) for all the fine ladies, oh yeah (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of our world, because it is a funky happening and groovy place to be (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Remarkably Mellow, always tries to stay cool (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Reputation: Member of the The Inconceivables!, 8-

5 Social Limitation: Not a legally recognized resident of our dimension (Occasionally, Minor)

Total Disadvantages Points: 150

And now for the background and stuff

Background/History: Abolex, the many tentacled thing from beyond was not like the other things from beyond. Even when it was just a small glimmering sign of the universe's madness, it did not delight in rending fragile psyches of those hapless fools who parted the veil of reality to find the horrid truth. Other spawn of the Kings of Edom might pay as much heed to "lesser beings" as a hungry man might to a carrot, but Abolex, as soon as he learned of our world, grew fascinated, not with dreams of conquest, but belonging.

When a group of idiot cultists decided to try a summoning, sure that the 'Stars were right', they took it. Of course, the cultists were so stoned from fumes and beer they also thought 58 year old "Bertha Boudroix" was looking pretty good, mono brow aside, so obviously their astrological skills at this time were dubious. Nevertheless, they had sufficient ability to allow a thinning of the veil between what we know and what horrors await, and Abolex came on through and beheld...

the girl they were about to sacrifice to him. He was captivated, unlike the asymmetrical distortion of the Entropic worlds he dwelt in, she was QUITE symmetrical, and in the most pleasing way to the eye. There was a restful mix of order and artistry to this humanoid form, and he immediately realized it would be wrong to let it get snuffed by these losers who listened to WAY Too much blackmetal. He had to rescue her!

And he did; Abolex knocked the cultist out, carried the girl to the safety of her own place, and when she awoke, they... 'talked'. A singer named Barry White was playing on the entertainment center in the mortal's apartment. it too, enraptured him, so different from the sounds of a thousand minds snapping, so..groovy.

He's dedicated himself to the protection of this world ever since, because it is a very funky yet happening place.

Personality/Motivation: Abolex is a thing from beyond that breaks all the rules of being a thing from beyond. Where most entities he's related to are just not capable of interacting with humanity in a mutually healthy fashion, Abolex is the grand exception. He thinks people are a groovin' happening thing, and does not feel the same needs as other "things from beyond".

He especially appreciates the ladies. Perhaps in his attempt to escape his nature as something beyond mankind's reckoning, he has found in the female form something very groovy indeed. He is a ladies' man.. err.. ladies' thing, and his study of what's cool and groovy is largely motivated by the desire to please them so they might mutually please each other. It's not just plain lust, he wants the women to have a good time. However, Abe loves variety and avoids long term commitment, though he tries to be honest about that if pressed.

In the end though, Abolex is more than just some lecherous other dimensional being. He's genuinely already in love...with our world. The music of Barry White, the swaying of the trees in the wind, the groovy way everyone can just get together despite their differences. It's all good. Sure, try as he might, Abolex will probably never fully belong himself, but he keeps trying. In some ways, he sees the beauty of the day to day we take for granted.

For this reason, Abolex is determined to protect our reality from the likes of his elder kin. Abolex has seen the screaming void of entropy and meaninglessness that is the realm of the Kings of Edom, and frankly? It gets dull and repetitive even for those that aren't humanoid.

Quote: Hey there sexy thing, I'm Abolex the many tentacled thing from beyond, but call me Abe, all the really fine ladies get to.

Powers/Tactics: Abolex is a multi-tentacled thing from beyond. That really sort of covers it in general, but if you're looking for details, here goes. Abolex can stretch those tentacles a good distance (Though not as far as somethink, he's working on it), and use them to lash out repeatedly, rebuff (The extra KB option), and even bring down so many on the same spot that few can avoid it (The AE) without leaping to safety. He can also use those limbs to run quicker than many athletes, or even spring into the air, or swing from one flag pole to another. He is not as tough as many bricks, and there in lies one of his real weaknesses. His other is his relative slowness compared to some.. Abolex is a mellow guy, and he likes "Take it slow". Sometimes his teammates wish he would pick up the pace.

Abolex is a telepath, and many who know little about him are scared to death that the "Thing" will devour their very souls. Little do they know that Abolex is a telepath ONLY... he mostly uses his mental prowess just for communication, though he can read thoughts against a will if need be. This will likely change with time and experience.

Oh, for the record, Abolex's mental 'voice' sounds like Barry White. He didn't have to pay points for that, but perhaps in fairness, he should have :)

Because Abolex is actually an unspeakable thing of insanity inducing nature himself, he's not easily phased. He has embraced the path of mellowness, and it sustains him in the face of all but his most nightmarish kin.

His inhuman nature often causes men to flee, or reach for shotguns, but most women find themselves intrigued with the possiblities, even if they don't admit it. Abolex has become skilled at the art of seduction ,and one of the "battle plans" of the Inconceivables is to let Abolex be captured by a villainess, leave him for a day, then rescue him to see what he learned from pillow talk. Hellen finds the entire tactic degrading for all involved.

Campaign Use:Abolex is meant to be a humorous jab at Cthulu esque monsters, and "tentacle pron", though obviously the 'rating' of your games and what your players are comfortable with should help determine how much editing you do of Abolex's lifestyle. It is probably best just to show him charming many ladies, then disappearing with them for awhile, only to end up being hunted later on when it is found out he's just slept with Gargantua's little sister and now might need some help surviving.

Abolex might also be useful in learning secrets about the Kingdoms of Edom and other nightmarish realms. He is trying to move away from his past, but that doesn't change the fact that what tidbits he knows may just be of use to hard working mystics or hapless heroes needing a few clues.

On another 'serious' (Well, as serious as these guys get) note, Abolex, like all his team, can touch on elements of fitting in, about having the right to let choice, and not just nature pick your path. Abolex's horror inducing (to some) nature aside, PCs might find they like the guy and end up wishing him luck. And, more humorously, given Abolex's study of all things cool, they could do worse if they need advice in how to spruce up their own image or win a certain girl over.

Abolex is not a hunter by nature, far too mellow for that ,and while he often pursues superheroines to woo, he CAN take no for an answer and does so graciously. If for some reason he thought someone was about to open some dumb gate to his relations plane, he would try to stop them however.

If you want to make Abolex more powerful, well, please do. The points he's based on here are only to make him fit in the 'standard superhero' level. He probably should be built on yet more points with things like:

Power Defense

Mental Defense

Life Support (Though the idea of tentacles reaching out to grab some soul food and yanking it back to the shadowed where ever of whatever Abolex has for a mouth might be an amusing visual)

Regeneration

extra senses.

and more mental powers are definitely a logical extension, but one can continue down the brick path instead.

Five points have been left open to allow just a bit of customization as suits a GM (or player who plays him)

If you wish to make him weaker? Well, reducing his telepathy seems like a possibility. He mostly uses it for communication and that doesn't take much. Heck, you could make it for communication ONLY easily.

Appearance: Abolex is a ...well, I guess vaguely spherical.. very vaguely, with many tentacles.. at least 10... and they.. ya know? They writhe and move so much, he looks like a roundish collection of moist long black tentacles with.. forget it, I leave you to google as much or as little as you can stomach, you've been warned.

he often wears shades, but exactly where his eyes are is anyone's guess.

(GM NOTE: I left Abolex's comeliness at a 10, not just out of laziness, but because the reaction to him is based more on how 'not in reality' he fits to some, and the possibilities, to others..obviously, this can be tinkered with as suits (Buy down the Com, then buy it up with the limitation 'only vs women' etc) however you like, but I thought keeping it simple might be best)

I love all these guys. Way to go, Hermit.

I would love to chime in with an equivalent character concept. I even thought one up once, but then I forgot, so, no. Anyway, that's my story. I would love to write interior dialogue for Atomic Zombie, but in my head he's smarter than me (not that that's hard; plus he's actually read Richard Rorty), so, again, no.