What does OMEN stand for?

rjcurrie

Re: What does OMEN stand for?

It would help to have a few more details about the group: motivation and objectives, organization, methods and style, etc.

The name OMEN itself is "mystical" enough to be applicable to an occult group without being an acronym. Perhaps the group is following various omens or portents that they believe will lead to achieving their goals. They may even be trying to stage said omens themselves in the belief that this will bring about some prophecy. This can be a good way to allow the PCs to figure out what they're trying to do, and when and how to stop them.

I think it would make a good acronym if you could come up with something in Latin. That would make sense if you were going for a "18th/19th-century-style-European-occult-secret-society" feel. My Latin chops are far too rusty for me to make a serious stab at it, though.

Otherwise, I'd just leave it as a word.

Best of all, make up lots of different explanations for it, for your players to discover as they peel back the layers of deception that cloak the society's true motivations and origins.

I'm reminded of another naming tactic that I've seen suggested on the boards: the letters in OMEN are actually the first letters of the names of persons connected to the group in some way. Perhaps they're the four founders of the organization, living or dead; perhaps they're four demons or gods that the group is dedicated to.

Perhaps they aren't letters at all, or at least, not JUST letters. Each Symbol in the word is connected to some puzzle, riddle, or arcane secret... decipher them all, and you may find the key to the group's over all master plan

Of course, sanity checks maybe involved.

Minor point - note that acronyms are pretty much a 20th century invention - before that' date=' they just spelled things out.[/quote']

This is true. There are a few older ones, though. Like IXOYE (Greek for Fish) was an acronym for "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior".

Keith "pardon the lack of a proper Greek alphabet" Curtis

How about not an acronym, but an abbreviation? OMEN could be short for "The Ancient and Powerful Brotherhood of the Keepers of the Omen of Eternity" or somesuch.

Just like the Illuminati (or, the Bavarian Illuminati) used to be called "the Ancient, Illuminated Seers of Bavaria."

If it must be an acronym

Organisation of

Mystically

Evil

Nutcases

Then again maybe not

Maybe something that sound 'Latin' and 'Occult'

Oculus

Malignous

Emperious

Nox