Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

I would have thought a hat with feather. But that is a question of taste - he could look to much like three musketeers if he had one.

The Musketeers never (afaik) carried bows... ;)

I think it is a great piece of work, Storn. My only obervation is that the boots seem a little "flat" in detail -- but with the huge amount of detail in the rest of the image, I had to actually scan the whole image deliberately with a critical eye to notice that much. Your comment about the different textures is correct, and well translated into the artwork.

Maybe the feeling of "something missing" is due to the fact that none of the weapons are prominently worn/wielded like (imo) is more common in your work? Not a complaint at all, just an observation. :)

?

The Showgirl is another supervillain concept from Death Tribble. He wanted a demure costume if possible, but all the reference I could find had a lot of skin. She certainly is super doing a jump in heels... but hey, supers are fantasy. Do not try at home.

Showgirl72.jpg

And here is another fantasy commission for the "party of 5". Fantasy takes a bit more time than the superhero stuff.... I used to think it was just because of the level of detail, folds in clothes, lots of accoutrements like bags, weapons, belts, buckles. But while doing this one, I came to think that it is also the different textures things are... so it is not just the bags, belts, weapons and buckles, its those things have different "feels" to them visually... or should. This one took a bit longer than I would have liked and I'm still feeling like it's missing something.

Zoltan72.jpg

Pretty sure I went to college with that guy.

And the swordsman, too.

I didn't realize that Ruma was a woman at first either, but as noted earlier given the context many people probably would mistake her for a man, especially if she is supposed to be squared-jawed and muscular. You might try giving her a braided ponytail or something similar which would be a more feminine hairstyle, an probably more practical too. Nice artwork in any event.

I didn't realize that Ruma was a woman at first either' date=' but as noted earlier given the context many people probably would mistake her for a man, especially if she is supposed to be squared-jawed and muscular. You might try giving her a braided ponytail or something similar which would be a more feminine hairstyle, an probably more practical too. Nice artwork in any event.[/quote']

That is an excellent suggestion!! Yes, some men might also wear a ponytail, but in a fantasy setting I would tend to think female before male. Repped for the great idea!

Awww...man, thanks. That was my very first hero product. It is SOOOO rough, my art back then.... it is almost scary to look at. But I'm glad you saw something you like in it.

Moving to more up to date illos....

First up, another Death Tribble commission. This one is Skin Devil. Bodybrowser from Googlelabs was a huge help on this one. I think this one is really kinda creepy.

SkinDevil72.jpg

I think I had a model hit of him. ;)

You're right, he is creepy.

I thought I would share my continuing growing family of… Hobgoblins. Now a trio, soon to be a quartet.

HobTrio.jpg

And we’ve got some more private character concept commissions to show. First up are two from that longtime patron, Death Tribble. An American Moriarity and a “Skyshark” plane. American Moriarity described to me as “pulp, villain”… DT wasn’t expecting the mask, but I wanted to show some visual hinting at the american part of his description. For Skyshark, of course the p40 for the Flying Tigers was a big inspiration.

AmerMor72.jpg

Skyshark72.jpg

Lastly, we’ve got Tahiti Tex. And interesting take on a bunch of classics… the classic superhero brick, cowboy, hawaiian shirt and bullwhip… all combo’d into one hombre.

Tahititex72.jpg

And we’ve got some more private character concept commissions to show. First up are two from that longtime patron, Death Tribble. An American Moriarity and a “Skyshark” plane. American Moriarity described to me as “pulp, villain”… DT wasn’t expecting the mask, but I wanted to show some visual hinting at the american part of his description. For Skyshark, of course the p40 for the Flying Tigers was a big inspiration.

AmerMor72.jpg

Correction I was not expecting the American flag as a mask. A mask yes. But it does suit my need for an American version of Moriarty.

Skyshark72.jpg

My version of come fly the friendly skies......

Tiger beat me to the punch!

Thanks guys for the nice comments...

I finished the hobgoblin series for the Monster Art Kickstarter. I heard back from the client. I’m gonna get more! Wheee! Anyways, if you haven’t yet, check out the link to the Monster Art Kickstarter here, by last check, it has been funded, so I think they might add more monsters and art as they go along!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/monster-stock-art/posts/170997

And I wanna share the hobs with you right now!

Hobquartet.jpg

I did other stuff yesterday too. I finished up another commission for Death Tribble, which actually comes from a long time Hero poster, Arc. The idea for a Victor von Doom-like Witch Doctor. I pencilled and inked this one during a working lunch with awesome artist Steve Ellis. I think hanging out with Steve inspired me. Even borrowed the brush from him to do the inking. I like this one a lot. Fun to do African themed heroes and villains!

WitchDoctor72.jpg

Last, but not least (at least as work went yesterday), got a crack at doing a Lich for another commission. Went kinda dark on this one… digital over pencil. And I like it!! Hope y’all do too. In hindsight, might have pulled out the front gauntlet a bit more… but love the color on the staff gem.

Oeramm72-1.jpg

Just wanted to remind folks that I am selling prints and originals over at Fine Art. I just put up this pencil sketch on vellum. It was done for Other Worlds. Want to see if folks might be interested in buying my original sketches. I do sell quite a few of them at conventions.. but I don’t go to all that many conventions. Plus there are a few other pieces, some more suitable for printing. Check it out:

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

3Cthulhuthing72.jpg

I did other stuff yesterday too. I finished up another commission for Death Tribble, which actually comes from a long time Hero poster, Arc. The idea for a Victor von Doom-like Witch Doctor. I pencilled and inked this one during a working lunch with awesome artist Steve Ellis. I think hanging out with Steve inspired me. Even borrowed the brush from him to do the inking. I like this one a lot. Fun to do African themed heroes and villains!

WitchDoctor72.jpg

"As President-For-Life of Azambia, I approve of this portrait." the Witch Doctor...

"As President-For-Life of Azambia' date=' I approve of this portrait." the [b']Witch Doctor...[/b]

yeah. It is a bit nerve wracking, having to do that guy's portait, with that energy gauntlet glowing right at me. Glad he likes it!!!