Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

Hi folks. Hope you don't mind some self promotion here.

Trying to figure out a few things as I go along. I'm trying out an experiment with selling originals over the internet. I've got hundreds of sketches and inked drawings kicking around... and I sell some of them at conventions. But they do take up space and if they can find loving homes, and I can make a few bucks... that would be icing on cake!!!

So bear with me as I throw up the occasional older piece to see what will sell and what won't. If you have an suggestions of what you would like to see for sale from art I've put up in the past, don't be shy and shoot me a comment or email.

So, today, I'm putting up this fine inked drawing that I just did a few days ago for sale over at my Fine Art site. Site is here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

The art is this one, you will recognize from the color version I just put up recently. It is a brush ink drawing done on sketch paper. Nuthin' fancy.

WitchDoctorbw100.jpg

Also, while I'm being all self-promote-y, LPJ design just posted another one of my portfolios up. This time fantasy, containing some older stuff as well as some of the recent fantasy pics I've put up here. So, if you want good print quality images, instead of the 72 dpi guys you swipe here, check it out:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=99389

And a NEW pic certainly destined to be in a future fantasy portfolio is right here. Don't say I ain't givin' y'all sumthin' new to ponder!

Elwick72.jpg

So, a couple of nights ago, I had insomnia. I have insomnia quite a bit, I'm afraid. And I'm not even a night person. Nope, I'm of the dreaded few, a morning person. Often, it is good things that keep me awake... like musing on art.

I will turn and toss a piece of art around in my mind, bringing in colors and design elements, switching camera angle and thinking about setting and mediums. Inspiration can really keep me up nights.

The other day, I got a facebook message from Matt Forbeck, a great game designer and all around cool guy, about his new Kickstart project called Shotguns and Sorcery. Stupidly, I didn't go the project website or do any research. I was going to do that the next day as when I read the message, I was almost done for the working day. So. I went to bed with Matt's Shotguns and Sorcery title kicking around in my noggin and awoke at 3 in the morning.

And I came up with an image, the sketch below, which I thought was kinda cool. I manage to fall asleep for a bit, waking again at 7ish and went straight to the drawing board to jot down what I had worked out in my mind. I quickly scanned it in, jotted a few notes in photoshop and sent it to Matt. Problem is, it is TOTALLY wrong for Shotguns and Sorcery. Shotguns and Sorcery isn't a western-fantasy mash up, it is a Noir-Fantasy mashup. I should have read the site. But still, I like the sketch. Glad I did it. Maybe somewhere down the road a project might find a place for it to live.

And I thought y'all might like to see a quickie preliminary cover idea sketched out, along with how I think about stuff written in the margins. And get a chuckle out of my knuckle headedness.

Here is a link to Matt Forbeck's project:

And here is my erroneous sketch:

shotgunsorcpropsk72.jpg

Also, on a different tact, another superhero (or villain, not sure, didn't get that distinction in the art direction) for long time patron Death Tribble. Pencils were done over a couple of our "working lunches". Ethan Young and Steve Ellis are both local artists who've I've been hanging out with quite a bit. I did working lunch in quotations because, 1) we go a lot longer than lunch, 4-5 hours. 2) We actually get a lot done. It is almost like working in an old 30s-40s studio situation. So nice to have another couple of eyes looking at your work. The camaraderie is really nice and keeps one motivated. And we learn a lot from each other. I think we will be doing a lot more of it in the future.

Now, I just have to finish the 4-6 sketches that need to go to finishes!

Here is Supersuit:

Supersuit72.jpg

See y'all in a few!

Hi Storn. Are you planning to release any more superhero themed portfolio on the RPGNow website? I'm planning on making a card game based on 52 heroes/villains and it'd be great if I could Stornify it.

Yeah. I think the next one will be supers because I've done two fantasy in a row. Stay tuned.

Thanks for asking!!!

First up, we have an "indiana jones" like bard. That was in the art brief. I'll let y'all decide if I succeeded.

WilsonF72.jpg

Next up, we have Skip. Skip is single. He is a Mind Flayer (or Illithid among his own kind). He likes walks on the beach during sunny dawns. He loves puppies. He has a steady job as a top notch barber. He plays whist. And Ladies, he is a budding top notch amateur gourmet french cook.

Skip72.jpg

yup. another death tribble production!!

First up, we have an "indiana jones" like bard. That was in the art brief. I'll let y'all decide if I succeeded.

WilsonF72.jpg

Next up, we have Skip. Skip is single. He is a Mind Flayer (or Illithid among his own kind). He likes walks on the beach during sunny dawns. He loves puppies. He has a steady job as a top notch barber. He plays whist. And Ladies, he is a budding top notch amateur gourmet french cook.

Skip72.jpg

yup. another death tribble production!!

Nice bard! While I do like the glowing eyes Illithid, I am partial to the idea of Illithids having solid, glossy black eyes, perhaps like those of a shark... But it wasn't my commission. :)