Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Death Tribble and I discussed "Flag" characters, perhaps combining it with Power Armor Suit characters and how many countries never really got represented in comics. DT worked up a list of 15 countries, I took a look at their flags.

I settled on Kenya... liked the iconic Masai shield quite a bit and worked that into a power armor design. The other discussion that was happening on a few boards was females and power armor... how to do it, make it look practical, (in a paranormal sense and setting), yet still register as a female under all that muscle weave and servos. So I wove that element in as well... so here we have a female Power Armor suit from Kenya. Hope y'all like.

ArmourKF.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

She looks to be ideally poised to be holding spear-and-shield; was that a last minute deletion?

That would totally make the picture -- a glowing energy spear and shield? Hellzyeah. Especially 'cause I love how Storn does energy effects. :thumbup:

Love the effect that the gauntlets and bootsoles have on the length of limbs; distinctive' date=' but slightly unsettling. She looks to be ideally poised to be holding spear-and-shield; was that a last minute deletion?[/quote']

That would totally make the picture -- a glowing energy spear and shield? Hellzyeah. Especially 'cause I love how Storn does energy effects. :thumbup:

From what Storn said elsewhere no to both. If you like that it is ok.

But he was trying to avoid stereotypes and Spear and Shield for African is a shade too much to a stereotype.

From what Storn said elsewhere no to both. If you like that it is ok.

But he was trying to avoid stereotypes and Spear and Shield for African is a shade too much to a stereotype.

Yeah. Here is what I said over at the Atomic Think Tank forum about similar questions.... I think it is interesting that this has come up in a couple of different places.

DT, Storn... I want to use that pic for a power armor character for Kenya when I get there on my world tour. That ok? What other countries did you guys discuss? (I build at least one patriot/supersoldier per country, and a lot of them get power armor characters...)

If I may ask, why didn't you give her an actual shield?

It is fine by me.

Why no shield?

Because often with these flag characters, there is a tendency to try and boil down their country into a visual concept. I wasn't trying to do that. Just because Cap. America, probably the most famous flag character, has a shield and just because the Flag of Kenya has a shield... I resisted the urge to follow suit.

I really wanted to have "just" a Power Armor with a flag on it. Maybe because in a strange way, it is less expected. I wanted to present a sophisticated Kenyan female pilot/scientist... and didn't feel the need to make her a zulu warrior. Then it becomes a cliche.

If the hip thingees there pay homage to shields?...cool. As stated on another board, the stance looks shield and spear like?... cool.

But I didn't feel like I wanted to go directly at the stereotype.

A bit of a change of pace from the usual elves, wizards and superheroes... This is Dorothy (from Oz), but the client requested that she was older and that she have silver boots from the books...not ruby from the movies.

I had fun with this one.

Hope y'all like:

Dorothy72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

It's a pretty cool design. Very Victorian.

I've been busy putting together 3 Warlord cards for their anniversary set. Doing oil paints is very time consuming. But they are done and I can get back to the large pile of commissions waiting for me.

Here is the first. A playing card themed superhero (or villain, not sure):

facecard72.jpg

A one-man Royal Flush Gang. Cool.