CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Darren Watts

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

America needs a Eurostar Caliber supervillain team. (Sorry Ultimates)

Powerful and inexperienced would be nice. Also you could use them to draw some of the disparate CU threads together.

Basically, I need updates and long last write ups of mentioned teams such as the Fab 5 and the Sentinels...

America needs a Eurostar Caliber supervillain team. (Sorry Ultimates)

Powerful and inexperienced would be nice. Also you could use them to draw some of the disparate CU threads together.

Basically, I need updates and long last write ups of mentioned teams such as the Fab 5 and the Sentinels...

Could you explain what you mean by "Eurostar Caliber?" Is it just powerwise ('cause it looks like the Crowns of Krim are the team to beat in the States), or some kind of concept?

CU II is certainly giving us the contemporary Sentinels, but the Fabulous Five have been retired for many years (aside from Diamond, who's a Sentinel himself). Did you want something beyond the F5 historical articles in Digital Hero?

Things I'd like to see.

1. A US West Coast setting, the CU has the MidWest, East Coast and Southeast covered, I'd like to see a California setting (and a possible nod to Lucha Hero).

A mention of a fictional city setting in either California or the North West probably WOULD be a good idea. With Vibora Bay you have the supernatural. Millennium City has the high tech and silver age feel. Hudson City is gritty and Dark Champions central. If you put one in California (or make an island city off the coast of same) I would suggest something more for the celebrity factor of being a super hero trying to mix in a touch of Hollywood, perhaps with a rich history of being shaped by the heroes themselves behind the scene (Golden Age and on)

Well, I dunno... I thought that San Angelo covered the "western city" niche pretty well, including some of the factors you mention, Hermit. Admittedly it's not official Champions Universe, but it's fairly easy to drop in; and I haven't given up hope of seeing an eventual Fifth Edition version from Gold Rush Games.

Could you explain what you mean by "Eurostar Caliber?" Is it just powerwise ('cause it looks like the Crowns of Krim are the team to beat in the States), or some kind of concept?

CU II is certainly giving us the contemporary Sentinels, but the Fabulous Five have been retired for many years (aside from Diamond, who's a Sentinel himself). Did you want something beyond the F5 historical articles in Digital Hero?

I think the Crowns, while they certainly have the power, simply aren't "team" enough for my needs.

A mention of a fictional city setting in either California or the North West probably WOULD be a good idea. With Vibora Bay you have the supernatural. Millennium City has the high tech and silver age feel. Hudson City is gritty and Dark Champions central. If you put one in California (or make an island city off the coast of same) I would suggest something more for the celebrity factor of being a super hero trying to mix in a touch of Hollywood' date=' perhaps with a rich history of being shaped by the heroes themselves behind the scene (Golden Age and on)[/quote']OTOH with a city in the PNW you could have a TV-styled city (what I like to call "Plainclothes Champions"), where the heroes and villains usually don't wear costumes in the classic mold, powers are mostly one-note, and so forth.

How 'bout the Protectors?

:D

Hey, I had to say it. All bias aside, I'd love to see 'em updated at some point. Even if they're near and dear to my heart, I think they're a pretty classic team in that they represent each of the major superhero cliches, serve as templates for other basic characters, and are pretty distinct from the Champions in terms of style and design. And every comic book campaign needs at least a couple of hero teams that can turn bad, fight with the good guys, come to their senses, and combine to fight some bigger-than-is-reasonable bad guy, right?

Scott, if I thought that my support would make a difference, I would be totally behind this suggestion. :yes: The Protectors remain my favorite published Champions teams, and I know that more of us veterans feel similarly. Over and above neat character designs, great team composition and tactics, one of the coolest bases around, and your snazzy illustrations, the Protectors have that indefinable magic you just can't produce on demand.

Okay, here's a suggestion back at you: what's the chance of you getting a license from Hero Games to publish your Champions By The Bay manuscript? I've wanted to read that for years. :bounce:

How 'bout the Protectors?

:D

Hey, I had to say it. All bias aside, I'd love to see 'em updated at some point. Even if they're near and dear to my heart, I think they're a pretty classic team in that they represent each of the major superhero cliches, serve as templates for other basic characters, and are pretty distinct from the Champions in terms of style and design. And every comic book campaign needs at least a couple of hero teams that can turn bad, fight with the good guys, come to their senses, and combine to fight some bigger-than-is-reasonable bad guy, right?

As an unbiased observer, I second and third this suggestion. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Protectors meet a lot of the hew and cry for heroes on this thread as well as having a tremendous depth and history that adds flavor to the CU universe.

I would absolutely LOVE to see the Protectors brought back n CUII or in a revision of TS&P.

...What's the chance of you getting a license from Hero Games to publish your Champions By The Bay manuscript? I've wanted to read that for years. :bounce:

Yeah, I was always sad that we never published that book. It would have been similar to Aaron's Strike Force, and would have included a lot of info on using San Francisco as a backdrop for a campaign. But, well, you know... Iron Crown Enterprises had some real problems with paying people back then... (Grrr. Don't get me started...)

At this point, it would pretty much have to begin from scratch. It would also have to be a collaborative effort with another author doing the bulk of the work. Heck, it's been over 20 years since the original players of the Protectors campaign were together; I've got some moldy notes in a cardboard box somewhere, and I certainly have a head full of memories and design ideas that I think would be fun to see refined. But I just don't have the time or passion to do it myself at this point in my life.

Besides, my style of characters doesn't always fit well with the more modern take on Champions. I was really into comics from the 70s, and those were sometimes a bit more "four-color" and reductionary compared to today (Wolfman's run at Teen Titans, Englehart's Detective Comics, any of those great old Justice League - Justice Society summer crossovers, etc.). I think that's why some people really liked Alien Enemies (they were all cliches, after all) and some people didn't find it useful. A bigger example would be my rewrite of Deathstroke -- I still think the humorous approach fit a niche in the Champions Universe, and I was already making fun of the original team anyway. But some people just hated it.

The Protectors, on the other hand, are pretty classic and diverse. They've got an alien, a ninja, an archer, and a magician. There's the super-strongman, the cyborg, and the scientist. One is armor-based, another ties into ancient Greek mythology. There's a guy who controls weather and one who reads minds. Blaster, Brick, Martial Artist, Mentalist... yup, they're all there. In fact, just about every major cliche from comic book teams is represented, and you can find elements of most major heroes represented on the team somehow (with perhaps the exception of Spider-Man, now that I think about it).

We even had an academy for younger heroes that would have made Champs by the Bay at some point. The gimmick was that each hero at the academy had a pretty limited power and could never solo well. So, for example, there was Oracle who could read minds but had no offensive or defensive capabilities, Aegis who was pretty much invulnerable but had no attacks, Proxy who could teleport and switch places with anyone else (great for jumping in front of a bus and hoping she made her activation roll), Lightning who could run really, really fast (but didn't have all the other abilities of the classic speedster... just movement), Spook who was always desolid and could turn invisible, etc. They were a lot of fun as a team, because we didn't hold back on the humor. The classic adventure was when the decided to pull a mean-spirited prank on one of the Protectors who had been harsh on them; they decided to activate an old Mechanon unit with a command like "destroy his car," without realizing that the unit only understood one word commands (i.e., "destroy"), and then they had to try and turn the thing off and get the base repaired before the Protectors got home.

Anyways, I doubt anything like Champs by the Bay will ever happen, but it would be fun to at least see the old heroes be resurrected for a new generation. (Oh, and someone really needs to get me an Adam Hughes illustration for these guys at some point... check out the credits for the cover for Alien Enemies... the wonderful cover that never happened... *sniff*)

-- S

As an unbiased observer, I second and third this suggestion. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Protectors meet a lot of the hew and cry for heroes on this thread as well as having a tremendous depth and history that adds flavor to the CU universe.

I would absolutely LOVE to see the Protectors brought back n CUII or in a revision of TS&P.

I agree wholeheartedly with Cardinal and Lord Liaden. Bring back the Protectors!

I agree wholeheartedly with Cardinal and Lord Liaden. Bring back the Protectors!
Absolutely! That was one team that absolutely kicked... uh... well, you know what I mean. ;)

I also think it would be very cool to see Champions By The Bay on the 2008 schedule. :D

The Protectors was one of my favorites, although, I never ran the adventure, I used the characters. I would love to see an update of these guys.

The other group I would not mind seeing again would have to be the Zodiac. Some of the pieces never quite fit on that team IMO but I loved how they could operate. Hmm Intelligent Space Ship that the leader found which could teleport you anywhere in the world and back again. Now where have I read that one. That team if handled properly (and with a few character rewrites)could easily be America's Eurostar.

The Protectors was one of my favorites' date=' although, I never ran the adventure, I used the characters. I would love to see an update of these guys.[/quote']

I love the Protectors! Each time I've started a Champions campaign since owning the book, I've either used them and/or their adventure for a campaign; however, each campaign has died before I was able kick the adventure completely off (generally just foreshadowing worked and the point up to).

The other group I would not mind seeing again would have to be the Zodiac.
Hooyah! :rockon: A former GM used to always have them in his campaigns. Before I joined the group, the PCs had a crossbow-weilding member named Sagittarius who just happened to (unintentionally) kill Zodiac's Sagittarius in a violent, efficient shot. Even though he had been a hero, Taurus decided to offer the PC Sagittarius the "open slot" for membership. The player basically rationalized that he'd not be able to live as a hero any more and accepted the offer.

In a different campaign (one that I was in and before I knew of Zodiac), I had a character named Orion who was a demigod (son of Zeus and a mortal, go figure :). He ended up meeting members of Zodiac piecemeal. Two that stick out are meeting Virgo (who he innocently offered to save her from the worry of future virgin sacrifices attempts) at a bar and then meeting Taurus in combat (team vs. team) to which he exclaimed "Brother?!" They had a slight conversation and agreed to reconvene the battle at a later date.

maybe incorporate some of the characters from Teen Champions after a few years more experience and show how the presence of a "Under-21 team" interacts with the established heroes.

Give a few tantalizing hints of what the Big bads like Ishta;'na Vu (?) have been up to.

Are there non-superheoric aliens and extradimensionals living on Earth? If so, does the public know about them and how are they percieved?

Has interaction with the old pagan pantheons in whatever form they have shown themselves affected miodern religious belief? are the old gods picking up new worhsippers, and how do they feel about that? what do people like the Pope have to say about this?