CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Darren Watts

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

I'm going to throw in a vote for less new characters/teams/full-writeup-y bits, and more on society, customs, legal issues, and other sf extrapolation-oriented stuff. Ways that the not-quite-super-but-still-better-than-our tech (the manufacturable stuff) affects life. How the certain knowledge that Man Is Not Alone has affected religions, ideologies, etc. Mindrape Survivors self-help groups. How the tourist industry is dealing with Atlantis. The kinds of things that the latest She-Hulk series delved into, with the superhuman-oriented law office.

There'll be tons of other books that are just as appropriate to put the write-ups; this is the book that should provide the context. I want to mine the ideas, I don't care about getting pre-crunched numbers and page space wasted telling me that the Secretary of DOSPA is darn good at crocheting. Broad strokes, and yeah, a de-emphasis on the U.S. It's the 21st century; there's a whole world right here now, not "out there".

I realize I'm outvoted on here, but I had to try. :)

I'm going to throw in a vote for less new characters/teams/full-writeup-y bits, and more on society, customs, legal issues, and other sf extrapolation-oriented stuff. Ways that the not-quite-super-but-still-better-than-our tech (the manufacturable stuff) affects life. How the certain knowledge that Man Is Not Alone has affected religions, ideologies, etc. Mindrape Survivors self-help groups. How the tourist industry is dealing with Atlantis. The kinds of things that the latest She-Hulk series delved into, with the superhuman-oriented law office.

There'll be tons of other books that are just as appropriate to put the write-ups; this is the book that should provide the context. I want to mine the ideas, I don't care about getting pre-crunched numbers and page space wasted telling me that the Secretary of DOSPA is darn good at crocheting. Broad strokes, and yeah, a de-emphasis on the U.S. It's the 21st century; there's a whole world right here now, not "out there".

I'll second all that.

This items still shows up in the product list as "Late 2006." Is that still a realistic forecast?

I'm still shooting at December- it's certainly possible it could flop over into January, but right now there's no reason to think later than that. Mice and men, of course... dw

I'll second all that.

I agree, more about the Champions Universe and less about the characters that inhabit it.

I also like the idea of adventure ideas and scenarios, some pages can't hurt.

Three things come to mind...

1) an brief update on Vibora Bay. I know other cities will be touched on like MC and New York, but this needs inclusion

2) I second the call for updated Minutemen...

3) Some ideas on how to incorporate different sub-genres into a cohesive whole. I.E. Champions in Vibora or Mystics in Hudson City, or Vigilantes in Vibora, etc...

How about some more information on International (ie non U S) supers ? "Champions Worldwide" did okay but I would like to see a bit more of a writeup on supers in other countries, as well as the differences in the laws that could effect heros who visit those countries.

I haven't really commented on this thread before now because I didn't really have anything to add beyond "Yeah, what he said." (I know, when has that ever stopped me before, right?) ;)

But the more I think about it the more it seems there’s a core question here that needs asking, which is: How much is CUII intended to be an “update file” for those of us that already have CU, vs a stand-alone work designed to introduce new players to the CU? Obviously, those two approaches aren’t mutually exclusive, and I would hope CUII is designed to do some of both. The problem is that what works for one approach may not be the best choice for the other. For example, updating the Champions to a veteran-level team makes sense as an update; but if you’re just starting out, what you need most is examples of 350-point Heroes to give you a baseline for character creation. Similarly, while I think leaving out mini-campaigns and scenarios makes sense for me personally, for new GMs that may be the single most important part – something that you can pull out of the box and run with to get a feel for the system.

Maybe this has already been addressed in another thread somewhere. It just seems like a number of the things that us “old timers” are requesting may not be what’s best from a standpoint of attracting newbies. Again, I don’t think it’s a question of “either-or.” More like “how much of each?”

If there were to be updates to the Champions or new super teams included I would love to see more of an emphasis on the team history and the character history to give them legacies. These legacies can then be used by GM's and PC's to develop their characters, giving the NPC team some real purpose in a game. What if the Champions had a previous member called Seeker (just picking a name off the top of my head you understand :D)? A PC might have been trained by the retired super and has taken the name Seeker. They might also inherit any enemies or rivalries from the legacy.

IMO it would give the Champions Universe a real sense of being alive and real that I feel lacks in the current incarnation.

Some narratives would be great' date=' too. There's a separate thread on the "Battle of Detroit dead list," and to tell that one in narrative fashion would be extremely cool. (See the history of DEMON for what I'm talking about.)[/quote']

I'd love to see that myself.

I'd like to see more support for different playstyles with different -types- of heroes and villains. Sure, DC comics has the Justice League, and if you're fine with that, you're fine with that. But some people want to play the Doom Patrol or even the Trenchcoat Brigade.

Take some of the most critically acclaimed comics and put a CU twist. Rip off Planetary and Hellboy (secret investigators of the CU's superheroic or mystic history), Rip off Stormwatch (Superpowered spy operations and realpolitick,) Rip off Doom Patrol (Strange supers and misfit men played seriously in a surreal environment,) Rip off Runaways (Teen Champions with evil family ties surviving on their own,) Rip off Danger Girl (Over-the-top Spy Action,) Rip off The Incredibles (a superpowered family,)

I'd also like to see a DaVinci Code/National Treasure like secret society that is hiding dark secrets, money - and if you ask me Black Mask I is the guy to bury the clues, and Black Mask III is the girl to start unearthing them.

I'd really like to see more street-level superheroic stuff. Not the Dark Champions but more the Batman/Daredevil level. Most of the Champions stuff is too high for what I want and most of the Dark Champions stuff too low. I want that middle ground if it's possible.

Despite having already said what I would like to see, I realize that I have answered the wrong question. What I answered was "what would I like to see in a champions supplement" in general. Transmetahuman has hit the nail quite squarely on head here and I would also like to weigh in behind his suggestion. As much as I would like to see write ups on other superheroes, this information would be more usefull to a wider range of people, I think. Rep for Transmetahuman.

I concur. This sort of thing is extremely useful for developing the unique flavor of a setting, which sets it apart from every other comic-book universe. I can't help comparing the CU to the classic supplement for GURPS Supers, GURPS I.S.T. (International Super Teams). Sure there were a bunch of characters written up, but the book also gave us rich details on how the presence of superbeings had affected politics, the law, the economy, religion, science etc. It's one big reason why that book is still respected and fondly remembered by supers gamers many years later.

I've often heard complaints that the official Champions Universe is "bland" (I don't agree, but I can see where the complaints are coming from). More along the lines above could really breathe more life into it. And I can't see any other proposed book on the schedule where that would be appropriate, besides Champions Universe II.

If it hasn't already been done in Everyman or elsewhere, the CU could really use a 'Fashion designer to the supers' like Edna Mode in the Incredibles Movie, or maybe a company that is in the biz of providing durable supercloth to heroes who are tired of nearly violating the comic code authority.

I don't know if anyone will remember, but in one of the earlier versions of Champions, the examples in the back (Crusader, Icicle, etc) had both a Hero and Villan description. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, where write ups can work for either. YMMV though.

I don't know if anyone will remember' date=' but in one of the earlier versions of Champions, the examples in the back (Crusader, Icicle, etc) had both a Hero and Villan description. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, where write ups can work for either. YMMV though.[/quote']This would be extra handy for the "negative universe" versions as well. :)

So brainstorm away about what else you think would be neato to see! dw

Dr. Destroyer gone. Either killed or captured. Permanently. No more appearances, no more gradoise schemes that only happen in the background. Gone from the CU as an active character. :straight:

I'd like to see Gravitar killed off by Eurostar, because she's a shallow character and Eurostar would make it happen. :ugly:

I'd also like to see PRE-FREd characters brought back into the CU. While I think the 5E update was needed the universe "reboot" pretty much eliminated all the characters I loved to use. :(

(Well, you did ask what did I want to see.)

If it hasn't already been done in Everyman or elsewhere' date=' the CU could really use a 'Fashion designer to the supers' like Edna Mode in the Incredibles Movie, or maybe a company that is in the biz of providing durable supercloth to heroes who are tired of nearly violating the comic code authority.[/quote']

Sun's Suits: The Art of Wear. I try to introduce this store into all my campaigns. Some people find it funny (:lol:) and some just roll their eyes (:rolleyes:) but I like it. :)