CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Darren Watts

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Oh yeah, I had some fond memories of the Zodiac, more as a player than a GM. As a GM I tried to concentrate on their strengths and have a complete grasp of their weaknesses because, I got to tell you, that team could get hammered pretty easily if you did not know what you were doing.

But the most fun I had was when the whole team became more or less my solo heroes archenemy. I made a solo hero that was pretty much based around a wolverine type of power build but without the metal skeleton. He was a cop in a special branch of the Chicago Police force. His partner was the former hero known as Crusader. He was also a coward.

He did not want to fight anyone unless, and this was the important bit, he was backed inot a corner then all hell would break loose. On a call he and his partner went to apprehend some criminals that turned out to be the Conquerors. Okay that was bad. Then in the middle of it The Zodiac showed up. They had a disagreement with Binder over something. Seeing how bad this situation was going to be and still recovering from the fight I asked them all to sit down and maybe we could talk about it for a while (hoping against hope that backup would arrive.) We sat down talked a little had some breadsticks and then Bam! Superbrawl! Zodiac on one side, Conquerors on the other and me in the middle. Long story short when the dust cleared and the camera crews arrived guess who was the only one still standing? Yep. Instant fame as the lone hero that defeated two villian teams. Not something a guy who would rather stay home and eat pizza really wanted. Things for him went downhill from there. God I loved that character.

We now return you to your regular broadcast.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe incorporate some of the characters from Teen Champions after a few years more experience and show how the presence of a "Under-21 team" interacts with the established heroes.

Give a few tantalizing hints of what the Big bads like Ishta;'na Vu (?) have been up to.

Are there non-superheoric aliens and extradimensionals living on Earth? If so, does the public know about them and how are they percieved?

Seconded

The Protectors are kinda sidetracking Darren's thread - whether or not they ever eventually make it into the official Champions Universe, I think it's safe to assume they won't be in CU II. Fitting them into continuity would take some revisions of the characters, which Darren and Steve are extremely unlikely to undertake at this point.

However, with this level of positive response I think we should start a separate thread to actually sound out support for bringing back the Protectors. That would probably be a better place than here to put the Protector-love. It might be helpful to make it a poll, not just for whether or not it should be done, but how people would like to see it done. Maybe you guys could give some input on how the various options should be phrased? These are my preliminary thoughts on the matter:

As an official part of the Champions Universe, revised to fit as necessary;

As an updating of the original adventure, To Serve And Protect;

As a full campaign sourcebook (Champions By The Bay);

Character updates and setting info released piecemeal, like the current Strike Force proposal;

Not interested in the Protectors.

A poll like that should probably be multiple choice, too. Do you agree with listing those options, and are there others that I forgot?

LL is right.

Darn him.

Getting back to the subject of what we want in the CU update...

I have to agree that touching on more how society interacts with superheroes and how the relation has grown or changed between them works nicely. Perhaps incorporate some of the events in past supplements and what affect they had. Are the Superpower granting drugs in Villiany Amok a a growing problem in the CU for example? Are athletes now taking deritivities of Brute? Are any companies buying up VIPER nests after superheroes expose them? Maybe some former nests are now underground apartment complexes of all things. Are copyright laws in effect to keep a hero's image from being used without his permission? Perhaps only if he registered? etc. Weird little touches like that would make a few interesting paragraphs.

Hey all! I'm jumping the gun on this one a bit, 'cause Steve's got a bunch of work to do before he can turn to his share of this book, but because I write so much slower I'm getting a head start on my half right now. So, here's what's almost certainly going to be in the book to save some time:

1. An update of the Champs Universe timeline taking us up through 2006.

2. Updated versions of the Champions, at the "veteran hero" power level. (Consider Kinetik's new writeup in Ultimate Speedster a "sneak peek.")

3. Updated versions of a small number of other existing characters, as we decide they're useful and interesting.

4. Writeups and histories for both of the CU's more veteran hero teams, the Sentinels and Justice Squadron.

5. A new hero team, a new organization, and a handful of new villains.

6. At least one and probably 2-3 extended mini-campaigns and scenarios, featuring several of the above.

So brainstorm away about what else you think would be neato to see! dw

How about a write up on the Fabulous Five and the DOJ in the 1970sthrough the 80s?

Not to mention a 5th ed version of :

CLOWN [Criminal League of Wacky Nonconformists]

Red Doom

The Circle

METE{Metropolitan Extra Terestrial Enclave]

A Book of the Dead section which includes Professer Meurte.

A write up on the Arcadian Academy {from C:TNM}

How about a write up on the Fabulous Five and the DOJ in the 1970sthrough 80s?

Not to mention a 5th ed version of :

CLOWN [Criminal League of Wacky Nonconformists]

Red Doom

The Circle

METE{Metropolitan Extra Terestrial Enclave]

I think Steve would rather have to fight off kill-crazed carnivorous zebras with mutated drug-resistant rabies than re-admit CLOWN to the Champions Universe.

Unless you've got a few thousand dollars to bribe him' date=' Steve has pretty much said there will be no CLOWN in 5th Ed.[/quote']

I think it would taking something far more extreme than a bribe -- someting likr replacing Steve and everyone who works at Hero games with Pod People.

As for the C:TNM, we're all trying very hard to forget that ever happened.

A "Book of the Dead" would actually be pretty cool to see. :cool: There are certainly enough named deceased characters in the CU by now, especially due to Takofanes' debut rampage and the Battle of Detroit. They'd be good for adventures set in earlier eras, and as a source of legacy characters.

A write up on the Arcadian Academy {from C:TNM}

Ravenswood Academy, as detailed in Teen Champions, is filling the "school for young supers" niche in the current CU.

Here's a thought--if they haven't been done already, how about some of the villains mentioned (but not statted out) in Conquerors, Killers And Crooks on pages 100, 146, 158, and 215?

And again, if they haven't appeared in other HERO publications, some of the heroes and villains mentioned in the original Champions Universe? Perhaps Bulwark, Fusillade and Swordfish could be declassified, along with Project Achilles and Project Ascension. Also, someone might have by now uncovered the identity of the superhuman who secretly builds houses for Habitat For Humanity, as well as a few other "hidden" supers.

I wouldn't mind some funny stuff, too--maybe a Lightning Man And Falcon Girl comic strip sprinkled throughout the book, or a one-panel cartoon with Steve Long sitting at his desk with Seeker, Crusader, Starburst, Beamline, Timemaster, and a bunch of other characters who didn't make into 5th Edition scowling down at him.

SEEKER: "Mate--we need to talk."

And Foxbat--definitely Foxbat. Remember the strip in the original Champions III supplement where he tried to sneak into Guardians HQ to steal Mechanon's brain? An update of that strip is long overdue.

And maybe you could get :hail: *George Perez* to do some centerfold illustrations from Uncaped. That would be really nice, wouldn't it?

Please? Pleeeease? :yes::cheers::yes:

1. Superhuman Criminal Law: I would like to see a section on Criminal Law with reguards to superhumans.

2. Superhuman Rights Commission: What Rights do Superhumans have in the Champions Universe.

3. Superhuman Criminal justice: I know I know, but until Stronghold comes out I will continue to Champion the casue.

More later

QM

I think this would rock as a separate supplement for 2008.

The rest, minus the Academy but adding in VOICE and other popular villains, heroes, and such that didn't get into the new universe, might make decent fodder for an "alternate universe" book, too.

The rest' date=' minus the Academy but adding in VOICE and other popular villains, heroes, and such that didn't get into the new universe, might make decent fodder for an "alternate universe" book, too.[/quote']I'd like to play in that universe!

1. Superhuman Criminal Law: I would like to see a section on Criminal Law with reguards to superhumans.

2. Superhuman Rights Commission: What Rights do Superhumans have in the Champions Universe.

3. Superhuman Criminal justice: I know I know, but until Stronghold comes out I will continue to Champion the casue.

More later

QM

Subscribe.

After 20 years of meta humas is impossible that no one write a law about them.

I think that the main problem for me is the integration between a pre-existing campaign and the new one. If a GM use the CUII for new one setting all is ok, but I play campaign started in 1995 (yes a long term campaign). The original one ended in 2001 with a great battle against the evil main organizzation which subdle tried to conquer the world. Recently we re-start the campaign with a "five years later" settings. I had to integrate my sinopsys with the new Champions generation (I recently played the Battle for Detroit where the PG and others fight Dr. D for a total of 15 heroes again the Doctor).

It will be interesting a complete description of old plots. What I mean is "What the hell is doing all these heroes and criminals while we are talking?".

It's impossible that only the Players had adventures. In five years even other team had fight, win and loose battles. If you may add these informations these can be used from to add information to the campaign and/or create new adventures.

...And bring back the Protector and Quasar!

Subscribe.

After 20 years of meta humas is impossible that no one write a law about them.

I think that the main problem for me is the integration between a pre-existing campaign and the new one. If a GM use the CUII for new one setting all is ok, but I play campaign started in 1995 (yes a long term campaign). The original one ended in 2001 with a great battle against the evil main organizzation which subdle tried to conquer the world. Recently we re-start the campaign with a "five years later" settings. I had to integrate my sinopsys with the new Champions generation (I recently played the Battle for Detroit where the PG and others fight Dr. D for a total of 15 heroes again the Doctor).

It will be interesting a complete description of old plots. What I mean is "What the hell is doing all these heroes and criminals while we are talking?".

It's impossible that only the Players had adventures. In five years even other team had fight, win and loose battles. If you may add these informations these can be used from to add information to the campaign and/or create new adventures.

...And bring back the Protector and Quasar!

I would find that really helpful for my own campaign. I messed with the timeline a little and had The Champions appear in 1996 and they are based in Chicago. (I knew that eventualy we were going to get an update for some of these characters so my PC's have not met the Champions yet, but they hear about them.) I placed my PC's in Millenium City in 2001 (we are about to make the leap to 2002 after the climatic fight with The Crowns of Krim). My PC's are tackling everything the book said that the Champions went up against. Beyond that I try to run an official universe as close as I can. A timeline for other heroes and villians during this period would be invaluable to me. Of course I would where other GM's might go eh.

I would find that really helpful for my own campaign. I messed with the timeline a little and had The Champions appear in 1996 and they are based in Chicago. (I knew that eventualy we were going to get an update for some of these characters so my PC's have not met the Champions yet' date=' but they hear about them.) I placed my PC's in Millenium City in 2001 (we are about to make the leap to 2002 after the climatic fight with The Crowns of Krim). My PC's are tackling everything the book said that the Champions went up against. Beyond that I try to run an official universe as close as I can. A timeline for other heroes and villians during this period would be invaluable to me. Of course I would where other GM's might go eh.[/quote']

yeah! :thumbup:

"My" Champions team are the first Governament Official team, they are based in Washington DC and are at the second formation. The first one was hardly beated in a fight by Mechanon (in the middle-period of limbo not played) when Seeker loosed the use of legs and Obsidian died to stop the Mechanon's Annilhation machine. The new team is the same of new Champions Universe (the fifth ed. one). The PC are based in New York with another powerfull NPC team: The Freedom Force (second version. A new formation after the first one was destroyed in the astonishing "Voice of Doom" adventure).

By now, Detroit is destroyed and Millennium city will born in few months...

Well, when I'm done with the current spat of adventures in Digital Hero, I'm going to be focussing on a series of "Building your world and how to get it where you want it to go" articles for DH, so if you're looking for alternate universes and the like, there will be stuff. Oh, yes. Lots of stuff. Eventually, TWENTY PLUS years of stuff. (By the time it all gets out there, I'll be a geezer. WHEE!)

Well' date=' when I'm done with the current spat of adventures in Digital Hero, I'm going to be focussing on a series of "Building your world and how to get it where you want it to go" articles for DH, so if you're looking for alternate universes and the like, there will be stuff. Oh, yes. Lots of stuff. Eventually, TWENTY PLUS years of stuff. (By the time it all gets out there, I'll be a geezer. WHEE!)[/quote']

So do you write for DH?

I tried to submit some materials but without reply (for now).

I think it will be interesting, and I thinked to an article too.

let me know when you'll finish it.

Chains of Doom in next month's Digital Hero.

Unkindness soon.

Secret Origins II soon.

Foxbat for President soon.

Mind over Matter soon.

Then many, many articles on building a world (Which is called Legacies), rewriting a world, etc. The first one will probably be about parameters and where you want your planet to be. The second will be How to make a world history, how to have a Crisis or Infinite Crisis style event without making it stupid, plus a villain that can make it happen...

There will, of course, still be adventures. People LOVE adventures. It's just that all adventures will be designed to operate with the Legacies material.

Then you'll see what came out of that. Lots and lots of it.

The Council Shall Rule The World!

And the Oligarch Shall Rule the Council...

plot seeds that build on other plot seeds and scenarios that were previously published (what happens to the production of To Save The World after the events of Fatal Attractions in Champions Battlegrounds?).

This is an excellent idea. I'd like to see that in the book.

I also think that it needs to include plot hooks, to the point that it's overflowing with them. I don't mean a meta plot that enforces some type of continuity into everyone's game. But the gambits, schemes, or whatever they were called from the 1E Freedom City book was great, and I'd like to see this book have something similar for villains and organizations.

I'd also steal an idea from San Angelo, and leave some heroes unnamed, and some history attributed to . Basically, so the GM gets a red carpet to populate those elements with their PCs and NPCs.

Along the lines of evolution of plots from previous sources, I'd like to see both where the plot is now (if the PC's haven't been involved/if the GM didn't use that hook yet), and where things are at assuming some hero group has stopped the aforementioned plot (i.e. if the GM has used it and wants to revisit that villain/group). I think this builds a lot of usefulness into the product.

It is useful on its own, and it expands the usefulness of previous products that you own.